cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get internet to work

Jackiefargo
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So I've sifted through several posts on here about internet not working. I set the parameters in settings that many people have posted, as well as restarting the phone. It is a samsung s7.

My sons phone has minimal internet, so I'm not highly concerned about him having access but I would like him to be able to send and receive pictures. Anyone run across this problem?

14 REPLIES 14

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Oreck wrote:

Hi,

My problem is somewhat the same but not andriod based.

I use an old Nokia flipphone   (because I want to).

When I try to get on the internet my phone says "subscribe to packet data first".

I had this same prob before with Telus but their girls in customer service were able to cure it.

If I put my PM sim card in my i5s I can create a hotspot.

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks

@Oreck your Nokia probably doesn't know how to auto-configure it's APN for Public Mobile.  If you post your model number here, maybe someone can help dig up some directions for setting the APN.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Oreck
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

My problem is somewhat the same but not andriod based.

I use an old Nokia flipphone   (because I want to).

When I try to get on the internet my phone says "subscribe to packet data first".

I had this same prob before with Telus but their girls in customer service were able to cure it.

If I put my PM sim card in my i5s I can create a hotspot.

Anybody have any advice?

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jackiefargo wrote:

Some of your info was different than what others have posted so I changed it.

Internet actually works! Thank you!

Yes. As geopublic said, all you needed was the right apn type settings. Those other numbers that you had can also work. But glad you got it going.

@will13am: meh...can't be bothered 🙂 It's the 'wifes' phone..ie. a 2nd line...basically for mobile hotspot with that 5gb promo data...which I'm running on the Z30 and even currently the Z10. I'm experiencing some wifi dropouts that I'm trying to nail down the actual problem. Not yet certain if it's the S7 or the BB. With the Z30, the wifi seems to drop on it. With the Z10, the wifi seems to drop on the S7. So it's confusing. I'll also be trying on a Windows Phone eventually.

Time to go with current hardware and recycle the heavily dated phones.  

Well...the S7 isn't antique yet. It's running 8 as well. I think the wifi problem is the S7 as I used to use the Z10 extensively as a hotspot connecting to a laptop and no drop outs that I noticed. I only revived it wondering if the problem was the Z30. And then I'll try the Windows Phone. It's just for hotspot so I don't care about apps and such in this use.

I will admit that the availability of modern, working, updated, non-runtime-OS4 apps in the Android world have been very nice. I don't do no stinkin' tree fruit brands. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jackiefargo wrote:

Yes. As geopublic said, all you needed was the right apn type settings. Those other numbers that you had can also work. But glad you got it going.

@will13am: meh...can't be bothered 🙂 It's the 'wifes' phone..ie. a 2nd line...basically for mobile hotspot with that 5gb promo data...which I'm running on the Z30 and even currently the Z10. I'm experiencing some wifi dropouts that I'm trying to nail down the actual problem. Not yet certain if it's the S7 or the BB. With the Z30, the wifi seems to drop on it. With the Z10, the wifi seems to drop on the S7. So it's confusing. I'll also be trying on a Windows Phone eventually.

Time to go with current hardware and recycle the heavily dated phones.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jackiefargo wrote:

@Jackiefargo wrote:

received_436962200488461.png

received_846338509070228.png

received_630111847494696.png

@Jackiefargo

APN Type is not correct.

Jackiefargo

Jackiefargo

received_436962200488461.png

received_846338509070228.png

received_630111847494696.png

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jackiefargo wrote:

So I've sifted through several posts on here about internet not working. I set the parameters in settings that many people have posted, as well as restarting the phone. It is a samsung s7.

My sons phone has minimal internet, so I'm not highly concerned about him having access but I would like him to be able to send and receive pictures. Anyone run across this problem?

I have the same phone. I never touched the APN settings and it all works fine.

Settings/Connections/Mobile networks/Access Point Names - if you don't see one in there then touch ADD upper right.

I'll fill in what is set and ignore others

APN = sp.mb.com

MMSC = http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy = mmscproxy.mobility.ca

MMS port = 8799

MCC = 302

MNC = 220

APN type = default,mms,supl

APN protocol = IPv4

Mobile virtual network operator type = GID

Mobile virtual network operatorvalue = 4D

And of course turn on data:

Settings/Connections/Data usage/Mobile data to on

Are you going to change your community name to match the phone you use?  Smiley Tongue

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

Can he access the internet via wifi? If so, I'd log into My account and see what it says regarding data, near the bottom of the main screen. If there's no data showing you should look at the usage. If he has the $15 plan, 250 can be used up pretty quick in a busy young life!

Yesterday I went live on Facebook for about 3 min total and used about 100mb that day.

I have a small plan also and I just cycle my data on and off when I need to text a picture under MMS (no data charges) or when I want to use the internet without wifi.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jackiefargo wrote:

I have the same phone. I never touched the APN settings and it all works fine.

Settings/Connections/Mobile networks/Access Point Names - if you don't see one in there then touch ADD upper right.

I'll fill in what is set and ignore others

APN = sp.mb.com

MMSC = http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy = mmscproxy.mobility.ca

MMS port = 8799

MCC = 302

MNC = 220

APN type = default,mms,supl

APN protocol = IPv4

Mobile virtual network operator type = GID

Mobile virtual network operatorvalue = 4D

And of course turn on data:

Settings/Connections/Data usage/Mobile data to on

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

To jump start the sim card, maybe you can try the phone  lost / found trick.   

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Jackiefargo wrote:

@Jackiefargo  Can you post a screenshot of your apn settings?

bravo_md
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What plan do you have and what is included.   When is the renewal date?

Need Help? Let's chat.