cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't see what speed data my current plan includes

jbridges
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I accidently used all of my data during an accidental hot spot issue(My fault obviously, nothing to do with public mobile) and now I'm looking at new plans and such to see what my best options are for getting back to having a phone with data, not really interested in paying almost a month worth of service for an extra 1gb, so considering options. One option is changing to a "better" plan with public mobile. Problem is nowhere in my account does it show the speed of my data, so it's hard to compare. I've had the plan for years, and when I look at my account it only says "- 3GB Data"(90 day plan). Don't really want to drop down to 3G if what I'm getting right now is 4G.

Is there any other way I can find out what speed my current plan is?

Thanks in advance

13 REPLIES 13

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jbridges , if you look at the overview tab, the data bucket shown there will refer to 3G if the data speed is throttled.  If not, there will be no reference to data speed.  BTW, you can ask a moderator to early renew your existing plan off schedule to restore data.  I am on a legacy full speed plan and I would do that if I ran out of data.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@jbridges I just had an idea. If you have nearly 30 days before you get your data back, I think you still have until tomorrow to get a free sim at participating retailers, e.g. walmart, if you have them activate the sim.

Maybe you could consider signing up for a new number with 3g data just to try the 3G and see how you like it. You need to sign up for the $25 plan (500 MB if you don't sign up for autopay) to get the deal, I think. This way, you'll have data for the next 30 days (have to switch out your sims of course to use your current number for text and calls) and if you don't notice a difference, you can move plans on your current sim before your 90 day plan renews.

@CS_Agent wrote:

Dear jbridges

Thank you for contacting Public Mobile

I am sorry you had the issue with your data

Just to inform you, all our plans have the 3 G speed

Sincerely

Jorge M

Public Mobile Community Moderator

That's not strictly true since PM still offers one plan that is 4G data only plan, plus some of the older legacy plans also have 4G data grandfathered in, which is probably the case for OP here..

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Dear jbridges

Thank you for contacting Public Mobile

I am sorry you had the issue with your data

Just to inform you, all our plans have the 3 G speed

Sincerely

Jorge M

Public Mobile Community Moderator

@jbridges wrote:
My Plan

• This plan includes: -
  • - 3 Choices with Provincial Talk
  • - 3GB Data
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

Then to the right
$126 per 90 Days

I've had it over 2 years now

I used to have the same plan as you. Along came the $25 plan and I switched. I don't stream movies or music on my phone so the 3G is perfect for me. Plus...I $aved a few buck$. As @ChuckYeah  advised...if you do change plans, you won't get this one back as it's no longer available.

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@jbridges I am not telling you what to do, but consider the plan I am on.

For $25 per 30 days ON AUTOPAY:

You get 1 GB of 3G data so 3GB in 90 days

And for your current 90-day period, only $75.

My speedtest have revealed 3Mbs on LTE (throttled, but consistent) and 9 - 12 Mbs on 3G. Upload is not as consistant on 3G for me.

You can still watch youtube videos at 360 or 480 resolution fine, You can still download apps and use fb and email without hesitation. If I were in your shoes, I would consider the 3G options.

That being said, you will never get the plan you're on again (more than likely) and maybe even never have the option of LTE , or at least until 5G becomes the standard.

@jbridges wrote:
My Plan

• - 3GB Data

Then to the right
$126 per 90 Days

IIRC I've read some other posts that suggest if you don't see what speed your data is, then you are probably on 4G (although I may just be mis-remembering).  Since 90 day plans and also 4G data plans are no longer offered, excepting the $30/1GB data only at 4G, you will lose your plan should you decide to change it now.  But a lot a people say 3G speed data is more than adequate for all internet activity unless you are watching high resolution videos.

@jbridges wrote:
My Plan

• - 3GB Data

Then to the right
$126 per 90 Days

@jbridges 

You should have LTE data, no mention of the 3G speed like my account. 

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

myplan.PNG

Mine is a ready made, and says 3G, my guess is that yours IS LTE, but as I say someone who hashad the same plan is better to advise you, or maybe someone from @CS_Agent .

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@jbridges 

If in your plan features, you do not see the 3G speed beside your data line, then you have the LTE speed data.  I have a feeling that you have LTE data.

See below:

My Plan.png

jbridges
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
My Plan

• - 3GB Data

Then to the right
$126 per 90 Days

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@jbridges when you look in self serve how is your plan described? Maybe someone will recognize it as being the same as theirs or different from the current 3g plan description. 

Are you 30 day or 90 day?

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@jbridges

I think the easiest would be do a speedtest but you have used up your data. I guess you used Build your own plan back in the day, how much you are paying? It should be more expensive for full speed LTE.

Honestly if you are concerned about LTE speed just upgrade to Koodo (I think that's Telus's intention). When you consider deals and phones it is about the same price, provided you have good credit rating.

3G data plan means it is "3G like" speed capped at 3Mbps while you are on LTE. If you switch to 3G ie disable LTE if your phone is capable and there are enough available slots in the tower you can get more speed in 3G mode.

Need Help? Let's chat.