Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot make outbound call to local number

arun1824
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, 

I hope someone can help me please.

I have unlimited provincial plan. 

I can make outbound calls to everyone in Ontario, except one local number with area code 647.

It says 

" you dont have an active addon, this call is a long distance"

I tried removing the 1 in-front of the phone number. 

Still does not work, 

Can someone please advise me. Thank you

13 REPLIES 13

@Mossmyster wrote:

Try adding their number to your phone,  possibly getting them to call you might get that to unglitch..  I had a similar problem with callingThe Den in Toronto today, turns out there wasn’t just an personal error in typing it in but also check to see if you have a VPN on..  that actually can really mess with a phones vilify to do things 

again VPN is a huge thing to get around sometimes

A VPN has to do with internet. It isn't related to voice calls over the regular voice network.

Mossmyster

Try adding their number to your phone,  possibly getting them to call you might get that to unglitch..  I had a similar problem with callingThe Den in Toronto today, turns out there wasn’t just an personal error in typing it in but also check to see if you have a VPN on..  that actually can really mess with a phones vilify to do things 

again VPN is a huge thing to get around sometimes

@gblackma wrote:

@arun1824  ask the person that you are trying to call to check and see if they may have inadvertantly blocked your number. Stay safe. 

Please realize that a receiving caller blocking someone from calling cannot possibly turn a local call into a long distance call.

Further, the message about talk not being included or that a long distance add-on is required is a well-known system messages plaid back to Public Mobile customers when the system believes that there is no active calling plan, when someone is trying to call a type of long distance that is not included in a plan (eg. a customer with a provincial calling plan trying to call a number in a different province), or if a number is misdialed.

If the receiving end was blocking the call, the Public Mobile customer making the outgoing call would be directed to the receiving caller's voicemail (if that person has voicemail).  Even if the recipient is using some type of third-party call management software or even in the case of something such as Rogers Call Manager, the error message wouldn't be about long distance, and it wouldn't be a Public Mobile error message, but rather one provided by that software or the other carrier.

@arun1824 wrote:

Thanks for replying, 

The 5$ canada wide addon is great but Its very strange every other call can be made, but to this local number....

I have real no purpose of calling anyone outside of Ontario......

As already suggested, contact the moderators and tell them the problem.  It could be an account provisioning issue.  They should be able to do something one their end to make sure an in province call does not incur long distance charges.  

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

If you are physically in an area that should be a local call to the number you are dialing, you should report it to the moderators. Sometimes new numbers seem to be 'misclassed' in Public Mobile / Telus's database. I am in Regina, SK, and some local prefixes occasionally come up with the long distance warning when dialed without "1". If I didn't have long-distance included in my plan, it would probably actually consume long-distance minutes. Report it to the moderators. In my case when reporting, they asked for at least three numbers in that prefix and the times I tried calling, and they reported it to the telus back-end team. Never heard anything back but within a few days the number was no longer reporting as long distance when dialling without a 1.

@arun1824 wrote:

Thanks for replying, 

The 5$ canada wide addon is great but Its very strange every other call can be made, but to this local number....

@arun1824   I'm wondering if that number you are trying to call is a newer area code which has been known to cause issues for a lot of people.

You could also try the lost/stolen trick, log into your account, select plans/add-ons tab, select phone lost/stolen, suspend service then log out and wait a few mins.  Log back in and resume service, log out and restart your phone.  This does a soft reset of your account and services and is known to fix a few glitches in the system.

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@arun1824 hi from what I read in the help section this has been an issue for a long time for 647 most seem to agree contacting the moderators click on the? Bottom right hand corner Ask Simon to speak to a human this will help create a ticket to speak to a moderator       check the envelope top right corner for a reply response time is 2 to 48 hours

arun1824

Thanks for replying, 

arun1824

Thanks for replying, but they dont have me blocked(its my daughter in law)

arun1824

Thanks for replying,

This did not fix the problem.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@arun1824 wrote:

Hello, 

I hope someone can help me please.

I have unlimited provincial plan. 

I can make outbound calls to everyone in Ontario, except one local number with area code 647.

It says 

" you dont have an active addon, this call is a long distance"

I tried removing the 1 in-front of the phone number. 

Still does not work, 

Can someone please advise me. Thank you

@arun1824   You usually are better of adding +1 in front of numbers, even if they are local to you.  Since you only have provincial calling in your plan, maybe try buying the $5/500 Canada wide mins which should allow you to call anyone in Canada.  These mins don't expire and will roll over until depleted.

You can also first try rebooting your phone and try calling that number with +1 in front too.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@arun1824  ask the person that you are trying to call to check and see if they may have inadvertantly blocked your number. Stay safe. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@arun1824 

Try rebooting your phone. Network reset also. To see whether that works. 

Need Help? Let's chat.