cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can receive text but not send

shegarty
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Strange issue, my daughter can call out, receive a call and receive text messages but the messages that display as sent on her phone are not received by multiple recipients. Any ideas?

20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shegarty wrote:
@shegarty wrote:

Just had a look through her usage - might possibly be out of text messages as it is the old $10 plan. Is there no message alert that she would receive to let her know this?

Should get a text from 611 saying 10 texts left.

When I asked her she said "Well, yeah but that was a long time ago" ... kids 😜 ... might have told me that before I spent an hour trying to figure out what was going on. Changed her to the new $15 plan that has unlimited texts - now she can send as many as she wants. Thanks for all the help folks.

Did you do that as an immediate plan change? Or at your next renewal?

The $10 plan is discontinued. You wouldn't be able to go back to it. There are workarounds like wifi texting or using MMS picture messaging. But in this case maybe that's fine. I just thought you might like to know.

shegarty
@shegarty wrote:

Just had a look through her usage - might possibly be out of text messages as it is the old $10 plan. Is there no message alert that she would receive to let her know this?

When I asked her she said "Well, yeah but that was a long time ago" ... kids 😜 ... might have told me that before I spent an hour trying to figure out what was going on. Changed her to the new $15 plan that has unlimited texts - now she can send as many as she wants. Thanks for all the help folks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shegarty wrote:

shegarty
@shegarty wrote:
@shegarty wrote:
@shegarty wrote:

She just uses the standard messaging app. We have only tried text messages but I will try a picture as well. I appears that multiple people are not able to receive messages sent from her device.

Is it possible that the texting is set on always picture messaging (MMS)? Which would therefore need cell data turned on.

Possibly - it looks like she can sent picture messages ...

Check that the SMSC # is 16475800172 and that SMS is in fact enabled.

Yep - SMSC# is correct and SMS is enabled. This problem only started occurring recently - not sure exactly when though

Yep - 

What are the odds that this account is on the old $10 plan? If so then maybe it's simply out of texts.

jbcrash
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey @shegarty 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. 

Personally I've encountered this problem a couple of times and I've found two things tend to fix it. 

The first is resetting the network settings on your phone (which has already been suggested) 

You can do this by going to:

Settings > Backup and reset > reset network settings > reset settings

The phone will then do its thing. 

Here's a great link with pictures on how to do it on the Acatel Idol 4's OS. 

The second fix that sometimes weirdly works for me, even though I've never been able to explain why, is making sure you have the 1 prefix in front of the number. So if you're trying to text the number (000) 000-0000, switch that for 1(000) 000-0000. Again, I have no idea why this works, I would assume it has something to do with the app glitching and thinking it's trying to send international texts. 

I hope this helps you out, let me know if you figure it out!

@shegarty 

Maybe try a factory reset.  

You also could try putting the SIM card in another working phone.  Just to rule out a Public mobile service issue.  Still likely a hardware issue.

The phone is getting fairly old.  If the troubleshooting advice here does not work, maybe time to get a newer phone.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shegarty wrote:
@shegarty wrote:
@shegarty wrote:

She just uses the standard messaging app. We have only tried text messages but I will try a picture as well. I appears that multiple people are not able to receive messages sent from her device.

Is it possible that the texting is set on always picture messaging (MMS)? Which would therefore need cell data turned on.

Yep - SMSC# is correct and SMS is enabled. This problem only started occurring recently - not sure exactly when though

Yep - 

What are the odds that this account is on the old $10 plan? If so then maybe it's simply out of texts.

shegarty
@shegarty wrote:
@shegarty wrote:

Yep - 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shegarty wrote:
@shegarty wrote:

shegarty
@shegarty wrote:

shegarty

@shegarty try resetting the network settings

• open up the settings menu
  • scroll down to back & reset
  • tap network settings reset>reset settings
  • tap again to confirm
  • restart and test

After doing to reset I received a picture message that she sent ages ago that was never previously received. After restarting the phone messages are still not being sent even though they appear as sent on her phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shegarty wrote:

@shegarty find out if the recipents that can't receive the messages are using iPhones and if the problem is with mms messages enable data.Stay safe. 

shegarty

@shegarty try resetting the network settings

• open up the settings menu
  • scroll down to back & reset
  • tap network settings reset>reset settings
  • tap again to confirm
  • restart and test

shegarty

Doesn't look like the hard reset of the texting app worked either ...

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

What app does she use for messaging?

Text or picture messages have issues or both?

Is there anything common about numbers who cannot receive it, or the opposite.

Can you test it on different phone or different app

shegarty

We've already tried the good old restart but it did not work. She has an old Acatel Idol 4.

@shegarty force close the text app and restart the phone. If its an Iphone enable group messaging. Welcome to the community.  Stay safe..

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@shegarty try restarting her phone. what's the make and model?

Need Help? Let's chat.