cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada / US plan

steadynow21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I'm a truck driver that lives in Vancouver, BC and I often go over to the US for a couple days at a time and I do this often. I'm with Telus but am considering the move over to Public Mobile.  What I need is a plan that allows me to call and use my data while I'm in the US as well as Canada.  Does this exist with Public Mobile?  I thought the $50 plan would cover this but it looks like it only covers calls made from Canada to the US.  I would appreciate any help you could give me on this.  Thanks...

Darren

17 REPLIES 17

Not certain if you were meaning "if someone in the USA calls You" on your phone will there be a charge? There is never a charge to you for an incoming call and all currently offered plans have unlimited incoming calls.

AE_Collector

ckkong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you.

@ckkong As long as you and your phone are inside canada and the person calling you has call availability to Canada, you will receive the call. And there is no EXTRA charges with PM anytime.

ckkong
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just wanted to know if somebody calls from USA is it there a charge or is it going to show as a regular incoming call for the plan?

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

@steadynow21 

Yes the discontinued $60 US plan would have been PERFECT for your needs. I am still surprised that PM discontinued it so quickly. TELUS has much influence over what PM can and does offer and that plan could simply have been a "survey" by TELUS of demand for seamless US roaming plans. Discontinuation may not indicate little demand but just that enough info was gathered. 

AE_Collector

Agreed, a Dual-SIM phone with a Canadian (Public Mobile) plan and an American plan might be best. You could definitely find a combo which costs less than your $100 Telus plan. They don't have to be symmetrical if your usage leans more heavily on either side of the border. And you could suspend either one for up to a few months at a time when not in use. But you would have to track your Canada and USA provisions (limited minutes, Data, etc) separately. And you might experience communication problems when you're sitting right on the Canada/USA border crossings. 

https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/United-States/Washington

@steadynow21  Do you have a dual sim phone? If so as suggested already for us plans or check out these : http://www.airlo.com/     or:  https://www.ultramobile.com/product/3gb-plan-sim-kit/?attribute_months=6+month+plan  use promo code ultra to save additional $25....unlimited call/text 3gb per month. Shipping to US address 1yr $100.80US+tax that's about $10 per month

This US plan and the pm$50 plan would save you about $50 per month=$600 per year. There's lots of cheap back up phones or the savings you could afford to get a dual SIM phone check out the Umidigi A5 for around $125 can online.

Edit: ninja'd

@steadynow21 wrote:

They unfortunately only give 1GB of data.  I'll just be staying with Telus unless PM comes out with a new roaming plan...

You could try to buy the old $60 plan from someone. Check if it's the old one including roaming.

steadynow21

They unfortunately only give 1GB of data.  I'll just be staying with Telus unless PM comes out with a new roaming plan...

steadynow21

Thanks, I already have the add on for Telus.  With tax I'm at $106 per month.  I was just hoping that PM had a plan...

@steadynow21You can consider Zoomer https://www.zoomerwireless.ca/plans#canada_us_plan which still have US / Canada plans. They are on Roger's network. They are the only non first tiered provider that offers seamless US/Canada plans right now.

However if you are already with Telus adding US roaming is an extra $15/month, it would be worth while if you already have a good unlimited EPP plan https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/Canadian-US-Roaming-Guide

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@steadynow21  You might want to take a look at ATT prepaid service. If you prepay for a year you get unlimited talk and text and 8GB of data with free roaming to Canada and Mexico for ~$25 US per month. More info here;

https://www.att.com/buy/wireless/prepaid/select-plans

@steadynow21 wrote:

ok thanks for the info.  It looks like I'll have to stay with Telus unfortunately.  It is too much of a hassle to add on every time and I go over at least a couple days a week.  Thanks for the info though I appreciate your help!

Keep an eye on the Public Mobile website. There used to be a plan that would have suited your requirement, but they discontinued it last month. Perhaps something will take it's place that you could use. Good luck.

steadynow21

ok thanks for the info.  It looks like I'll have to stay with Telus unfortunately.  It is too much of a hassle to add on every time and I go over at least a couple days a week.  Thanks for the info though I appreciate your help!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@steadynow21 wrote:

Hello, 

I'm a truck driver that lives in Vancouver, BC and I often go over to the US for a couple days at a time and I do this often. I'm with Telus but am considering the move over to Public Mobile.  What I need is a plan that allows me to call and use my data while I'm in the US as well as Canada.  Does this exist with Public Mobile?  I thought the $50 plan would cover this but it looks like it only covers calls made from Canada to the US.  I would appreciate any help you could give me on this.  Thanks...

Darren

Only thing avaialble is a 10 Day US Roaming add-on. you can talk/text and a bit of data for $20...for 10 day only.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@steadynow21 

There is no regular plans with US roaming.  There was a $60 plan (with 2 GB US roaming + unlimited US text/talk) that would have met your needs, but that promo expired.  

If you were to move to PM, you would need to buy a 10 day roaming add on each time you went to USA.  Kinda of a hassle though..... 

U.S. Talk, Text and Data Bundle
Unlimited Talk, International Text and 250MB Data for just $20 for 10 days.
U.S. Talk and Text Bundle
Unlimited Talk and International Text for just $15 for 10 days.
U.S. Talk Only
Unlimited Talk for just $8 for 10 days.
U.S. Text Only
Unlimited International Text for just $8 for 10 days.
U.S. Data Only
250MB Data for $10, 500MB Data for $15 and 1GB Data for $20 for 10 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.