cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Changing Plan

If I change my plan mid-month will the new plan start on the renewal date?

Thanks!

Mayor / Maire

Re: Changing Plan

depends  if you do an immidiate plan change then yes it starts right away and you forego anything left on your old plan.  if you futuredate your plan then it starts on your next renewal.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Depends what you chose. Can let month finish off or chose to start plan right away. It's up to you what you want. 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

As others have mentioned, you can choose when to have the new plan take effect. If you make it immediate I believe you will have to pay immediately and will also change your billing cycle. This has the benefit of you being on the new plan immediately. Alternatively you can choose to have it active on your next rewewal date, which you will pay the new plan rate but the plan benefits don't take effect until the next renewal date.

I'd opt for the latter option unless you need the plan benefits immediately.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No, it will start right away as PM is a prepaid service. 

Mayor / Maire

@jingsz wrote:

No, it will start right away as PM is a prepaid service. 

This is not necessarily correct.  Others have already given the correct answer, and it depends on the option that the customer chooses at the time of making the request.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you make your plan change immediately, do you lose all the funds already paid?

For example, I just signed up for a $40/4.5Gb plan yesterday. I wasn't aware of the $45/5.5GB. Let's say I wanted to put that one into effect now and not at the end of the billing cycle. Do I pay another $45 ontop of what I already paid?

Thanks for help clarifying that. I am a new member and would like to gain as much knowledge as I can.

Mayor / Maire

@Jarvar yes you would pay the full price as you are buying a new plan. You lose whatever you have in your old plan.

That is why it is best to futuredateing it

Mayor / Maire

@Jarvar wrote:

If you make your plan change immediately, do you lose all the funds already paid?

For example, I just signed up for a $40/4.5Gb plan yesterday. I wasn't aware of the $45/5.5GB. Let's say I wanted to put that one into effect now and not at the end of the billing cycle. Do I pay another $45 ontop of what I already paid?

Thanks for help clarifying that. I am a new member and would like to gain as much knowledge as I can.

To add to @mimmo_L's reply. If you are future dating a plan change to a promo plan (such as the $45/5.5GB) it will lock you in on that. So if the promo is discontinued and not accessible any more before your renewal date, the system will still do your change to the promo plan.

Future dated plan changes can also be cancelled or changed any time before your renewal, so if something even better  comes along you can take advantage of that.

For example, I decided this spring to change from my 90day text & talk only plan to 30 day $40/2GB at my next renewal date. They added the 500MB promo a couple of days later, so I future dated to that The $40/4GB promo came before renewal, then $40/4.5GB... and then I decided to try the $45/5.5GB and ended up doing my 5th future dated plan change, jumping from provincial talk & text to Canada wide talk, international text and 5.5GB LTE light at my July renewal.

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Wow thank you @wetcoaster. I was just thinking that. I didn't want to lock myself in if another promotion comes along. I do find the $45/8GB Koodo plan quite tempting, but I don't know if it's too quick to jump ship. I just signed up with Public Mobile yesterday. The draw for the Koodo plan is the LTE speed vs. 3G. I don't think I would use that much data though.