cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive calls from landline!

flypek
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello! This is an ongoing problem for a few months already, anyone could help please? I'd really appreciate that! so basically I cannot receive calls from some landlines (not all of them!), and below is the situation:

1. I did not port any number, I was new with public mobile with a new number a few months ago. 

2. I have the area code 236, and my friend has the same area code but he's with Fido. And we tried to call our phone from the same landline phone, he can receive the call without any issue but I can't. So it's not a new area code problem. And when dialing (+1) and then my phone number, then I can receive the call. But when dialing my friend's phone, no (+1) needed! But still, I don't want to miss any calls just because people don't dial (+1). Smiley Sad

3. I thought it may be a phone number problem, so I changed the phone number once here and it still has the same issue. So chaning phone number doesn't work. 

4. It's not that I can't receive calls from all landlines, cause I can sometimes receive calls from the doctor's office, but may be told by some bank office that they cannot call my phone! (the number you dialed is invalid or unreachable or something).

Thank you very much guys!Smiley Happy

9 REPLIES 9

@flypek it's the second 3 digits of your phone number that determines wether your call is local or not. Check your yoir phone number using this site to see if it is   http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

@flypek wrote:

Thank you! But my friend and I have the same area code.

@flypek 

Google your area code and find the wiki page about it. You will see the map of the area that area code covers, you will also see local exchanges, you will notice that reach town will have handful of 3 numbers, those are the 3 leading numbers if they phone number. Large cities will have much longer list. You can search for your number and your friend's number and see where reach money is truly 'local'. 

Take a look at area 902, it spills out of the province, it's in both pei and ns,(definitive not always local), and it  used to be in Newfoundland too.

scorpio17
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I personally use "+1" code every time and save contacts with "+1" code. It is important when you are traveling. I think this is a good habit.

@Luddite wrote:

@flypek In case you are still wondering about this question, you said: "when dialing (+1) and then my phone number, then I can receive the call. But when dialing my friend's phone, no (+1) needed!".

This indicates the landline is long distance from your cell phone number but not from your friend's. This is typical for landlines using an area code that covers a larger geographic area.

@flypek wrote:

Having the same area code doesn't make a call local. For that to happen, the rate centre being called needs to be local from where the call is being placed.

What city is your friend calling from and what are the first 3 digits after the area code for your number?

The most likely cause for all this would be that the call is long distance.  If by chance your number really is local for your friend to call you, it is the outgoing caller's carrier that would need to fix that as that wouldn't be related to the Public Mobile service.

flypek

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@flypek In case you are still wondering about this question, you said: "when dialing (+1) and then my phone number, then I can receive the call. But when dialing my friend's phone, no (+1) needed!".

This indicates the landline is long distance from your cell phone number but not from your friend's. This is typical for landlines using an area code that covers a larger geographic area.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@flypek is this all landlines, And only landlines? What's the message that you got when the landline was unable to connect? What type of phone are you using?  And are the landline calls that your friend at Fido can receive, the same ones that you can't.?  Thanks. 

@flypek wrote:

I have exactly the same issue. I have 236 area code, and I cannot receive calls from landlines. My friend who has the same area code and with Fido can received landline calls without a problem. So I don't think it's a new area code issue. Have your issue been solved yet? 

@flypek  Try using airplane mode for ten minutes and have someone try to call you from a landline. If that doesn't work...check your settings maybe there something in there. @iPhoneUser  might be able to help there. If you can pop your SIM in an android phone and it can recieve landline calls you will know it's a phone issue. If an android phone can't recieve called as well then contact the moderators because it could then possibly be an account provisioning issue or a back end issue.

flypek

I have exactly the same issue. I have 236 area code, and I cannot receive calls from landlines. My friend who has the same area code and with Fido can received landline calls without a problem. So I don't think it's a new area code issue. Have your issue been solved yet? 

Need Help? Let's chat.