cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caveat emptor the $10 PM plan not as good as first thought.

yiatioxi-ok
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

At first I was thrilled with my new $10 PM plan but very soon after activation I ran out of texts and there is no 30 day economical option to add additional texts. Perusing the other available plans at first glance seem to be a good value but again most are not. The only good and reasonably competitive plan seems to be the $30 + tax plan that offers Voice, texts and some data. However one can get similar deals from other providers and therefore after considering PM  I concluded that the only incentive to try this service is the initial $25 credit  which obviously will quickly run out. I for one am glad that I took the time to try PM and  didn't drop my other provider and risk loosing loyalty minutes and other incentives. 

29 REPLIES 29

yiatioxi-ok

You see - like I said - you are an intelligent person -( trying to be a bit philosophical- ) your also easily adapt to new ways but do resist change. An example of you adapting is the fact that you are posting on this forum and obviously have a cell phone and I assume that if not formally you are life educated in many ways.  I’m having this conversation because you somewhat remind me of my father who was a math professor but after he retired it bothered me when strangers talked down to him like cashiers calling him sweetie and trying to help him count his money etc all because he had Parkinson’s and was not steady. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@katiatall wrote:

How does this work when all distances are marked in kilometers. So I assume that you must be converting the metric to imperial so therefore you’re must also refer to metric very cumbersome and confusing for me. 

Yes. I convert the km's in the vehicle to miles. I convert the litres filled to imperial gallons. Then I get the miles per gallon.

Litres per 100 km's makes no sense to me. Km's per litre maybe but it would be a useless small number.

Like I said...it depends on how you saw weights and measures in your formative years.

And math isn't hard.

katiatall

How does this work when all distances are marked in kilometers. So I assume that you must be converting the metric to imperial so therefore you’re must also refer to metric very cumbersome and confusing for me. 

katiatall

So so many people just idling along   Sad sad sad. 

katiatall

But I’m sure they also use the weather app. LOL 😁

katiatall

My mother just turned 80 and thinks she’s still in her 40s and openly says that old people get on her nerves.  A bit embarrassing at times . 

katiatall

Wow

yiatioxi-ok

I’m sure that you are an intelligent person but really why not just apply yourself — we switched to metric somewhere  in the seventies. I’m also an old fart and maybe less intelligent then you because Now I get completely mixed up when someone talks imperial measures to me like us galons or is it imperial gallons - yards and other complicated measures. Anyways enough of all this were on a cell plan forum and the rest don’t care what two old farts think🎶

yiatioxi-ok

Again - check out Bell prepaid web page. 

yiatioxi-ok

All this has turned out very positive for me. I just finished a chat session with Bell mobility prepaid and explained that I’m considering switching to PM because they offer 50 LD minutes in their basic plan and the chat rep just also added 50 LD minutes to my basic Bell $15 prepaid plan - so now I have unlimited texting - 200 local voice and 50 LD voice. How things have changed, pretty soon theil be paying us. LOL 😎

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

Not meaning to insult the lovely old and not so old persons but it all has to do with how educated they are.  It blows my mind when some obviously uneducated persons at the grocery stores still talk lb’s and explain that their not used to the new metric system. For crying out loud CANADA switched to the metric system at our current prime ministers fathers time. (I’m getting testy- sorry)

Well now this is running off-topic but I'll jump in. It also depends on how one experienced weights and measures when young. I can see a pound. A kilo not so much. A hectare...haven't a clue. An acre.. sure. It seems temperature and speed has been well accepted but I still see some things better in fahrenheit and I still calculate miles per gallon. etc.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

yup I assume you are referring to the Bell plan because PM does not offer unlimited texting and 50 min  voice for $15. 

@smp99 wrote:

Yes, this plan is not for everyone - 

I am pretty sure this plan (50mins) with no data, and unlimted text for $15 would be extremely popular. 

I was just wondering if PM could open such a plan. I have no idea if any such plan exists, other than Koodo $15 unl text, no talk and no data.

yiatioxi-ok

Not meaning to insult the lovely old and not so old persons but it all has to do with how educated they are.  It blows my mind when some obviously uneducated persons at the grocery stores still talk lb’s and explain that their not used to the new metric system. For crying out loud CANADA switched to the metric system at our current prime ministers fathers time. (I’m getting testy- sorry)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

yup I assume you are referring to the Bell plan because PM does not offer unlimited texting and 50 min  voice for $15. 

That's better. It's been kinda confusing figuring out who you're replying to (if anyone).

That's why I'm entertaining Koodo. Unlimited texting for $15. Then get add-ons and consume them over time.

I'm changing to the $10 plan here next renewal but we'll see if I can work with just 50 outgoing texts.

yiatioxi-ok

@smp99 wrote:

I am pretty sure this plan (50mins) with no data, and unlimted text for $15 would be extremely popular. 

yiatioxi-ok

My point - 👍

yiatioxi-ok

Hi and glad to explain- first of all I’m not stupid to be loyal to any provider because that would only be a one way thing. First of all unless one is also leasing their phone , prepaid is the only way to go. For example take Bell prepaid, they also have various plans which you can peruse on their web site. I happen to also have a Bell basic $15 month plan which includes unlimited texting AND because I have had this plan for several years they also give me free 200 voice minutes — also in addition (because they love me- HA HA❤️) every so often they offer to match whatever I deposit in my account up to $100. Because like Telus they want our business for new customers they also take $5 off each month for the first 6 months. Like my heading be smart “caveat emptor”

yiatioxi-ok

Also look at Bell prepaid. They seem to also have some low priced plans. There also is a little trick with Bell. If one doesn’t renew for a couple of months then in most cases they would receive a personalized email offer stating that they want you back and offer to match whatever you put in your account up to $100. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

What’s this misconception about seniors? My grandma is 89 years old and she texts like crazy. Unless seniors have Alzheimer’s then they are just like any other person young and old. Does anyone disagree?

It's just the standard stereotype. My mother is somewhat techy. My MIL not so much. But then both only have a cellphone for when they're on the road for that blindingly rare possibility of needing to call someone NOW.

yiatioxi-ok

What’s this misconception about seniors? My grandma is 89 years old and she texts like crazy. Unless seniors have Alzheimer’s then they are just like any other person young and old. Does anyone disagree?

smp99

ty_89
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the $10 plan with a $30 data add on because I can get around 250mb for only 17.50 compared to the $20 data only plan plus I get 50mins and 50 msgs witch for what I use is plenty

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Okay, so, the actual advice here is still valid:  be aware of what you are purchasing.  This applies not only to the $10 plan here but every plan at every carrier that you are considering.  You have to do your homework to figure out if it will likely work for you or not.  It sounds like you jumped on this but made the assumption that you could either continue texting pay-per-use or add an add-on of some kind to get additional texting, but didn't verify your assumptions.  Fair enough.  Buyer beware, indeed.

This $10 plan along with some data add-on(s) could actually still provide a ton of value to people that make very few phone calls and tend to use WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, Line, Signal, Skype, Slack, BBM, Allo, iMessage [only to other iMessage users], etc rather than actual SMS/MMS texting.  EDIT: That said, it's obviously not for everybody.  This is why PM offer other plans, such as the $25 and $30 plans that offer a lot more if you need it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

With the advent of a plan that has limited SMS, they should offer a MMS add-on option.  When I was with Tbaytel, they sold non-expiring text at $15 for 3000.  But then they did not offer any non-expiring calling add-on.  No service seems perfect. 

dna2016

@yiatioxi-ok, you obviously didn't choose the right plan that fits the way you use your phone.  Can't blame the plan or the company for that, you'd have to blame yourself on that one.  If I know that I use a lot of minutes, or even if my use is sporadic, choosing the $10 wouldn't make sense.  When shopping around you need to find a plan that fits your use, then you look at the price.   

I'm still not understanding your point as it relates to incentive minutes and "other incentives".  Suggest you be a bit more detailed.  PM has unlimited talk and text, your other provider offers more minutes?  Unless your talking long distance outside North America, not really sure where the incentive is.  Also, sure you can call the other providers and nag them every year and they might give you some credit off your price, but at least with PM I can pretty much get guaranteed credits every month by contributing to the forum, and then get auto pay credit forever, get loyalty credits that increase, and get referral credits, all this without having to call and yell at a poor customer service rep. 

Would be nice if you can provide some detail when you mention incentives because I don't know any other company that offers this many hassle free incentives than PM.  

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

At first I was thrilled with my new $10 PM plan but very soon after activation I ran out of texts and there is no 30 day economical option to add additional texts. Perusing the other available plans at first glance seem to be a good value but again most are not. The only good and reasonably competitive plan seems to be the $30 + tax plan that offers Voice, texts and some data. However one can get similar deals from other providers and therefore after considering PM  I concluded that the only incentive to try this service is the initial $25 credit  which obviously will quickly run out. I for one am glad that I took the time to try PM and  didn't drop my other provider and risk loosing loyalty minutes and other incentives. 

The $10 plan is a minimalistic plan.  An emergency phone for people who don't really want a cell phone but can get this for the "just in case"  I have this plan for my son who is just starting middle school and is 11 he knows it is just an emergency phone and there isn't much talk time or texts available.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

@popping wrote:

@yiatioxi-ok

I think the $10 plan is good for "older" senior on flip phone and does not use text messages.

$8 after autopay for 50 minutes = 16 cents/minute.  $8 200 minutes add-on = 4 cents/minute.

7-1 Speakout charges 30 cents/minute.

Oh come on! 🙂

I just don't use my phone much anymore. So I'm going to try it out. If it doesn't work for me then I may very well go over to Koodo and their $15 base plan that includes texting.

Again...I wish there was a text add-on.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@yiatioxi-ok

I think the $10 plan is good for "older" senior on flip phone and does not use text messages.

$8 after autopay for 50 minutes = 16 cents/minute.  $8 200 minutes add-on = 4 cents/minute.

7-1 Speakout charges 30 cents/minute.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@yiatioxi-ok wrote:

You were thrilled about the price 🙂 not the plan lol. The $10 plan is for a glove box phone to use in case of emergency. It can't actually be used for a regular person that uses their phone on a regular basis.

I am also on the $30 plan, after incentives / rewards its pretty cheap and no other companies can compete. Although for someone who does not use autopay or participate in the community there are other providers that can be cheaper to move to.

Glad you came to visit, even if your stay was short.

Need Help? Let's chat.