Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Plan to Use Bonus Add-ons

daisydaisy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all!

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I'm currently on the 50$ U.S./Canada plan and think its just grand, but I got some of the bonus add-ons over the holidays and I would love to put them to use. Obviously, with the unlimited US/CA plan that I'm on, they're not very useful, so I was thinking of switching to one of the lower cost plans (probably the 25$ Canada-wide plan) for a little bit.

These are the bonuses I have:

$0 Free Holiday Giveaway: 500min INTL Long Distance incl CA & US
$0 Holiday Giveaway: 2GB add-on
8.5GB at 3G Speed

I call the U.S. very frequently, so I just wanted to confirm that if I switch, I'll automatically start using these bonuses? I don't want to misunderstand the terms and accidentally rack up the bills!

Thanks again, and Happy Spring!!!

11 REPLIES 11

@daisydaisy because you call to the US often I suggest not switching. you may end up paying more in the long run. especially if public decides to remove the limited time offer. your us/Canada plan might be $55 instead of $50 when you decide to switch back. I would wait till pm comes out with more guaranteed plans

@Spudster 

The only thing @LurganIeUk is missing is what @HALIMACS has proposed which is immediately scheduling a plan change on next renewal back to the desired plan at the LTO $5 off "sale" price.

@daisydaisy 

Perhaps you need to consider exactly which cheaper data plan will best meet your average monthly data needs. It seems dropping all the way down to the $25/1gb plan would not meet your needs and you could up all your bonus data in 30 days and still run out. Maybe the $35/2.5gb or the $40/5gb would better suit your needs and if you run out near the end of your cycle you can just dip into your data bonus to supplement your plan.

How many minutes do you call the US every month? Do you ever call any of the international destinations on the list? The 500min international long distance add on does contain over 8 hours of talk time but just keep in mind the price of long distance add ons:

1. $5/500min Canada-wide calling add on=$0.01 p/m (1 cent)
  2. $15/1000min US calling add on=$0.015 p/m (1.5 cents)
  3. $15/300min International calling add on=$0.5 p/m (5 cents)
  4. $15/100/500/750/1000 other international calling destinations vary between 1.5/2/3/5 and 15 cents p/m to call.

As you deplete your international calling add on you may want to add the US calling add on as it offers much better value per minute as you may want to hold onto some of your international minutes.

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

WHEN the sale is over, @LurganIeUk 

I think it's been going on for almost 6 weeks now, alas but all good things must come to an end.

Here's hoping there's another 6 weeks 🤞

@Spudster 

When the sale is over and @daisydaisy goes back to same. 

943016BF-4F8A-429D-94C0-9A91251A2E09.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I like HALIMAC's strategy. That's what I did with the imminent demise of the $10 plan. It stayed around for a bit. I was on various plans on 3 accounts. I scheduled the change to the $10 plan. It was still around the last day of a plan. I removed the schedule. The next day I scheduled it again.

I also agree with LurganleUk. Carefully examine all your real actual usage each term. You say you call the states a lot. Well...how much is a lot? This is what I like about the add-ons here. You consume them as you need them and they just hang around until done. That way you keep your base cost outlay as low as you can.

Basically saying...do you really see the value in the plan with everything? Do you really use all 8.5gb of data? You're paying for it. Are you just wasting a bunch of it each term? Same as calling the states.

Could you get by with a lower base cost and use add-ons for those "overages". I do. I've acquired a bunch of freebies over time that I've still barely used. My base cost is $10. Unfortunately, now obsolete...but grandfathered.

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@LurganIeUk 

While it's possible the OP may not fully utilize the $50 plan (good points--will be curious to see what they average each month for GB usage & US calls), where did you get the information that the $50 plan will now cost $5 more?

It still shows up as $50 on my plan change tab - you know of an imminent change?

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@daisydaisy 

I think you need to review a few points:

1. How much data do you use per month? 

2. How many USA calling minutes do you use per month?

3. If you went back to the $50 plan it will now cost $5 a month more. 

4. Do you really need the $50 plan? Or would you survive on the $25 plan with USA and data add ons? And would that be less than $50/55 per month. 

While it bothers you to have something “free” that you can’t use, we will all understand, if you in your mind, just write off those add-ons as unusable. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@daisydaisy 

Here's what I would do to take advantage of the fact that scheduled plan changes WILL provide the Limited Time Offer (LTO) if it's displayed under your Change Plan tab when scheduling it for next renewal, even if the LTO isn't available on the next renewal:

1. Schedule a plan change to the $25 plan with Canada-wide for your next renewal date (hopefully your next renewal is sooner than later).
  2. On the evening PRIOR to the next renewal, if the LTO of $5.00 off are withdrawn and not showing under the Plans tab, cancel the pending plan change if you feel more longer term you'll want your existing $50 plan.
  3. If the LTO's are still in effect, let the plan change occur.
  4. On the morning FOLLOWING the plan change to the $25 plan, set another plan change to take effect on your NEXT renewal for your existing $50 plan Canada-wide (& hope that in the preceding hours, Public Mobile didn't withdraw the LTO's)
  5. Carry on with the plan change 30 days later or cancel it if you feel the $25 plan might be sufficient.

@daisydaisy 

Public mobile has increased the Canada wide calling plans by $5/month.  So, if you return to your old plan, you may be paying extra $5 per month more.  Right now, however, the Canada wide calling plans are on "sale" for the same price as province wide calling.  Who knows when the sale will end?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@daisydaisy....

keep in mind that once you've used up all the freebies, you could only have one of the currently available plans. You wouldn't necessarily be able to have your current plan back unless it's still available.

@daisydaisy 

You'll keep the holiday giveaway bonus no matrer which plan you have.  However, the 8.5GB isn't a bonus.  Also, there is no way to accumulate a bill.

Need Help? Let's chat.