cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot make a call

Mouniratou
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sorry we cannot complete your call. You do don't have an active long distance add on and this call is not covered by your plan. Get an add on by dialing star 611

20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mouniratou wrote:

This issue is still going on. The only way the phone works is if I add 1 in front of the area code. The numbers that I have dialed with 1 in front will work going forward after every dial. 

Mind you am not adding the 1 in the contact list, I just know some numbers so I manually dial it. 

I don't want to keep dialing manually.

I don't know how old you are but thinking of your area code and prefix as being supposedly from a particular area as from the old landline days...are there any numbers also supposedly from that same particular area that you can dial without the 1? Many people confuse "long distance" as actually being a long distance geographically. Then they wonder why it's long distance when the phone is right next to them. These are still held-over from the old days where even just a short distance would be regarded as a long distance call.

But none of it matters these days what with unlimited nation-wide calling being commonplace with cell services. Just stick the 1 in front and be done. There're no extra charges here anyway so it doesn't matter

@Mouniratou wrote:

This issue is still going on. The only way the phone works is if I add 1 in front of the area code. The numbers that I have dialed with 1 in front will work going forward after every dial. 

Mind you am not adding the 1 in the contact list, I just know some numbers so I manually dial it. 

As you've stated that the call did start working without dialing the 1, I beilieve this to be a random and intermitent issue. Either way, some phones have a settings option to add a 1 before any dialed number. Phone numbers can also be edited and saved in that way, although I do realize that you probably aren't enjoying the thought of doing that for each number in your contact list.

Mouniratou

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for the update. It's usually standard practice to use the 1 for a traditionally long distance call. The recording is a hold-over from that. So then it's a simple matter of ignoring the recording when it lets the call go through anyway. But your calls were hanging up.

Interesting.

The message about not having a the required long distance add-on is Public Mobile specific. It differs from the "long distance charges may apply" message in the sense that after hearing the one about not having the required add-on, this will never lead to a completed phone call.  At Public Mobile, one of example of this message would occur if someone only has a provincial calling plan but tries to call a number in a different province.

Thanks. Got it. I can live with a short-term glitch. Glad the OP got over it.

It's funny...it wasn't my intent to fix the problem for him to use the 1. I was fully expecting him to try the couple tricks we have or to contact the mods. So...coincidence.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mouniratou wrote:

I can now dial without the 1 in front and it works.

I am not too sure if the 1 you asked to add fixed it now I do not have add the 1 in front and it works

Interesting. Thanks for the update. It's usually standard practice to use the 1 for a traditionally long distance call. The recording is a hold-over from that. So then it's a simple matter of ignoring the recording when it lets the call go through anyway. But your calls were hanging up.

Interesting.

The message about not having a the required long distance add-on is Public Mobile specific. It differs from the "long distance charges may apply" message in the sense that after hearing the one about not having the required add-on, this will never lead to a completed phone call.  At Public Mobile, one of example of this message would occur if someone only has a provincial calling plan but tries to call a number in a different province.

Occasionally, this will happen to me. I'll get the "no long distance add-on" message. I hang up and redial...usually only takes 1 redial.

Minor annoyance only.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mouniratou wrote:

I am not too sure if the 1 you asked to add fixed it now I do not have add the 1 in front and it works

Interesting.

@Mouniratou wrote:

That sounds like conincidence to me. At Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile, the 1 is not required, even for long distance and toll free numbers.  A long distance call to a Canadian number shouldn't even have resulted in the message that you heard, but rather one about how there could be long distance charges. This sounds like it was a short-lived temporary issue.

jaguarbass

What type of phone are you using?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mouniratou wrote:

Interesting.

Mouniratou

Yes it works now without the 1 in front.

Thanks for helping

Mouniratou

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mouniratou wrote:

I tried again with adding 1 to the begining of the number and it worked. I hanged up and tried again. The phone seems to work now.

Oh good. So when you tried again, did you use the 1 or not?

Mouniratou

I tried again with adding 1 to the begining of the number and it worked. I hanged up and tried again. The phone seems to work now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you try the 1 in front?

Mouniratou

Am on the $25 plan.

The phone does not even attempt to dial it just hangs up right after the recording plays

Mouniratou

I have post paid set up and my next payment is on the 27 of November. So I don't understand why I need by minutes. Very annoying

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mouniratou wrote:

I let it continue and the phone dial the number.

I hanged up and try to make sure it works and now am getting the same recording.

Why hang up? There are no extra charges here.

Dial with a 1 in front.

What plan are you on?

Mouniratou

I let it continue and the phone dial the number.

I hanged up and try to make sure it works and now am getting the same recording.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can also buy an add on after logging to self serve and clicking on MY PLAN. 500 minutes for 5.00 Canadian long distance calling is a good deal and any unusd minutes roll over until they are used .

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mouniratou wrote:

Sorry we cannot complete your call. You do don't have an active long distance add on and this call is not covered by your plan. Get an add on by dialing star 611

Did you try to let it continue on after the recording? Or did the call stop on its own?

Do you have the $10 or $15 dollar plan?

Need Help? Let's chat.