cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancel my plan for temporary

WenjieYu
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I would like to cancel my plan from May to August, because I have a trip outside Canada.

Best wishes,

Wenjie 

19 REPLIES 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pm-smayer97 : How about instead of slamming regulars over how inadequate their replies are, caps and all, you hang out here 24/7 refreshing the page every 5 seconds ready to pounce on any question of putting ones account on hold.

Short of that, you could add a nice little post suggesting people look at your tl;dr reference thread and call it done. Lots of folks add repeat answers to threads. You wouldn't stand out.

No one needs to be yelled at.

dabr's reply was entirely acceptable. So much so that the OP thought it sufficient (or Luddite). You only go on at length about the rewards impact. Ok fine.

@pm-smayer97 

If you feel the accepted solution by @Luddite is incorrect then private message your concerns to see if he will change his mind.

@dabr wrote:

@WenjieYu wrote:

Hi,

I would like to cancel my plan from May to August, because I have a trip outside Canada.

Best wishes,

Wenjie 

@WenjieYu    You can only suspend your account/plan for 90days (from last payment due date) by removing your payment card, or if there's a balance in account enough to fund your plan, then suspend your account by selecting Payments tab, Phone Lost/Stolen, then Suspend Service.

Make sure to make a payment on around day 85/86th to prevent your number and account being deactivated.

not sure why this was accepted as the solution. It is short-sighted and very incomplete as it does not take into account different scenarios. Be sure to read further in this thread for more complete and accurate information.

Thanks for your input,  @pm-smayer97 

We'll have to agree to disagree on the "potentially ... very harmful" implications you write of. 

Have a great day!!!  😁

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I'm always up for a donnybrook 🙂

I agree with the responses from @hTideGnow@esjliv and @HALIMACS . No one needs to be yelled at like a slow first grader in the back of the class. All of the replies were fine. The linked, over the top, detailed, tl;dr thread is fine for a reference as darlicious linked to it. But for that author to come down slamming everyone for their posts is completely unnecessary.

There's no danger here. It's cell phone service. The OP was informed of ramifications of choices. Just because all the replies didn't go into all the details of every possible situation does not make them wrong.

I wrote a reference post too. You don't see me lording it over people that might say something slightly incorrect or incomplete. I'll do the respectful steering towards what's correct.

There. 🙂

"bad and incomplete advise."  ??  it's not just harsh but rude!!! 

I respect everyone here, especially people with years of experience and much superior "Title".  I acknowledge I am relatively new compare with most members here.  I am still learning.  But I am not in school and not writing tests and this is not a job, I don't need people to comment Good or Bad to my "performance".    Sometimes we see comment that might not fit 100%, or some people's answer is out of topic, for myself, I usually just added the extra information I find fit unless the answer is 100% wrong.

Back to my Autopay comment.  It's just a different ways but I wouldn't even consider it bad.  Nice member here could surely add the comment telling the "unnecessary outcomes" that Autopay bonus would have gone the first month when the account is reactivated.  I agree and I accept that I could have emphasized that.

As to if people still have available fund more than than the cost of the plan then removing Autopay would still mean nothing.  True.  But OP didn't mentioned that he is in such situation.

Using Suspend button is good, i agree.  You stress to do it as late as you can,  True.  However, this only work if the person remember his/her next renewal day and remember to remind himself/herself to do so.   So, it is a "If this then do this situation", I would say

The reason I jumped into idea of Autopay instead of Suspend the account now is that I think the OP could just do it now and not worry about not remembering.

Of course there could be many different 'if this then do this situations', or 'it depends' or other scenarios, we try to cover as much as we can , as much as we remember.  But at the end of the day, we try to answer based on OP questions.  

I admire you are good thinking and all round answers.  You covered all the situation like a technical writer.   Some people like it.  However, there are also people who wants direct answer to direct question.  Extra information, while is helpful, it could also be confusing.  

Looking around at the replies in this community.  Many of us give one particular solution while there are in fact more ways.  Some are better, some are worse.  Some are good for such situations, some are good for others.   In a perfect world we should be all provide all the possible ways to a questions in different situations.  BUT.. we are not writing a knowledgebase ourselves.  Also, if that is the case, maybe we should all answer by referring to a set of model answers instead.   

@esjliv wrote:

@pm-smayer97 

Your very comprehensive thread (from 2018) appears to be well thought out, and much time taken into putting that together.

But, a bit harsh posts made in this particular thread, don't you think?

What @hTideGnow @HALIMACS and myself added to @dabr's post seemed fine to me.

Your 2018 thread even has, 'if this then do this situations', or 'it depends' or other scenarios that could validate reasonable suggestions made in this, May 18, 2021, thread.

To each their own.

@WenjieYu 

More info. here as well if interested:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735

@esjliv  Sorry not meant to be harsh BUT complete. Even the link you just supplied is OLD and OUT OF DATE and LACKS A LOT of IMPORTANT info.

Without the complete info, people risk losing features, funds, or their phone #. I prefer to make sure that people are fully informed to make well educated choices.

@HALIMACS 

My post was not meant to be harsh but real. Your may appear fine to you BUT it can potentially be very harmful if one does not understand the implications.

Turning off AutoPay should only be a last resort, especially the way PM sets up its offers.

I prefer to make sure people are properly and well informed.

I concur,  @esjliv , re your reply to @pm-smayer97 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@pm-smayer97 

Your very comprehensive thread (from 2018) appears to be well thought out, and much time taken into putting that together.

But, a bit harsh posts made in this particular thread, don't you think?

What @hTideGnow @HALIMACS and myself added to @dabr's post seemed fine to me.

Your 2018 thread even has, 'if this then do this situations', or 'it depends' or other scenarios that could validate reasonable suggestions made in this, May 18, 2021, thread.

To each their own.

@WenjieYu 

More info. here as well if interested:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735

@hTideGnow wrote:

PM is a pre-paid service.  If you do not pay your bill for next cycle, your account will be suspended for 90 days.    If you do nothing for 90 days, your account will be closed, your number will be gone. 

So,  make sure you remove Autopay first.  Then leave it till the end of this cycle.  After the account is suspended, you might want to remind yourself to come back, logon and pay around the 85th days to activate your account again.   

NO... bad and incomplete advise...do NOT remove AutoPay! (only as a last resort) Read this very in-depth post on the subject:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/When-and-How-to-Suspend-or-Place-an-accoun...

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@WenjieYu 

Here is all the info you need to suspend your account for an extended holiday courtesy of @pm-smayer97 .Have fun and stay safe!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/When-and-How-to-Suspend-or-Place-an-accoun...

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@WenjieYu 

As you see, there are a few different options.  If you suspend your service and make a payment, that will let you keep your account and you can reactive it once you're back.  This will also keep any history/Loyalty you've had and continue with any discounts after you continue.

If you want to keep your number, you can do the same as @HALIMACS mentioned, but there's also an option to port/transfer your number out to VoIP, then port/transfer it back after.  You'd lose Loyalty because you'd be closing and reopening a new account.  Similarly, if you're on a plan no longer available - you'd lose that too.  These are some things to think about it (if it matters to you).

Otherwise, let us know of any other details of what you want/need and we might suggest one way or another.  Be safe as you travel!  🙂

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @WenjieYu 

If you're NOT attached to the number and haven't been with Public Mobile for more than a couple years (thus have a couple bucks/month Loyalty Reward you've earned), just remove the auto payment information and the account will permanently deactivate after 90 days in suspension.

If you ARE attached to the number and don't want to lose a longer standing plan with potential earned Loyalty Rewards, you could 'lend' the service to someone remaining in Canada to 'use' while you're away.   The great thing about doing this is there are NO OVERAGES so you will not have to be concerned with the person costing you more than the plan you select.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@WenjieYu wrote:

Hi,

Best wishes,

Wenjie 

@WenjieYu 

You can always go into suspended status then reactivate under the cheapest plan - $15 Plan so you do not lose your account, even if you are not back yet. At least this way you will not lose your number.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

PM is a pre-paid service.  If you do not pay your bill for next cycle, your account will be suspended for 90 days.    If you do nothing for 90 days, your account will be closed, your number will be gone. 

So,  make sure you remove Autopay first.  Then leave it till the end of this cycle.  After the account is suspended, you might want to remind yourself to come back, logon and pay around the 85th days to activate your account again.   

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@WenjieYu wrote:

Hi,

Best wishes,

Wenjie 

@WenjieYu    You can only suspend your account/plan for 90days (from last payment due date) by removing your payment card, or if there's a balance in account enough to fund your plan, then suspend your account by selecting Payments tab, Phone Lost/Stolen, then Suspend Service.

Make sure to make a payment on around day 85/86th to prevent your number and account being deactivated.

Need Help? Let's chat.