cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on "Unlimited Canada-wide Talk"

mak806
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I am new to Canada. I find the idea of "roaming / long-distance call charges" within the same country quite confusing. I have a couple of questions.

1. What does "Unlimited Canada-wide Talk" mean in Public Mobile plans mean exactly?

Does it mean I have unlimited incoming and outgoing minutes no matter where I am in Canada? or it only refers to unlimited incoming/outgoing while I am physically in the province where I bought the sim? Or what?

2. The data allowance in my plan is available to me only in the province of my service number or I can consume it anywhere in Canada?

Thanks in advance for your imminent help.

21 REPLIES 21

@ladybearbcIt depends on what OS your phone has.. if you have an iPhone you can use "Find My" app on another phone and use it to play a sound so you can locate it.

Similiar idea for Android https://support.google.com/android/answer/6160491?hl=en

ladybearbc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Probably the wrong section - but couldn’t find a topic that matched

i am pretty sure my phone has not been stolen and is just lost in my chaotic world. 

I tride to find some place on the website - but cannot see anywhere that I could look to ‘locate’ my phone

any ideas?

thank you

mak806

@chukdefatey wrote:

@mak806 wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Canada. I find the idea of "roaming / long-distance call charges" within the same country quite confusing. I have a couple of questions.

1. What does "Unlimited Canada-wide Talk" mean in Public Mobile plans mean exactly?

Does it mean I have unlimited incoming and outgoing minutes no matter where I am in Canada? or it only refers to unlimited incoming/outgoing while I am physically in the province where I bought the sim? Or what?

2. The data allowance in my plan is available to me only in the province of my service number or I can consume it anywhere in Canada?

Unlimited Canada Wide calling in Public Mobiles term means as long as your Phone is connected to Public/Bellus Network you can make UNLIMITED call from anywhere in Canada to anywhere in Canada.   

Comprehensive recap. 👌

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mak806 wrote:

Hi,

Unlimited Canada Wide calling in Public Mobiles term means as long as your Phone is connected to Public/Bellus Network you can make UNLIMITED call from anywhere in Canada to anywhere in Canada.   

TheGx

@mak806 wrote:

@GR, @Triguy, @TheGx, @Anonymous, @mimmo

Thanks a lot guys for clearing it up for me.

No problem, happy to help.

mak806

@GR, @Triguy, @TheGx, @Anonymous, @mimmo

Thanks a lot guys for clearing it up for me.

mak806

@Anonymous wrote:

@mak806 wrote:

Sounds good. Thanks.

So it means that the add-on "500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes $5" (at https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/plans) has not been re-worded to delete "long-distance" after abolishing the long-distance tariff. 

This is great to see all this reading that you're doing.

But it really is just easy.

All Public Mobile services work while IN Canada.

It's a rather large geography. All these terms are kinda old legacy terms when it used to be a patch-work of services all over the place. With corporate buy-outs and consolidations they have basically become obsolete.

Yup, got it, thanks, now it seems easy to me as well. 😄

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GR   this is slighty incorrect.  There are many people who still have plans which are provincial calling only (ie the 2016 fall promos etc.), they can use the 500 minutes to call out of province. Granted, for new customers yes you are correct as all plans now have canada wide calling.

@GR wrote:

@mak806  the 500 minutes add on is for people that have the 10$ or 15$ limited minute plans! The 20 minute us and Canada you would buy it you need to call from Canada to the United States 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mak806 wrote:

Sounds good. Thanks.

So it means that the add-on "500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes $5" (at https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/qc/plans) has not been re-worded to delete "long-distance" after abolishing the long-distance tariff. 

This is great to see all this reading that you're doing.

But it really is just easy.

All Public Mobile services work while IN Canada.

It's a rather large geography. All these terms are kinda old legacy terms when it used to be a patch-work of services all over the place. With corporate buy-outs and consolidations they have basically become obsolete.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheGx wrote:

@mak806 wrote:

Great, thanks. Problem solved.

While you are at it, please also respond to my third question. I copy it here again:

3. What does "Canada-wide Long Distance minutes" mean? What defines "long-distance"? Does it simply mean "out of province"?

Simply put, as long as you don't take your phone outside of Canada and don't call to places outside of Canada - it's all free.

Wel...except the plan or add-on cost. 🙂

mak806

Sounds good. Thanks.

TheGx

@mak806 wrote:

While you are at it, please also respond to my third question. I copy it here again:

3. What does "Canada-wide Long Distance minutes" mean? What defines "long-distance"? Does it simply mean "out of province"?

Simply put, as long as you don't take your phone outside of Canada and don't call to places outside of Canada - it's all free when you pay for that monthly plan.

TheGx

@mak806 wrote:

That means you can call out of province to anywhere in canada for free, including any province or territory, and also you can roam anywhere in canada too - roam means you can take your phone anywhere in canada and use it for free same as you would in your home town/province.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@mak806  long distance is an old term that used to be if it's not in your local calling are it would be long distance.  Now with public mobile it's all Canada wide, last  year they had a few province wide plans but those don't exist any more 

mak806

GR
Mayor / Maire

@mak806  the 500 minutes add on is for people that have the 10$ or 15$ limited minute plans! The 20 minute us and Canada you would buy it you need to call from Canada to the United States 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

1.  Both incoming and outgoing calls are unlimited in Canada.

2.  Data can be accessed throughout Canada.

mak806

Thanks for your response.

I thought so at first. But then I saw the following two add-ons:

500 Canada-wide Long Distance minutes for $5

200 U.S. & Canada Long Distance minutes for $8

This gives an otherwise impression.

mak806

In addition to the above:

3. What does "Canada-wide Long Distance minutes" mean exactly?

What defines "long distance"? Does it simply mean "out of province"?

GR
Mayor / Maire

@mak806  it means anywhere in Canada you can receive or send calls or text.

The data can also be used anywhere in Canada 

Need Help? Let's chat.