cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumption of minutes

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still not clear on this. I've scrolled through 5 pages of 124 pages of Plans & Add-ons. I've searched using some different keywords.

So say I have Canada-wide calling. I then purchase the 200 minute Canada/US Add-on. If I call in Canada, what minutes will get consumed? The unlimited of the plan or the 200 minutes of the Add-on (and then would it revert back to the unlimited of the plan)?

If I had Province-wide calling and I call in-province then the same question. If the number is technically long-distance from me then would the Add-on minutes be consumed first?

Calling the US I would easily assume that the 200 minutes would get consumed as I would have no other plan way to get there.

Thanks

26 REPLIES 26

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@krazykiwi:

The best I would go for before add-ons would be 30 days/province/texting for $25. Having this conversation is even making me entertain that. Then doing the 200 minute and maybe even the data add-on and let them stay alive until consumed but only paying once.

Baby steps 🙂

I'm now hearing @will13am haunting me with his "Never over purchase on the monthly plan" mantra.

Edit: And as far as BYO over plan...as I said I just kinda like the feel of a la carte.

If you really want to travel light, get the $10 for 50 minutes, 50 text plan, get a bucket of long distance minutes and data.  Actually, if you are light on usage, this will work fine. 

When I learned that typing half an essay in text was actually internally broken up into multiple pieces by the system and then re-assembled at reception and that each piece was counted as a text for the count...I would just as soon have unlimited.

Now...if there was a text add-on...

Change 99% of your texts / contacts to a messenger type app, like WhatsApp etc. and use the data add-on for "texting"? (WhatsApp voice calls are actually quite easy on the data bucket as well... most recent stat I have on hand is 90minutes for less than 30MB.)

@Anonymous wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to talk you into anything. I was trying to get your's and @will13am rationale cuz i may swap.

We all might have a different perception of needs over value. Sure...it might be great value to get 5.5GB of data. I simply don't need it and nor do I want to spend $45 to enjoy that value.

I now use my phone very little. I like having it though. Most of my calling is in-province. Very little elsewhere in Canada. Even less to the states. I used to use on average maybe 3-400MB of data on it in a month. Now? So far maybe still around the same if not a little less.

To change to add-ons rather covered in a plan would mean even more hands-on than this service is already but oh well...save a few pennies and be a little more hands-on.

Obviously a data plan can only be good value if you actually use most of the data on it.

When I first switched from $25 province-wide talk/text/1GB add-on (add-on spread over 5 months) I did the math as $20 (what the monthly plan costs more) divided by the full 5.5GB to have an idea of per GB cost ($3.63), but I ended up just using a bit more than 3GB on that first month ($6.66/GB) which is slightly more than what I paid for my data before ($30/5months = $6).

On the other hand, if you make that 1GB data add-on last half a year or more (<170MB per month) it can be quite good value. Worked out quite well for me until my data needs changed considerably this summer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

If you really want to travel light, get the $10 for 50 minutes, 50 text plan, get a bucket of long distance minutes and data.  Actually, if you are light on usage, this will work fine. 

When I learned that typing half an essay in text was actually internally broken up into multiple pieces by the system and then re-assembled at reception and that each piece was counted as a text for the count...I would just as soon have unlimited.

Now...if there was a text add-on...

@Anonymous wrote:

@krazykiwi:

The best I would go for before add-ons would be 30 days/province/texting for $25. Having this conversation is even making me entertain that. Then doing the 200 minute and maybe even the data add-on and let them stay alive until consumed but only paying once.

Baby steps 🙂

I'm now hearing @will13am haunting me with his "Never over purchase on the monthly plan" mantra.

Edit: And as far as BYO over plan...as I said I just kinda like the feel of a la carte.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krazykiwi wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to talk you into anything. I was trying to get your's and @will13am rationale cuz i may swap.

We all might have a different perception of needs over value. Sure...it might be great value to get 5.5GB of data. I simply don't need it and nor do I want to spend $45 to enjoy that value.

I now use my phone very little. I like having it though. Most of my calling is in-province. Very little elsewhere in Canada. Even less to the states. I used to use on average maybe 3-400MB of data on it in a month. Now? So far maybe still around the same if not a little less.

To change to add-ons rather covered in a plan would mean even more hands-on than this service is already but oh well...save a few pennies and be a little more hands-on.

@Anonymous wrote:

@krazykiwi:

Baby steps 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krazykiwi:

Baby steps 🙂

@wetcoaster wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

@wetcoaster we were talking about Build Your Own with no data so 3g/LTE not an issue.

@krazykiwi

What I tried to say is that the province wide = Canada wide talk price only works if you choose 3 options inclucing 3G data.

Yes, in that case you are correct and the build your own works out to the same price, and in some case you get more for the same money with a plan then you do with build your own. I had this same discussion earlier with a different user. She didn't need data so she went build your own Canada wide talk and International text for $30. Why not take the plan and you get data for the same price. You don't have to use it but it is there if you want! 

@Anonymous the reason why I question it is that I have tried many scenarios and I have always found Build Your own to be the same or more than the plans.

@krazykiwi wrote:

@wetcoaster we were talking about Build Your Own with no data so 3g/LTE not an issue.

@krazykiwi

What I tried to say is that the province wide = Canada wide talk price only works if you choose 3 options inclucing 3G data.

@Anonymous wrote:

Mix it around some. I see your $20. Just 30 days/province. Try adding data and texting and such and it changes or even same price in some cases.

Yeah, so you are going to have Canada wide talk & international text? Are you going to include data in build you own?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mix it around some. I see your $20. Just 30 days/province. Try adding data and texting and such and it changes or even same price in some cases.

@krazykiwi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

What are you thinking about getting with build your own?

I liked the a la carte feeling of build your own so I started there. I currently have 30 days/Canada-US/texting/500MB for $35.

I'm looking at this idea to go down to $30 with just Canada. (The province one is the same price as Canada so I may as well go Canada.)

Then get the 200 minute add-on and consume them slower over time but pay for it once and not $5 per month for little to no use.

I like @will13am's payback analysis.

I might be missing something but you are saying build your own for $30 you get Canada wide calling only and then you will get the 200 min add-on. Is this what you are saying? Why I ask is if you take the $30 plan you get Canada wide talk, International text and 500Mb. and then put the 200 min add-on for the same price?

I don't know about you guys but when i use the Build Your Own tool it says $20 for province wide and $30 for Canada wide!

The province-wide = Canada-wide price only works for selected 3G speed data*/talk/text plans. For example, the $25 talk & text only is province wide, add $5 for Canada-wide.

* Not able to check right now but it might be 2GB or more.

@Anonymous wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

I might be missing something but you are saying build your own for $30 you get Canada wide calling only and then you will get the 200 min add-on. Is this what you are saying? Why I ask is if you take the $30 plan you get Canada wide talk, International text and 500Mb. and then put the 200 min add-on for the same price?

I don't know about you guys but when i use the Build Your Own tool it says $20 for province wide and $30 for Canada wide!

Hmm. It comes up with $30 for both for me. I changed regions for curiosity and it was the same... albeit tested just once from BC to Ontario.

But no the add-on is not the same price. It's an additional $8...once.

Hmmm it is, I have tried several times with ON, BC & AB and they all show the same pricing. $20 for province & $30 for Canada.

Sorry meant that $30 for build your own + Add-on or $30 for the plan + add-on would be the same price.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krazykiwi wrote:

Hmm. It comes up with $30 for both for me. I changed regions for curiosity and it was the same... albeit tested just once from BC to Ontario.

But no the add-on is not the same price. It's an additional $8...once.

Edit: When you add some data then it seems to change alot. If I just do calling then it's a whole $10 different from province to country. Add even just 500mb/3g then they both come out to $30. Interesting.

@Anonymous wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

I liked the a la carte feeling of build your own so I started there. I currently have 30 days/Canada-US/texting/500MB for $35.

I'm looking at this idea to go down to $30 with just Canada. (The province one is the same price as Canada so I may as well go Canada.)

Then get the 200 minute add-on and consume them slower over time but pay for it once and not $5 per month for little to no use.

@Anonymous wrote:

@krazykiwi wrote:

Back in the day, there was differentiation between province wide and Canada wide calling.  It is nice to see the two being the same cost.  TBH, data is data and in the age of the internet, there are no political boundaries.  We should get the same costs for international calls.  We don't pay extra for data if we reach out to a server located across the globe.  Why should there be extra fees to call anywhere in the world?  Shameless cash grab perhaps. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am:

Were you able to address @krazykiwi's question just so we're all clear?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@krazykiwi wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks @krazykiwi and @will13am.

I've been reading about how the add-on is paid once and then consumed over time regardless of plan renewal and that then it just drops off.

So I's gots to thinking...:)...well...like @will13am said...just have the bucket to consume and then when it's done buy it again.

I chose Canada/US calling when I started. But truth be told I barely call the states. So I'm thinking to save $5 a month and go just Canada and pay the $8 for the 200 minutes once and then use them up over time. On the build-your-own, the province and Canada are the same price so I may as well go Canada.

I'll wait for @will13am's answer to @krazykiwi before I proceed but I'm not sure that's what he's saying if I understand anything right.

So does that all sound about right?

You hit the nail right on the head.  Since you mention the $8 for 200 minute add-on as the alternative to getting the Canada-US calling feature for $5 extra per month, the break even occurs if you call the US more than 125 minutes per month. If you don't even come close to that volume of usage, you are better off getting the non expiring minutes.  I have a province wide calling feature only.  Google voice gives me North America wide calling for free.  Even then, I don't call 125 minutes a month to the US, maybe that much in a year. 

Since I am covered for free calls to North America, I buy the $15 for 400 minutes international add-on.  I do make international calls.  One add-on purchase last me almost a year.

A lot of people fear extra charges to the point of overspending on their monthly plan to excess.  The so called "future proofing".  We have the prepaid feature to shield us from surprises.  Never over purchase on the monthly plan. 

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been reading about how the add-on is paid once and then consumed over time regardless of plan renewal and that then it just drops off.

So I's gots to thinking...:)...well...like @will13am said...just have the bucket to consume and then when it's done buy it again.

I chose Canada/US calling when I started. But truth be told I barely call the states. So I'm thinking to save $5 a month and go just Canada and pay the $8 for the 200 minutes once and then use them up over time. On the build-your-own, the province and Canada are the same price so I may as well go Canada.

I'll wait for @will13am's answer to @krazykiwi before I proceed but I'm not sure that's what he's saying if I understand anything right.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what @will13am was saying either, that's why I asked the question.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous, unless there is a glitch lurking in the system, all calls use the in plan calling feature first and if not included in that calling feature, the add-on minutes are consumed.  I have a province wide calling feature and that is what get tapped regardless of whether I am in the home province or travelling.  I have done it several times and it works.  I do have a bucket of international minutes which are drawn down only when I make international calls. 

@will13am so are you saying that when you call other provinces on your province wide plan it does not use your addon?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Anonymous, unless there is a glitch lurking in the system, all calls use the in plan calling feature first and if not included in that calling feature, the add-on minutes are consumed.  I have a province wide calling feature and that is what get tapped regardless of whether I am in the home province or travelling.  I have done it several times and it works.  I do have a bucket of international minutes which are drawn down only when I make international calls. 

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm still not clear on this. I've scrolled through 5 pages of 124 pages of Plans & Add-ons. I've searched using some different keywords.

So say I have Canada-wide calling. I then purchase the 200 minute Canada/US Add-on. If I call in Canada, what minutes will get consumed? The unlimited of the plan or the 200 minutes of the Add-on (and then would it revert back to the unlimited of the plan)?

If I had Province-wide calling and I call in-province then the same question. If the number is technically long-distance from me then would the Add-on minutes be consumed first?

Calling the US I would easily assume that the 200 minutes would get consumed as I would have no other plan way to get there.

Thanks

It always uses your plan minutes first. With a Canada wide plan you use minutes from your plan, same with province wide but if you call a different province with province wide then you start using your add on. Hope that answers your question. 

Plans are by area codes!

Need Help? Let's chat.