Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you receive text while overseas?

Lu09020312
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, 

I'm new to PM.

Just wondering in case of travelling overseas, can I receive text outside of Canada?

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

@chank   Yes, very few VoIP will support short code, which 2FA relies on

A workaround is to use either email for 2FA (which is weak) or use Voice calling with some tweak.  Forward all the voice calls to your VoIP phone number.  So, the 2FA voice calls will call your PM number but got forwarded to your VoIP app and you can pickup the 2FA code that way.  Hope that helps

Of course, another workaround is to remove the 2FA completely , which obviously not recommended unless none of the workarounds above works

chank
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A follow up here about TextFree.us. I have tried using it now for a few accounts and the only one that has worked via text is TD. The others (bar one) have worked if I get the organization to call me on the number rather than text. One account (can't remember which one) flat out refused to use the number. So mixed results.

Very few of my accounts support the use of an authenticator app and insist on sending a text message. I think if I started travelling again I'd probably change phone providers.

chank

For information, I created an account with TextFree.us and got a free phone number. You download their app from the relevant app store to use the number, or you can use the web site. I successfully updated my TD account to use this number for 2FA, although to date that is the only account I have tried. All you have to do with textfree.us to keep the number for free, is use the number at least once a month, send a text or make a call. The app does have a large advertising panel though, which is a bit annoying, but given it will be only used to receive messages which I am expecting then its ok. The web page doesn't have any ads and so may be a better choice.

@chank wrote:

What is this "Fongo" of which you speak? Looks like it might be worth investigating, and looks like there might be other providers too. Thanks for the tip.

I think if anyone finds a free or dirt cheap way of being able to receive text messages while abroad (but on wifi of course) then it is worth posting here.

Fongo is a VoIP company.  It uses an internet connection for the services.

chank

What is this "Fongo" of which you speak? Looks like it might be worth investigating, and looks like there might be other providers too. Thanks for the tip.

I think if anyone finds a free or dirt cheap way of being able to receive text messages while abroad (but on wifi of course) then it is worth posting here.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@softech wrote:

@chank   While PM is part of Telus, pretty sure the roaming contract is a different one  😞

if possible, use Authenticator app instead of sms for 2FA.  Of course, not all banks allows that  😞

I tested my Fongo number with 2FA text message and works with my bank 2FA text.  Since Fongo text is going though the Internet and not piggybacked on the mobile voice channel.  In theory, it should work outside Canada.  But I have not use it outside Canada.  YMMV.

My laptop and phone always connected to VPN at a Canadian location on powerup.  Bank may not use 2FA as it will be the same Canadian location before and during travel outside Canada.  Again, I have not try this with COVID.

@chank   While PM is part of Telus, pretty sure the roaming contract is a different one  😞

if possible, use Authenticator app instead of sms for 2FA.  Of course, not all banks allows that  😞

chank

@softech  OK, I understand about overseas contracts, but as you say Telus clearly supports roaming. I don't even think it need be a service to that extent. Just the ability to receive text messages.

Fundamentally, 2FA is a part of life now. I don't travel a lot, very infrequently in fact, but if I turn up at an international destination then want to log into my bank or some other organisation, their server will immediately detect a different IP address in another country, then they will ask for authentication, and if I haven't gone through all the possible accounts that I might want to access while abroad, and made other arrangements, I will be stuck.

Basically, if you travel at all you probably don't want to use your PM phone number as a 2FA number.

@chank   Text alone or full package, data-talk-text, PM still need to have a contract with overseas providers first in order to providing roaming support. 

I guess the decision really comes down to costs and potential revenue.    PM is already decent enough to provide US roaming while Lucky Mobile provides no roaming anywhere.  (But, on the other hand Chatr has worldwide roaming. )

Telus has 3 tiers of services and they are clearly defined for different market share with different price plans.  If overseas roaming is critical, maybe you should consider Koodo as it has slightly cheaper plans compare with Telus but at the same time provide roaming service for different countries

chank

But honestly isn't this something that PM should aim to support, the ability to at least receive texts while abroad. Given that almost all organisations now have 2FA or are rolling it out, then it is essential to be able to receive those security messages wherever you are. I know PM provides a basic service for people like us that want a basic service, but receiving texts anywhere are now really part of that basic service. I would be happy to pay for each text received while abroad.

HI @Torque  I think the best way is to make sure there is an alternate way for 2FA as well when travelling

Torque

The only workaround seems to be to find a trusted person that will be in Canada. Register their number with bank, CRA,etc as an additional no. Then WhatsApp, or whatever, with that person when you need the verification code. Worked for me.

@softech wrote:

@chank wrote:

So if you were abroad (not in the US), how do you receive a text message from an organization like your bank, say, with a 2 factor authentication key?

@chank   You simply cannot (unless you are going to USA and buy the US roaming Text add-on, PM only provide roaming option for US)

Customers are not required to purcahse a roaming add-on to receive text messages while in the United States.

@chank wrote:

So if you were abroad (not in the US), how do you receive a text message from an organization like your bank, say, with a 2 factor authentication key?

You won't get it. You'll have to work with and a communicate with your bank to get this sorted out. 

@chank wrote:

@chank   You simply cannot (unless you are going to USA and buy the US roaming Text add-on, PM only provide roaming option for US)

It is advised you to:

1. disable 2FA (very bad option)

2. use email as 2FA (not very good)

3. Use Authenticator app like Microsoft or Google (best option out of all)

If you are going abroad, please make sure you get this organized before your trip

chank

Lu09020312
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

thanks 

@cellphoneuser1 oh, I assumed you wouldn't be able to receive anything, seeing as you aren't paying to use the cellphone towers in America

@gpixel 

You don't need roaming add-on to receive texts if you're in the U.S. Add-on is only needed for outgoing texts.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Lu09020312 

You cannot receive text message from oversea.

My family members uses Whatsapp to communicate between family and friends.  We let our family know using airport wifi to send Whatsapp message to family and friends.  If we decided to get a local SIM card, we can continue to use the same Whatsapp account to communicate with our family and friends while outside wifi range.

As the same time, our family and friend can continue to use Whatsapp to contact the traveller without the dialing long international phone number.

As mentioned @Lu09020312 its impossible with PM, except in the US with a 10 day US roaming add on. But you can add a voip app such as TextNow and use it over WiFi to make/ receive/ send  calls and  texts for free back to Canada and the US. Stay safe. 

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Lu09020312 wrote:

Hi, 

I'm new to PM.

Just wondering in case of travelling overseas, can I receive text outside of Canada?

Thanks

@Lu09020312 hi no sorry only in Canada/US it is best to purchase a local sim when you get to your destination 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Lu09020312 wrote:

Hi, 

I'm new to PM.

Thanks

Hi @Lu09020312 ,

As others had inquired and shared about this topic in past forums, most will use messaging apps while in wifi areas (like whatsapp) when outside North America. Or buy a local SIM when you arrive where you are going.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Lu09020312  hi, welcome to PM! no, you cannot. the only other country you can receive texts is the US and only with a roaming add-on. 

Need Help? Let's chat.