cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you help me understand how I used up all my data?

AnthonyC09
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My issue is that I auto-paid on November 26, then the following day I get a notification that 100% of my data is used. I infer that my tablet device was using up all this data so I changed that to a metered connection but as I was looking at the data usage history I saw that 4.6 GB was used in the last 4 days, which is a lot but still within my 6.5 GB data plan limit, and I check my Public Mobile online account and see even less data used within a 30 day period. So I don't understand how all my data is used up.

Also, if I paid on November 26, shouldn't that mean the data-use cycle gets reset by now? This aspect makes the problem more puzzling.

4 REPLIES 4

@AnthonyC09 

If the first day of your new cycle was November 26th you have had 2 full days but you mention the usage over the last 4 days totalling 4.6 GB. This still leads me to believe your plan data did not reset despite the good advice by @Jb456  and @Anonymous . Check your daily usage history for the twice daily data bucket updates for your usage for the last 4 days for comparison.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnthonyC09 wrote:

My issue is that I auto-paid on November 26, then the following day I get a notification that 100% of my data is used. I infer that my tablet device was using up all this data so I changed that to a metered connection but as I was looking at the data usage history I saw that 4.6 GB was used in the last 4 days, which is a lot but still within my 6.5 GB data plan limit, and I check my Public Mobile online account and see even less data used within a 30 day period. So I don't understand how all my data is used up.

Also, if I paid on November 26, shouldn't that mean the data-use cycle gets reset by now? This aspect makes the problem more puzzling.

Are you looking at the phone counter or the self-serve counter? Make sure to align your phone counter with your plan renewal. This place is 30 days. Not a month.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

At renewal time your data resets. So when you log into your account right now you see all the data being used? Under my data and add-ons. Or you just got a text notification? I ask as sometimes a data usage text is sent in error.

You mentioned something about tablet. So do you use your cell phone as a hotspot sometimes for your tablet? You'd have to go through all settings on both devices and make sure they're set correctly so data is on a Strick ship. One software update can easily use a few gigs. Do you use it to hotspot other devices as well that may have come near the connection?

You want to set your devices to update on on wifi.

Now yes you may always use wifi BUT you have to fix those settings to. You need to turn off wifi assist or wifi + that automatically switch back and forth between wifi / data if the wifi signal is weak or having issues. So streaming something and your phone notices your wifi is acting up,etc it automatically switches you back to data for a better connection.

You should also look in developer options for "mobile data always on" some devices have that setting.

Then of course go through each app to set them correctly on what can run only on data and what can only use wifi. Then restrict background data also.

You can log into your account and click "view usage" under "change plan" and go through each page. It will show each date and time data was accessed and how much. (Eastern time) you're looking for "Data Event" Web.  

You can also go in your phone settings or tablet settings and view your data usage there by day, week, month. It will even show what apps used the most data.

Keep us posted.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@AnthonyC09 

It is possible that your data did not reset at renewal. If you add up your last 30 days usage and the last day since renewal does it approximately equal your plan amount? If so message the moderators to investigate and reset your data.

Need Help? Let's chat.