cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to internet using data

dpominville
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just joined Public mobile and can't get my phone to connect to the internet via data, works fine on wifi though.I got the 3G plan and i'm using a LG Nexus phone. I checked all the APN settings and they are all like mentioned online. When I try to go to a site using Google Chrome I get a message saying You are unable to access the web because of one of the following reasons: 1You have exhausted the data in your plan (impossible I have 1 gig and haven't used it yet) 2 your base plan has expired, (again, brand new plan), 3 you are roaming on a partner network in the USA (I'm in canada still so nope) 4 your phone has been reported lost or stolen ( got this from a buddy and it hasn't been reported lost or stole and text/phone part still works) 5 your account has been suspended to do fraudulent activity ( it doesn't say anything about that when I log into my account)

I need help!!!!

29 REPLIES 29

@PublicGoat 

If you have an iPhone we know exactly what your problem is....likely the same with Android only with a different fix. But not telling us that info leaves only Penn and Teller to help you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PublicGoat wrote:

Look I have a phone with data that allows me to access the internet as promised by PM.

Travel to Vancouver Island and the only internet I got was wifi offered by Shaw in the mall, by Rogers in the restaurant.  When away from these services in the middle of the city not some remote wilderness  I had telephone service but no internet like I used to get when I was with Rogers before I got PM.   I was at the beginning of my data plan month and still had nearly 1gig of data left for me to use.  

I maintain that WHATS APP did not send me that text message is because PM would not handle it the message was handed off later when I returned to my home WIFI.    

You tell me where the problem is.  I maintain PM is letting me down not delivering the service I pay for.   You have a solution for me ,fine.    

@PublicGoat 

you can use that two app is the best and for Free.

visit Here link 

or Here link 

enjoy your trip...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PublicGoat : And we're wondering about your data situation. You say you have data left in your account. It shows up under your My Data & Add-ons. Don't go by whatever your phone says on this. Great. Then we wonder about your APN settings on the phone. If you can open a browser and go to a web page then great. Then we might wonder about that app. Is it set to work in the background while on cell data. And of course through all this testing you have your wifi off and your cell data on.

Have you said what make/model/submodel phone it is?

PublicGoat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Look I have a phone with data that allows me to access the internet as promised by PM.

Travel to Vancouver Island and the only internet I got was wifi offered by Shaw in the mall, by Rogers in the restaurant.  When away from these services in the middle of the city not some remote wilderness  I had telephone service but no internet like I used to get when I was with Rogers before I got PM.   I was at the beginning of my data plan month and still had nearly 1gig of data left for me to use.  

I maintain that WHATS APP did not send me that text message is because PM would not handle it the message was handed off later when I returned to my home WIFI.    

You tell me where the problem is.  I maintain PM is letting me down not delivering the service I pay for.   You have a solution for me ,fine.    

@hTideGnow 

And a must if you very little plan data (ie. 250mb) and a lot of add on data (a 5gb bonus data add on or more) as pm's data usage warnings at 75% or 95% are too little too late in this scenario.

@darlicious wrote:

With a better understanding of data usage and setting the phone's data warning (and limiter if you wish)

True, Data limiter is a MUST for mobile hotspot!!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dpominville 

I like the teaching moment idea....but the following will help cut down on data usage and if done together with your daughter it will help her understand how data is used and what apps are best used on WiFi rather than with mobile data and she will learn how to manage her data usage. Once done you could purchase a one time only $15/1gb data add on (which the unused portion will roll over each 30 days to supplement plan data when needed until completely consumed.)

With a better understanding of data usage and setting the phone's data warning (and limiter if you wish) really low (ie. 50mb) you can challenge your daughter to use as little of the data add on as possible for the rest of the 30 day cycle. Anything left over benefits her by supplementing her plan data in the future and she will learn to stay within her plan data alottment, monitor her own usage and know on day 28 to 30 if she has excessive data left in her plan she can go hog wild on tiktok or whatever her favourite app is with her friends (but have the limiter stop data at the 1gb of plan data so she doesn't waste her add on data but she can reset the limiter to use a bit if she went hog wild a little too early!)

Spoiler

Here are some tips on data usage that can help you conserve data usage and/or find where high data usage is coming from.....

1. Turn your data saver on.*
  2. Set your data tracker to the correct calendar dates of your 30 day cycle.
  3. Set your data warning. ( I set mine to 25% of plan data**.)
  4. Set your data limiter. (I set mine to 50%.**)
  5. Turn off all background data in your app usage settings.***
  6. Set video content to play on wifi only ( or off altogether) in each individual app's settings.
  7. Turn off wifi assist for iPhone or the Android equivalent.
  8. For low data plans turn off mobile data and turn on when needed or to download MMS.
  9. Use free wifi when available.
  10. Double check that your phone is connected to wifi. Your phone can sometimes not automatically reconnect to wifi after rebooting, resetting or leaving/entering a wifi area.

*Android and iPhone's data saver tools work differently it is prudent to check settings in each phone's apps for such things as your photo app for device syncing, backing up etc.... Note: viewing or searching for backed up/stored photos can use considerable mobile data.

**Public Mobile sends out a text from 611 giving a warning at 75% and 95% of total data usage. If you have data add ons these warnings include both plan data and add on data.

**So if you just have 1gb of plan data you will get a warning at 756mb/1024mb and 973mb/1024mb. However if you have 1gb of plan data and a 5gb data add on (1024mb+5120mb=6144mb) these warnings will recieved at 4608mb/6144mb and 5837mb/6144mb respectively.

**This is why setting your data warning and limiter is important so that an errant app's sudden usage can be noticed and/or stopped by your phone's data usage tools rather than relying on pm's limited warnings system.

***Background data can use up to 38% of your data that is pure wastage.

Get in the habit of taking screenshots of your overview page and payment history before and after renewal for record keeping and checking that your data and/or limited minute/text counter resets.

@PublicGoat 

Your data issue is likely the one of the 3 reasons as mentioned by @Anonymous  and @hTideGnow .

1. You are out of data for your 30 day plan.*
  2. You have not turned on your mobile data.
  3. You have not configured your APN settings.

*Since you have mentioned that you have not been able to access the data you paid for....log into your self serve account to double check but it sounds like your data has not been used at all.

That leaves turning your mobile data on....which I assume you have. So if you have an Android phone not all of them populate the APN for you. You need to edit the APN setting yourself. If you have an iPhone you have to connect to WiFi, check for software updates and connect to iTunes to have apple update your APN. Read about the procedure in the link below...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118#M24562

For Android use the following APN settings although depending on your device some slight tweaks can be made if they do not work.

Spoiler

As long as you are up to date and you don't have greyed out settings you can edit your APN.

Name

Mobile Internet

APN

sp.mb.com

Proxy

Not set

Port

Not set

Username

Not set

Password

Not set

Server

Not set

MMSC

http://aliasredirect/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy

mmscproxy.mobility.ca

MMS port

MCC

MNC

Authentication type

Not set

APN type

default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol

IPv4

APN roaming protocol

IPv4

APN enable/disable

APN enabled

Bearer

Unspecified

MVNO type

GID

MVNO value

4D4F

Public Mobile can't read your mind or what your phone can or cannot do and magically fix it. You must ask for help here or contact customer support to fix any issues you may be having.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PublicGoat : Time lines.

"Was sent a "Whatsapp" message. Before 12:30"

Did you have cell data on on this drive across town? Did you have cell data on hand during this time?

"15:30 returned to my home wifi, checked my messages................nothing"

Soooo....how is that PM's fault? Other than the above questions.

"Within minutes the message was sent to my phone ...............3 hours late"

I guess there was a delay for WhatsApp to see you. Again...not PM's fault.

"Journeyed to Vancouver Island stayed for 5 days with out the ability to access any of my apps unless I was in public wifi range. No restaurants sites hotel sites nothing"

What do you mean "public wifi". Coffee shops, hotels or do you mean cell data from here? Being in range is a different problem that would depend on where you were and if you isolated.

What do you mean no restaurants or hotels? Is your phone not able to do standard wifi? Is that what you mean by restaurants and hotels?

So yes...do you or did you have data available in your account here? Were you previously able to access the internet with the phone with cell data? Are you only able to access the internet using wifi from home or coffee shops or whatever?

You have a couple factors to figure out. Cell data on hand and APN settings in the phone to use that cell data and of course having turned on cell data.

@PublicGoat   Whatsapp need Mobile Data or Wifi..

So, you haven't answer @Anonymous question yet.. are you out of  data?  (logon to My Account and it will tell you )  or you have configure APN or download carrier profile yet (was your Mobile Data ever work)?

PublicGoat

Date Sun 12Sep21

Location travel #1 between Burnaby And Abbotsford

Phone worked fine

Was sent  a "Whatsapp" message.   Before 12:30  message needed an answer 

15:30 returned to my home wifi,  checked my messages................nothing

Within minutes the message was sent to my phone ...............3 hours late

Sep 1 2021

Journeyed to Vancouver Island stayed for 5 days with out the ability to access any of my apps unless I was in public wifi range.  No restaurants sites  hotel sites nothing

If that the service PM provides it makes me very unhappy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PublicGoat : I think you need a better understanding of how cell systems work and the services therein and especially how your phone works. If you are using iMessages configured to use the internet then you need to wait to find internet again. Same with Android chat/RCS.

If you're out of data then too bad so sad. Or, if you haven't configured APN on an Android or downloaded a carrier profile for an iphone then the cell data won't work anyway.

Being out of range is also a whole other matter.

So tell us...what exact scenario and account situation were you in when this terrible incident happened.

PublicGoat

I challenge you to take a trip to the Canadian wilderness where telephone service is intact and you desire to access an app or search only to have a message appear indicating in ability to connect to the internet.   

Or you may be traveling between local municipalities and discover a message that was not received while out and then shows itself hours later after you arrive at your home wifi.  A time sensitive message missed because PM did not use your included data for you to receive this message. 

Bitter is a feeling that comes to mind.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PublicGoat : Wow. Thread necro for a rant. I've been with Telus for decades. Cell service, wireless home phone, SmartHub, Optik tv/internet via fibre, dial-up internet, ADSL, copper landline. Coming and going with one service or another. I haven't had issues that are insurmountable or intolerable.

PublicGoat

There you go my friend.  You have committed yourself to the abuse and miss-use of this company.  Please make sure your credit card stays current so you can pay for this miserable service.  Service of the dropped calls and no internet when you require it.  You will come to realize that one of the biggest communication companies in Canada is also one of the poorest purveyors of their core business.........COMMUNICATION. 

I was with Telus in the past and found them to be very lacking, I promised myself I would never return,  only to discover PM is a withered arm of this pathetic corporation. Where the service has not improved in the interval.

No my friend you were dazzled by the siren song of promises made only to realize you need to prepare yourself for repeated disappointments,  to never get any data internet that you've paid for.  These people will not and cannot help you.  Just make sure you have public WIFI to save you.

Ughhh...Daughters eh lol

@Luddite wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

At least you found out the reason.  Smiley Happy

You can buy an add on for extra data if needed.  Expensve $30 for 1 GB

Starting your current plan early with moderator assistance is usually cheaper. A friend on the 19.5 GB 3G plan often restarts after only  2 months!

Could do that but this is just after one day .I think a better lesson would to now have to go rest of plan time without data.  A teaching opportunity is here lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Dunkman wrote:

Starting your current plan early with moderator assistance is usually cheaper. A friend on the 19.5 GB 3G plan often restarts after only  2 months!

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@dpominville wrote:

you know what i'm thinking my daughter might of used up all the data without knowing she did all in one day!!!! I just looked on the phone and that's what it looks like. Sorry to have bugged everyone 😞

D'oh.

download_20140314_093700.jpg

dpominville

you know what i'm thinking my daughter might of used up all the data without knowing she did all in one day!!!! I just looked on the phone and that's what it looks like. Sorry to have bugged everyone 😞

@dpominville Click on the Usage and see how much data you have remaining. If you don't see anything and have not used any data yet, contact the mod team and they will investigate. 

dpominville

yes the apn is selected.

I can't figure out how to  do this part.  When you go to settings, status, SIM status, does mobile network state say connected and Mobile network type hspa or LTE

when I go to settings I don't have anything that says status.....

If none of the above suggetions work, you may need to contact PM moderator to see whether they can help.  

@dpominville wrote:

ok when I look at my overview page this is what it says under plan:

• This plan includes: -
  • - 1GB at 3G Speed
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

but then when I look under Data and add ons it says:

• You currently don't have any Add ons on your account

As for the setting's i'm new to adroids this is my daughters phone and Im used to iPhones so having a hard time finding everything. I did find the APN settings and it's all the way it should be 

@dpominville, did you also select that APN just to make sure it gets used.  Also do the other checks as I have already suggested? 

dpominville

ok when I look at my overview page this is what it says under plan:

• This plan includes: -
  • - 1GB at 3G Speed
  • - Unlimited Canada-wide Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

but then when I look under Data and add ons it says:

• You currently don't have any Add ons on your account

As for the setting's i'm new to adroids this is my daughters phone and Im used to iPhones so having a hard time finding everything. I did find the APN settings and it's all the way it should be 

lstokes
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi there,

Try the solution I found for my LG Tablet.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/Tablet-won-t-connect-to-data/m-p/2525...

Hopefully this works for you!

Cheers,

Liam

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dpominville, do you see a 3G or LTE symbol next to the signal strength notification.  When you go to settings, status, SIM status, does mobile network state say connected and Mobile network type hspa or LTE?  If not then I think the APN may be wrong.  Otherwise the other problem can be the mobile data needs to be turned on and data limit not blocking data usage.  Just to be sure, this is the official knowledge base on setting up the APN.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@dpominville Login to your self-serve account and look on the Overview page to see if you have data available to use. If yes, go back to APN settings and match it with the one found here: https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en 

Need Help? Let's chat.