cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't call local area code 236

rodolfoavila
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone,

My son has a 236 area code phone #, here in Vancouver. Despite having province wide calling on my plan, i'm unable to call my son. Every time i try, i receive the following error message: "The phone number you are trying to call requires a long distance plan."

As 236 is a local area code in the province (British Columbia) I shouldn't need a long distance plan add on to dial my son. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rudy

@CS_Agent

11 REPLIES 11

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

heard similar cases before, wonder how those turned out.

@mimmowrote:

thansk @wetcoaster and @rodolfoavila  being a vancouver island boy   i am pretty isolated from the happening of the big city next door 🙂

I know where you are coming from - I don't even remember the last time I took the ferry to that part of the mainland... Couple of days in the capital city earlier this week was just enough. 😉

Definately contact the moderators on this.  It sounds like 'local calling area' needs to be updated on the network.

Sadly a regular occurance it seems.  Include the specific phone number you're dialing when you contact them.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

thansk @wetcoaster and @rodolfoavila  being a vancouver island boy   i am pretty isolated from the happening of the big city next door 🙂

@mimmowrote:

when did BC get a 236 area code? 

It's been set aside 5 or so years ago. I think I read somewhere that new Public Mobile numbers in bigger parts of the lower mainland are now 236-xxx-yyyy.

Whereas here on the Island we still have 250 (Parksville for example) and 778 numbers to choose from.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

when did BC get a 236 area code?   

edit just googled back in june 2013 

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rodolfoavilawrote:

No it does not, i've also tried adding the +1 or just the one prior to the phone number, but no luck.   Thanks for replying!

If it still does not work with a 1+236-xxx-xxxx in front, then the next step would be to send a message to the Moderators to have them look into this issue.

rodolfoavila
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No it does not, i've also tried adding the +1 or just the one prior to the phone number, but no luck.   Thanks for replying!

twest666
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

May need a moderator to look into it, best I can suggest is try dialing it without a 1 infront and just dial it as 236-***-****. May work. Probably moderators are the best to help if you have already tried that. 

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@rodolfoavilawrote:

Hi everyone,

My son has a 236 area code phone #, here in Vancouver. Despite having province wide calling on my plan, i'm unable to call my son. Every time i try, i receive the following error message: "The phone number you are trying to call requires a long distance plan."

As 236 is a local area code in the province (British Columbia) I shouldn't need a long distance plan add on to dial my son. Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rudy

@CS_Agent

Does the call connect? You will not be charged extra after this message (it's a system warning from the days when anything outside your town was long distance)

Try saving the number as +1-236-xxx-yyyy, that has solved the problem for a couple of people.

If your call doesn't connect after you've ignored the warning you need the moderator team to look into it. It's better to send them a private message to get in line - they work on a first come first serve basis.

Use this link to send a private message to the @Moderator_Team, include all relevant information in your message, such as account number, PIN, phone number, detailed problem description.

More information on contacting the mods: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

Need Help? Let's chat.