cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage across Canada

ladybearbc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

HI All

Next month we have to drive from Ontario to BC. We have driven across with other cell providers - Telus - and know that PM is a secondary carrier.

I'd like to know if there are any KNOWN blank areas of coverage travelling on the Trans Canada.

Is that for phone service or just data?

This will be our only form of communication for a couple of weeks.

Thank you

15 REPLIES 15

@brettster99 Telus and Bell do not roam onto each other's networks. They share the radio access, and use their own cores. Roaming is when you are connected to another operator's core.

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Considering as you know Public mobile is under Telus it’s the same coverage as Telus. It may change to Bell (Won’t say Bell think it will just say roaming but could be mistaken) if Telus does have an UNKNOWN blank spot. 

Doubtful but possible. The bars for connectivity mean for both data and phone and text so keep that in mind but I’m sure you will be fine 

@ladybearbc other than north-western Ontario where Rogers/Tbaytel is stronger, you will have excellent coverage with PM.

PM users cannot roam on other domestic networks for regular service, but you can always make a 911 call on any network.

@ladybearbc   Telus/bell have set up coverage that parallels the transCanada and major highways. You might get the odd blip in the mountains and if you take the coquihalla between Merritt and Hope there's about an hour or so section that has no coverage. Everywhere else is pretty good.

Starshoot
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Here's a coverage map that you can use to check for any blind spots. 

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

ladybearbc

Thank you

ladybearbc

Thank you - we noticed there is a different carrier up there a few years ago when we travelled it - and apparently you can't even use the phone for 911 on their network.

Has that changed?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@ladybearbc , I have done this route many times.  I assume you are taking the highway 17 across northern Ontario.  Coverage is spotty west of Sault Ste Marie until you get to Thunder Bay.  Tbaytel provides the best coverage up north but even their service has coverage holes.  It is difficult to have a signal along a zig zagging highway that is cut through rock.  

And then you hit the mountains. It is difficult to have a signal along valleys and passes.

Maybe it is the duration without signal, I hardly notice that much lost coverage going over the mountains.  It is a 7 hour drive between Soo and TBay.  There are hour long stretches with no signal.  There are far more moose than cell towers lol.

I see that on the coverage map. And then solid everything from TBay to the mountains. And then it's highway corridors in valleys and blobs of larger centres.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@ladybearbc 

When you look at the coverage area here:

This shows all the coverage of their cell towers. This would be coverage for their complete service not just text and call but data as well. 

That is just looking at it from an analytical point of view. But, someone may have insight that has travelled them parts..lol

Have a great day!

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@ladybearbc , I have done this route many times.  I assume you are taking the highway 17 across northern Ontario.  Coverage is spotty west of Sault Ste Marie until you get to Thunder Bay.  Tbaytel provides the best coverage up north but even their service has coverage holes.  It is difficult to have a signal along a zig zagging highway that is cut through rock.  

And then you hit the mountains. It is difficult to have a signal along valleys and passes.

Maybe it is the duration without signal, I hardly notice that much lost coverage going over the mountains.  It is a 7 hour drive between Soo and TBay.  There are hour long stretches with no signal.  There are far more moose than cell towers lol.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ladybearbc , I have done this route many times.  I assume you are taking the highway 17 across northern Ontario.  Coverage is very spotty on the Bellus network west of Sault Ste Marie until you get to Thunder Bay.  Tbaytel provides the best coverage up north but even their service has coverage holes.  It is difficult to have a signal along a zig zagging highway that is cut through rock.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ladybearbc PM is owned by Telus and runs on the same network. So if it worked without any problems using Telus. Then you shouldn't have any problems using PM. Stay safe.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Coverage should be good as PM uses Bell and Telus towers.  Here is a coverage map.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@ladybearbc You are on the same network as Telus and bell you should have no problems on the TransCanada

Need Help? Let's chat.