cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing plans - how often can we do it?

helenhelen
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I am on the plan with 5GB data (including autopay bonus) but because of social distancing due to the COVID19 pandemic, I am home 95% of the time now and usually on my home WiFi. I barely used up 1GB this month. I'd like to change to a cheaper plan while social distancing is still going on to save some cash, and then change it back later when things get back to normal. Are we able to change plans whenever we want with no penalty (if we set it to change as of our next plan renewal date)? 

9 REPLIES 9

If you force your plan to "change now" instead of "change on renewal" you won't get AutoPay Reward or time towards Loyalty Reward for the interrupted plan cycle. You might also Referral Reward(s), depending on how the timings of your renewal date and referral(s) renewal dates are aligned. You could even miss Community Reward if your plan happens to be momentarily suspended on the day PM pays them out.

Most people force their plan to renew because they've already run out of data (or minutes), not because they have too much left available. PM plans are all strictly prepaid, the cost won't be reduced, credited back, or pro-rated because it wasn't all used up.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

The only way to use plan change to save money is to do it during renewals.  That constrains plan changes to 30 day cycles.  At the risk of sounding like am eternal optimist, if one were to drop to a lesser plan, they can find themselves in a plan that isn't adequate coming out of the quarantine period.  What little is saved could be wasted in an off schedule renewal coming out of the lock down.  I would stay the course.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@helenhelen wrote:

Are we able to change plans whenever we want with no penalty (if we set it to change as of our next plan renewal date)? 

Yes. No penalties. No extra charges. No fees.

Grand-fathered plans won't be returnable. You might impact any promos you might be on.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen if you do go down to the $15 plan,  to save more, add the TextNow voip app and use it via Wifi to make / receive / send calls and texts in Canada and to the United States for free. You can also use it as I do to check my voicemail from my own phone without using the minutes from the PM plan. Simply dial your PM phone number - reject the call when it rings (this sends the call to voicemail) - press the * key to allow you to enter your password. - enter - and viola you are in your voicemail account - Hang up when you are finished. No minutes used. Thank you

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

You can either change your plan immediately but you would lose any unused minutes/texts/data or change on next renewal date which is recommended.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/change-your-plan

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can switch whenever you like, as stated earlier, but be aware that if for some reason the plan you had is no longer offered, you'll have to choose a different one. 

ashleyskye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My understanding is that yoi can switch plans whenever you want, but since it is prepaid, I would switch closer to the bill date.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@helenhelen, go to your self-serve account

Click on Change Plan:
Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 3.28.06 AM.png

Select the plan and when you access or change your plan, you have two options, 'Change Plan Now' or "Change Plan on Renewal Date". It sounds like you wanna change now.

Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 11.19.26 PM (1).png

If you are planning to make the unusual unlimited phone calls as per social distancing, make sure you pick the correct plan, which is the $25 plan. If the unlimited call isn't necessary either, then the $15 plan is the way to go. If data is the only scenario, and unlimited calls are no big deal, then the $15 plan is the way to go. 

Yes, you can change your plan without any penalty. Although, if you recently renewed, and 'Change the Plan Now,' you won't get a refund or any credit from the previous payment. Hence, why it was suggested to 'Change on the next renewal date.'

And when everything is back to normal, you can also switch back again too what you had! 

cellphoneuser1
Mayor / Maire

You can change plan possibly once in 30 days. Early renewal can be done more often but needs a moderator's help. Only set system to change at next renwal you will lost the remainder of time in the plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.