cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send text to Northwest Territories

andy2
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I've had this problem for a while. I read something on the forums previously but can't find that information now - so I think this is a known problem. I get a text back from public each time I try to text my friend in NWT that public mobile considers NWT area codes to not to be part of Canada and so I cannot send a text message to NWT since it's not part of Canada.

Can someone help me with this issue so I can send text messages to my friend.

Note: I can receive texts from my friend I just cannot reply because he has a NWT area code.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

MaryT

Update: I messaged a moderator, and he apologized and said that "they currently lack the network to be able to provide you with Nunavut services, it appears that you won't be able to reach them when it comes to placing calls".

Unfortunately, this means I'm going to have to switch services. With the close friends I have up north, I need to be able to call them.

MaryT

I used to be able to text my friend in Nunavut, but suddenly a few days ago I started getting the automatic reply that the number was outside of Canada. This needs to get resolved -- internet is spotty up north, so texting is the only way I can communicate with her!

@CS_Agent

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Would love to hear an update on this one.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@andy2 @Mary_M Has this issue been resolved, or explained?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Maybe a snowstorm knocked one of their towers up north down?

Just kidding 😛

andy2

I've tried texting to the person directly using +1 867 .... and gotten the auto msg back that I can't send a text outside of canada. I've tried replying to text's I've gotten from the person with the same result. 

I've been on public since last april or may (2016), I think I'm on Canada only. 

I'm in Canada (not NWT) on an LG nexus 5x phone. 

Searching the archives it looks like the solution is for public to allow 'international' texting for people to contact NWT. I'll try contacting a moderator. 

ahhhh i gotcha, was thinking it was a boder issue.

srlawren

@CaNuCk07 wrote:

@srlawren Even if it was canada only, whose cell tower could northwest territories be picking up lol?  yukon, maybe an alaskan tower or something but NW?

@CaNuCk07 I don't think the tower in question is the problem, as @andy2 is not in the NWT but somewhere in Canada, and is trying to text a friend that is in NWT.  The error coming back indicates that PM thinks the number he is trying to send to is not in Canada, which isn't correct.  But for that to even be an issue, I'm assuming Andy is on a Canada-wide texting plan.  I could be wrong.  😉

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren Even if it was canada only, whose cell tower could northwest territories be picking up lol?  yukon, maybe an alaskan tower or something but NW?

srlawren

@andy2 is your plan maybe Canada-wide texting only?  This was an option on plans prior to about mid-summer 2016, so it's possible thats what your plan has.  No, obviously, NWT is part of Canada, so that's the actual root cause of this issue.  You should indeed be able to text folks in NWT no problem.

@Shazia_K is this something you could connect with @andy2 about?  Thank you!

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

I think you you will need moderator assistance. Send any one of them a private message ( @Mary_M for example) with your phone number and an explanation. Coverage is currently: 

Mon-Thursday 9am(EST) to 9pm(EST) and Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 9am(EST) to 5:30pm(EST).

Two things to try while waiting:

a) use +1 in front of their number,

b) reply directly to an incoming message.

Are you able to call them?

What is make/model is your phone?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There shouldn't be an issue since Public Mobile plans have global texting. 

You should tag a moderator for clarification or send them a message.

Here's a guide:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contacting-our-Community-Moderators/ta-...

Need Help? Let's chat.