cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid 19 free data from cell phone providers

lahtyo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canadian-telecom-companies-remove-internet-overage-fees

As per the above amidat Covid 19 there is  free data from cell phone providers.  Could public mobile do the same asap?

9 REPLIES 9

ChopstickHero
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Some extra data would be nice as they've done in the past. 1GB bonus or whatever. 

Most people who are able to WFH should upgrade their internet service to unlimited caps. 

Rogers is now for 90 days waiving roam-like-home fees, long-distance charges in Canada, and guaranteeing no accounts are disconnected due to financial difficulties for the next 90 days:

https://www.rogers.com/covid-19/updates?icid=bu-hpmbccon-hrcwrls-080119597

Waiving the roam-like-home fees will be very helpful to anyone still abroad.

Mark_C
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Technically most plans provide additional data at a reduced speeds once the 3G data limit is reached. I'm assuming you're either referring to increasing the addition free data to 3G, or including free slow data with the $15 plan, if that plan doesn't already have free slow data.

The decision comes down to a business stand point. Other telecoms are charging high fees, and high overage fees. If their users go over their data limit, users may consider switching providers or request overage fees be waived. Anticipating a lot of users exceeding their data limits, those business took a proactive approach in waiving their overage fees. By waiving their overage fees less calls would be made to their company, which lowers operating costs, and less users defaulting on their accounts. These are both outcomes that are good for the company.

Here at PM plans are affordable so, I don't see users being burdened by overage fees. However, there is a case that plans that do not have data should be given free promotional data at slow speeds. The benefits of providing slow promotional data for a limited time would be: getting users on lower priced plans to see the benefits of upgrading to a plan with data, which would give them incentive to upgrade their plan at a later date; and allowing users to access information related to the COVID-19 pandemic to take appropriate measures, such as social distancing. I believe from an equity perspective, all plans should at least have access to data at slow speeds. Especially since the most vulnerable, who may not be able to afford higher priced phone plans, are the ones who most need access to information provided online. 

@Nezgar wrote:

Thing is, Public Mobile doesnt have overage fees,

Exactly!

so you can't directly compare unless they temporarily remove the data caps...

Which I don't see happening, given that there will always be SOMEONE(and potentially, LOTS of someones) that will attempt to download the internet, in its' entirety, via their cell phone(s).

Those announcements have all been for wire-line internet service so far.

BUT. Today,  SaskTel was the first I've seen announce they are waiving wireless overage fees. Maybe more to come.

https://support.sasktel.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25281

Thing is, Public Mobile doesnt have overage fees, so you can't directly compare unless they temporarily remove the data caps...

@mimmo  I was JUST going to reply similarly - the OP obviously didn't read the article too closely..... there IS mention of Telus & Koodo, but only so far as postpaid plans, and roaming.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lahtyo  are you sure.  i dont see anything about cellular. i see home internet plans.

• Telus is waiving home internet overage charges for customers who are not on unlimited data plans.
  • Bell Canada has followed suit, announcing that it too will be waiving extra usage fees for all residential internet customers to assist Canadians working from home.
  • Rogers and Fido have temporarily removed data usage caps for customers on limited home internet plans so they can stream, surf and connect without worrying about internet overage charges. These measures are in place from now until May 31.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

Speaking of that SORT of thing, I got an email recently, from Shaw(our TV & internet provider), saying that they've removed the data caps on all internet plans..... guess I'll have to get started downloading the ENTIRE internet! 😉 

Need Help? Let's chat.