cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't text wife in US

Klr649
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Purchased US Roaming - 250 MB Data (10-day) for my wife who is traveling in the States and she is not receiving my texts. She has tried restarting phone, removing SIM, not really sure what else she can do. Any help appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Maiden wrote:

Because everyone you speak to also needs to download same app and I can't ask coworkers, etc. to do that.

Doesn't look very professional.

@Maiden sorry, what problem are you tyring to solve here?  Keeping in touch with coworkers while you're in the USA?  Do you not have a corporate IM system of some kind?  Where I work, we use Slack for instant messaging and phone/video calls, along with Skype for Business for conference calls with clients.  At my previous work we used Skype for Business for both of all of those things.  Both have mobile apps, which you can use to keep in touch over mobile data roaming and/or free wi-fi when connected.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Maiden
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just a follow-up. Don't put Facebook messenger on your phone.

FB uploads your entire comact list including names, numbers, email addresses AND addresses and stores the information forever....or until you go through the steps to request they delete all that PRIVATE information.

Maiden

Because everyone you speak to also needs to download same app and I can't ask coworkers, etc. to do that.

Doesn't look very professional.

Klr649

@mimmo wrote:

But as @will13am suggested why not install WhatsApp or vibre. They use data but are both popular messaging apps that don't use the standard SMS protocol.

We use a messaging app while on WiFi but because the allotted data is only 250 mb for ten days... which incidentally is showing at 75% used in one day with my wife insisting she has not used data. I wonder if this is all related somehow. Anyway. Thx again!

mimmo

US to US  works both ways

US to Canada works

Canada to usa (your account) doesn't work

Canada to USA ( a friends account) ???

The last two might  help determing which account is having issues.

But as @will13am suggested why not install WhatsApp or vibre. They use data but are both popular messaging apps that don't use the standard SMS protocol.

Klr649

My wife turned off data and asked me to message her and it went through!! My messages are still getting through after she turned data back on... not really sure what to make of this but it works now. Thx you all very much. Much appreciated.

Klr649

@mimmo wrote:

Is it only your SMS or other peoples SMS, just trying to isolate your account vs hers? Assuming regular SMS and not MMS.

Only my SMS from Canada. US SMS work fine. She even tried another phone with same behavior persisting.

Klr649

@will13am wrote:

Try a different messaging app, see if that makes a difference.

Strange.. other messaging apps behave the same as default messaging app.

mimmo

Is it only your SMS or other peoples SMS, just trying to isolate your account vs hers? Assuming regular SMS and not MMS.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Try a different messaging app, see if that makes a difference.

Klr649

Thk you very much.

@Maiden @Klr649 Now think it best you contact the moderators to confirm add-on provisioning is not the problem. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your phone number and an explanation. They've left for the night so expect a response tomorrow.

Best of luck.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Maiden

I also purchased a 10 day U.S. roaming, text & calling. I am receiving text messaging but can not send. 

Receiving calls is also sporadic. Very frustrating.

Klr649

@Luddite wrote:

So calling and data are fine? Best to look at her account to see if the add-on has been added, or if you have $20 in Available Funds.

Have her send you a text and see if she can receive your reply.

Hi yes, calling and data are fine and I have checked add on is definately there. She can send me a text and when I reply she gets the notification but actual text not showing.

Klr649

@will13am wrote:

Is the phone connecting properly to the roaming partner in the US?  I assume that is not the cause of the texting issue.

Hi yes, phone connecting to AT&T

Klr649

@Mana wrote:

@Klr649 when you are sending text, do you have +1 in front of her number?

Hi yes, there is a one in front of her number.

So calling and data are fine? Best to look at her account to see if the add-on has been added, or if you have $20 in Available Funds.

Have her send you a text and see if she can receive your reply.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Is the phone connecting properly to the roaming partner in the US?  I assume that is not the cause of the texting issue.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@Klr649 when you are sending text, do you have +1 in front of her number?

Klr649

Hi thank you. I should have been more clear. I purchased the $20 talk text and data plan. Thx again.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

If you purchased data only she will be able to receive standard texts. try sending an email to test her data connection. Alternatively, she could install the app from fongo.com, pick a Canadian number, then receive text from you or call from it.

Otherwise, you would need to add another US roaming add-on (text, or text & calling).

There are alternative texting apps you could both install and connect, Facebook Messenger for example.

Need Help? Let's chat.