cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot recieve certain texts

PublicOwen
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Whenever certain people text me they recieve this message. They are with public mobile and I am with public mobile. I still recieve texts from other people, and this person can call me, but they cannot text me.

Public Mobile error.jpg

19 REPLIES 19

@sheytoon wrote:

@wetcoaster it's really bizarre. I guess that scenario is conceptually possible, but not likely.

If the caller was registered to a US provider on LTE, they would get this message when trying to text out. If they tried to place a call, the US LTE network would instruct the phone to switch to a certain 3G frequency to make the call. If that frequency is the same as Telus, and the Telus 3G cell is the only one found by the phone, the call might go through when the phone switches back to the home network.

I really don't know if that's possible, just guessing here. I doubt this is what's actually happening. Most likely a provisioning issue with the other person's account.

We would need more info, which we are probably not going to get.

Ok. Thanks for taking the time, @sheytoon !

Masterandy80
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Turning off roaming may not work in that case though. I always have roaming off since I work on boats that travel through US water frequently. Before I switched to PM, I was on Bell. I took a trip to one of the Gulf Islands (not even the closest one to the border!) and was merrily texting away as per usual and ended up getting dinged for US texting, despite being, you know, in Canada. The texting works separately from data or calling.

@wetcoaster it's really bizarre. I guess that scenario is conceptually possible, but not likely.

If the caller was registered to a US provider on LTE, they would get this message when trying to text out. If they tried to place a call, the US LTE network would instruct the phone to switch to a certain 3G frequency to make the call. If that frequency is the same as Telus, and the Telus 3G cell is the only one found by the phone, the call might go through when the phone switches back to the home network.

I really don't know if that's possible, just guessing here. I doubt this is what's actually happening. Most likely a provisioning issue with the other person's account.

We would need more info, which we are probably not going to get.

@wetcoaster wrote:

As I said, the op has not come back yet to provide more details.

Seems to happen a lot.... makes me wonder if one of the posts helped diagnose the issue, or the OP didn't expect a response this quickly..... 🤔 

@kselmak wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@PublicOwen   Although I suspect this isn't the case, based on what's been said so far, but given the text in those messages, I have to ask, is that person NOT in Canada at the moment?

nice thinking, @CannonFodder. Or, along the same lines: close to the border and the phone is trying to roam off a US tower?

Texts can be sent over LTE, whereas calls MUST use the 3G network at Public Mobile... So it could be that the phone is connecting to different towers on either side of the border for different parts of the plan?

@sheytoon, is this something that can happen, or am I just making up some crazy things?

Edit: added the LTE bit...

@wetcoaster 

I believe they would get (many) welcome to USA roaming messages and would have suspected what the source of the problem was.

The signal would also show roaming as well, it would not be public mobile service

And good luck making a call without the package while roaming (I'm not sure about 1800 numbers though, but I doubt, just not sure)

Mods should take a look I believe

Fair points. And of course it could also be a provisioning problem which would need to be sorted by the mods.

However, I made clear that this is speculation, and I tagged sheytoon (who I greatly respect for their network expertise) to shed some light into this connecting towers on both sides of the border theory (I never said they were roaming calls!).

Notifications and roaming icons could also depend on the phone (I sometimes do get a welcome to the US text whenever I'm in Sooke BC, sometimes I don't, not in the habit of changing my roaming settings...)

As I said, the op has not come back yet to provide more details.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@PublicOwen   Although I suspect this isn't the case, based on what's been said so far, but given the text in those messages, I have to ask, is that person NOT in Canada at the moment?

nice thinking, @CannonFodder. Or, along the same lines: close to the border and the phone is trying to roam off a US tower?

Texts can be sent over LTE, whereas calls MUST use the 3G network at Public Mobile... So it could be that the phone is connecting to different towers on either side of the border for different parts of the plan?

@sheytoon, is this something that can happen, or am I just making up some crazy things?

@wetcoaster 

I believe they would get (many) welcome to USA roaming messages and would have suspected what the source of the problem was.

The signal would also show roaming as well, it would not be public mobile service

And good luck making a call without the package while roaming (I'm not sure about 1800 numbers though, but I doubt, just not sure)

Mods should take a look I believe

@wetcoaster wrote:

I don't know how it exactly works down at Tsawwassen / Point Roberts, but the BC Ferry terminal might be close enough to the border as well?

Well, when I was using Lucky Mobile, and was at the ferry terminal, this past summer, the signal there was actually very good, and I didn't have any odd phone behaviour.....

@CannonFodder wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

Now THAT seems like even better thinking! 👍   I've wondered about that sort of thing - when we go across the U.S. border at Sumas, WA, there's a little community(Huntingdon, BC), RIGHT up against the border, and folks there must surely have that sort of problem.... ISTR the wife's phone behaving oddly when near the border, and likely trying to connect to one of the U.S. towers.

Edit: Having said all that, since a) @PublicOwen has not come back to provide context or follow up with another solution that worked etc, and b) my theory might or might not be corraborated by our resident network guru sheytoon, I'll better just stop speculating...

So, turn off data roaming. That could be the problem.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@wetcoaster wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

Now THAT seems like even better thinking! 👍   I've wondered about that sort of thing - when we go across the U.S. border at Sumas, WA, there's a little community(Huntingdon, BC), RIGHT up against the border, and folks there must surely have that sort of problem.... ISTR the wife's phone behaving oddly when near the border, and likely trying to connect to one of the U.S. towers.

@wetcoaster wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@gblackma  That's KINDA what I was thinking, BUT the OP did say that person can call them, but not text, so that's what makes it kind of contradictory.....

So, the solution could be as simple as buying a US roaming package? For the party in the US? 

@CannonFodder wrote:

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

eliza3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Try this and moderator will solve problems within 2 hrs or so.   No need to worry as they have an excellent moderator teams here.

If you are having trouble with your services, the next step is to contact a moderator. Here is the link to create a ticket through SIMon:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help -> Click on Chat with Simon- on the line "ask me something" write "moderator" -> then click on "account specific question" -> afterward click on "no, I want a human" -> finally you will see an answer "submit a ticket Click me!"

@gblackma wrote:

Is this for all texts or just mms one. To send/receive mms texts you need to have data enabled .

Hi @gblackma 

Regardless this shouldn't be the message that they receive back from 611. When APN is not setup correctly or data is off you just get the failed message that you can resend by tapping. This is different, just not right. Something is wrong with the friend's account or provision, mods should take a look

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Is this for all texts or just mms one. To send/receive mms texts you need to have data enabled .

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@PublicOwen wrote:

Hi,

Whenever certain people text me they recieve this message. They are with public mobile and I am with public mobile. I still recieve texts from other people, and this person can call me, but they cannot text me.

Public Mobile error.jpg

@PublicOwenTell that person to contact moderators. He/She should click the "?" in lower right side of the page, type "contact moderator", and follow directions. OR send a message: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Very strange

Do you have one of those new area codes?

I think they should contact moderators.

They can do that by clicking on the question mark and typing human

Need Help? Let's chat.