cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing plans

moegagner
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all,

If I want to change my plan to a data only plan for 1 or 2 months, would I lose my phone number? I'm assuming not, but I want to make sure.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@computergeek541 wrote:

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 I could be wrong, but I believe you still get the texts from Public Mobile even without having a texting plan, since it's how they communicate with you about your renewals and offers and such.

Mary stated about 2 years ago that it wouldn't happen.  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/No-SMS-text-plan/m-p/150669/highlight/tru...

I've never personally tested this on a Public Mobile service without texting/mms as part of the plan.

@computergeek541 oops sorry missed your reply earlier.  Mary may well be right, but sometimes the stated policy does not match the actual real-world result.  If she's right, PM is shooting itself in the foot by not being able to contact you via text.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

Would data-only plan holders still get texts from 100 or 611 etc.?

Wouldn't texts need to connect via a phone number?

However, receiving text messages won't be possible without a texting plan, at least from the information that I have seen in the Community.

@computergeek541 I could be wrong, but I believe you still get the texts from Public Mobile even without having a texting plan, since it's how they communicate with you about your renewals and offers and such.

Mary stated about 2 years ago that it wouldn't happen.  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/No-SMS-text-plan/m-p/150669/highlight/true#M47542

I've never personally tested this on a Public Mobile service without texting/mms as part of the plan.

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

However, receiving text messages won't be possible without a texting plan, at least from the information that I have seen in the Community.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Anonymous wrote:

@computergeek541 

Data-only plans always have phone numbers attached to them.  You can even port them out to another carrier's voice only plan if you wish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 

@Anonymous wrote:

@moegagner wrote:

Hello all,

If I want to change my plan to a data only plan for 1 or 2 months, would I lose my phone number? I'm assuming not, but I want to make sure.

Thanks

I'm gonna say that there's always a phone number attached to the account. I don't think you can activate without choosing a number even with choosing a data only plan. So that would suggest that you would keep your phone number that is attached to the account.

But I could be wrong.

That's correct.  Data-only plans still have phone numbers attached to them.  If switching to one of these plans, the phone number would remain the same.  There's also no requirement to switch back to a voice plan within 90 days.  Any plan will do. 

@srlawren , I haven't confirmed that within anyone, but I believe the same as you, and that it wouldn't make sense for it to work any other way.

srlawren

@Lieux wrote:

@moegagner wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks

No you will keep it .. 90 days before it’s cancelled ..

@Lieux the 90 day thing applies to a suspended account; I don't think it would apply to an active data-only plan, though I can't say for sure.  

@Mary_M @CS_Agent can you confirm what happens if you go from a plan that includes talk on phone number 778-555-1234 to a plan that is just data-only for a period of time?  Does 778-555-1234 stay with the account?  If you change back to a plan that includes talk/text, is that same number still associated to it and now usable for those services? I think I know the answer is yes but I would feel better if you could confirm one way or the other. Thanks!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@moegagner wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks

I'm gonna say that there's always a phone number attached to the account. I don't think you can activate without choosing a number even with choosing a data only plan. So that would suggest that you would keep your phone number that is attached to the account.

But I could be wrong.

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@moegagner wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks

No you will keep it .. 90 days before it’s cancelled ..

Need Help? Let's chat.