cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on "Province-wide Calling"

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi all, I'm a new customer to Public Mobile. I ported my number from Virgin and it was a super quick and easy process (took about 10 minutes for the port to be successful).

Anyways, regarding the province-wide calling in the plans, the wording is making me unclear as to whether it means that I am able to call anywhere within my home province where I signed up, or is it that I have calling within whichever province I might be visiting?

Thank you for any answers or insight!

13 REPLIES 13

@AndyZ wrote:

Thank you. One problem is resolved now. Can call from 647 to 637 and vice versa.

The CNAC website lists active area code and prefixes for Canadian phone numbers, but they make no mention of the 637 area code.  I've never heard of it  What areas does it cover?.  Are you asking about the 437 Toronto area code?  If not, please accept my appologies in advance.

AndyZ
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thank you. One problem is resolved now. Can call from 647 to 637 and vice versa.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You could future data your an change but I would recommend contacting the mods if you haven't used data and don't want it because they maybe able to give you a credit. Mods will also be able to get the other area code working on your account.

If you want Data to work we should be able to get it working. The APN settings need to be exact when I was new to PM I accidentally had a capital letter and it wouldn't work. Even if you opt out of data you will want Data to work for sending and recieve picture texts 

AndyZ

Thank you for help. Yes, all settings were verified and correct. Just no data, even 3G.

Text and Talk work fine, can call to 647 and 905. But not to 637. The code is relatively new for the province though...

Thank you anyway. I am very pleased with the Commuty and expecially with the enthusiasts who is willing to help. I bought the 30-day plan for guests just recently (with 2GB on LTE). After discovering that the date is unavalalbe I wanted to switch the plan to add a Canada wide option and opt out of the data and found that I have no funds available on my plan to switch even to the $10 plan. Frustrating.... having paid almost $70 just a few days ago and not being able to use them up...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AndyZ, your call should be working.  Are you able to call other numbers?  If so I recommend contacting the moderator team.   As for data, make sure your APN settings are  correct for public mobile. 

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

AndyZ

My plan is Province-wide talk, however, I cannot make a call from 647 to 637 area code even though they both are GTA codes! Also the LTE data is not working in my Nexus 4 (to my surprise).

Will quit the Public Mobile - too much hussle to make it working. Luckily, I have the 7-11 SIM! 

ute1978

@mimmo wrote:

Maybe someone else will have a better chance of finding the post or even confirm/deny my statement.

I am one of the lucky members who benefit from the good system bug. All my incoming calls from all over the world are free no matter where I am in Canada. (I have the long distance add on, but no minutes are being deducted.)

bryclops
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Two of my referrals have also gone out of Ontario on road trips to Quebec and Nova Scotia without an add on and did receive calls as well, so it does not appear to be account specific.

pakmode wrote: 

That's pretty cool - but it's obviously a bug.

The system is designed to work as previous posts have described. 

pakmode

@bryclops wrote:

I am from Ontario and can confirm that when I was in Nova Scotia and received incoming calls that my long distance add on was not depleted.  Only when I made calls back to Ontario phone numbers was my long distance add on used.  I was able to call pizza stores in Halifax without my long distance add on being used.

That's pretty cool - but it's obviously a bug.

The system is designed to work as previous posts have described. 

bryclops
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I am from Ontario and can confirm that when I was in Nova Scotia and received incoming calls that my long distance add on was not depleted.  Only when I made calls back to Ontario phone numbers was my long distance add on used.  I was able to call pizza stores in Halifax without my long distance add on being used.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@luke11992 , both @computergeek541 and @Taekgun are correct on how it should work..   but to just add some possible confusion,  I vaguley recall reading a thread a month or so back that stated people were actually able to recieve calls while out of their home province and who did not have the log distance addon.  I could not find the thread,  I do not know if it was a bug or not.  I have not been out of BC and I do have the long distance addon so i am unable to confirm my statement.    Maybe someone else will have a better chance of finding the post or even confirm/deny my statement.

all that being said, I would personally buy the $15 long didtance addon as a safety feature.  I bought mine over a year ago and ony used about 40 minutes of the 400.  its a great investment.

Taekgun

@luke11992

Just to expand on @computergeek541 reply a bit more so you're 100% clear, he's absolutely right about province wide calling but if you are not in your home province, you will not be able to receive calls without a long distance add-on.

Read the following thread with a great diagram which explains all situations for province wide calling.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Province-wide-Canada-wide-and-Long-Dis...

(Thanks to @ute1978)

For outgoing calls, it is always based on the province that you are currently in.  Your home address or where the phone number is from makes zero difference for outgoing calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.