cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not receive text messages.

thuw
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am new to Public Mobile and I have activated my plan ( which is $15/month) and there are some problems with the text messages. Firstly, I can't send any text messages and I can only receive some text messages, not all of them. Does anyone know how to fix this?

30 REPLIES 30

@thuw wrote:

Thank you guys for helping me but I've tried it all and I dont think its Iphone false. I've just realized that I only received message from Public Mobile user and Telus user, but I can't send the message back to them anyway. Ugh I dont know what to do now 😭

@thuw  From what you described it sounds like there was a problem with your port. Try inserting your old provider's sim into your phone. Can you send/receive texts and calls? If yes, your port needs to be resubmitted buy opening up a ticket with PM by doing the following:

stpm-new.png

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@thuw wrote:

Thank you guys for helping me but I've tried it all and I dont think its Iphone false. I've just realized that I only received message from Public Mobile user and Telus user, but I can't send the message back to them anyway. Ugh I dont know what to do now 😭

Read this and then check your settings. 

@thuw  Don't give up... let @iPhoneUser help you. He is very knowledgeable. Maybe communicating by private message might be easier with an update when the issue is resolved?

thuw

@iPhoneUser  Thanks again for rescuing me...i might have to take you up on those lessons but not at bridges. My friend used go be the chef there and they have new owners. A conglomerate chain took over and it's not the same. May I suggest the blue martini on yew st for happy hour,  fat Tuesday pasta night or the Wednesday and Thursday early four course dinner special?  Great live music after 7pm. We could make it a double date with the wife and bf! Be forewarned while i am a good student i have a severe learning disability when it comes to language, any language....that includes things like algebra and computer. I might be getting a red hot deal with your tutoring only costing me dinner!

iPhoneUser

@darlicious wrote:

https://support.bell.ca/mobility/smartphones_and_mobile_internet/apple_iphone_4s.how_to_find_and_cha... @thuw After you update software, reboot and Make sure you are connected to the correct network : public mobile. You can reset your APN  here :  Click on above link

I hope I did that correctly...im a little out of my comfort zone be patient with my help!

Edit: Or not let me try to do the link again.

Ok free lunch at Bridges gets you URL linking lessons😀

Any iPhone should have most current iOS updates. Even a 4 or 4s as there was an update a few months ago for them for GPS. 

APN settings for PUBLIC MOBILE as per link may or may not be updatable on every model of iPhone but the first one in the link is updatable for sure. Often your iPhone will have one too many letters for the first update. So update all that you can. 

See this link. 

iPhoneUser

@darlicious wrote:

https://support.bell.ca/mobility/smartphones_and_mobile_internet/apple_iphone_4s.how_to_find_and_cha... @thuw After you update software, reboot and Make sure you are connected to the correct network : public mobile. You can reset your APN  here :  Click on above link

I hope I did that correctly...im a little out of my comfort zone be patient with my help!

Free lunch at Bridges gets you URL linking lessons. 😀😀

There was an iOS update for older phone a few months ago. So old or new make sure any available iOS updates are done. 

Then set up APN for Public Mobile

Here’s how to set up data in 3 steps:1) Tap:
  • Settings
  • Cellular
  • Cellular Data Network
2) Input this info:
  • APN: SP.MB.COM  <====look at this one carefully you may find one more letter that needs to be removed from your iPhone setting. I think it will show as ISP.MB.COM

2A) You might NOT be able to change or update or even see the next two.If not, nothing to worry about! 

•  

@DonForgo  All current pm plans have some data included in their plans so this is not the issue. I believe @iPhoneUser  has the correct solution and/or can supply the necessary steps once @thuw  responds to the post. Are you an iphone user as well? Always Good to know other members to call on to help others as those of us who are Android users are often in the dark when it comes to troubleshooting iPhones.

@stacy1  Hi there you have jumped in to another thread...if you go to the top of your screen in the self serve or phones and hardware section of the community and type in your problem in the ask a question bar and post you will start your own thread where you can get dedicated answers to help solve your issue. We can help here but it gets confusing to help two different users in the same thread.

DonForgo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I think this might also be relevant.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

It is important to deregister your iMessage if you are going on non-data plan. 

@iPhoneUser  Thx for saving my feeble attempts to help another iPhone user. Some of your previous assistance to me when helping @grumpyneighbour  set his phone up has been filed but isn't completely stored in my brain correctly yet so access can be problematic along with my well known copy and paste files being incomplete. Lol!

iPhoneUser

@geopublic wrote:

@thuw wrote:

I'm using my old number and its only happends when I send text messages, and I can still send Imess.

@thuw  Turn off iMessage and test it using regular sms.

Here is the answer above if is an iPhone. ⬆️

Here is what happens to me. I have not been a green bubble texter and always did the blue bubble iMessage and usually used an email address to message to. 

Now I have all that wonderful texting included. 

So using my iphone if I turn off my wifi and data, I can text out in a green bubble. BUT If I have texted an iPhone user......no answer back. Even if the iPhone does not have any of my emails or phone number that is set up for iMessage. So I come home and all the answers are on my iPad iMac and MacBook. So off to the Apple store and asked.....answer was, using iMessage you should have data on. So I only have 250mb and since I don’t do a lot of texting, I will turn on every now and then when I am expecting and answer. I guess that is a downfall for iPhone users and a blessing to the Telcos thanks to Apple🤪🤪 Because of the mix of how others contact me by phone number or email iMessage I don’t want to turn off iMessage. So free wifi and control the use of data will be the answer for me. I have had one successful experience in texting back and forth, in green bubble, texting  wth another iPhone. 

Does that help?

@thuw  It definitely  sounds like you need a software update via WiFi.Go into your settings to see if there is one offered. Once it updates your phone should reboot itself if it doesn't power off yourself and on again. I'll check the next step if any.... @iPhoneUser where are you when we need you? Your bat signal isn't working maybe @CalgaryBen  signal works?

DonForgo

Is your iPhone purchased yourself, or did you buy it second hand? 

it could potentially be black listed, and that could be why it isn't working, 

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/ 

put the IMEI in and see. 

stacy1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This is the second month in a row , and I can’t get phone calls or call anyone. 

Time for me to change !!!

@thuw  Did you just port your number in? You said you are using your old number? This could still be a porting issue. If not and your using an iphone you may need to to a software update in your settings then network? Let me see if @iPhoneUser  is available and will check my notes...

@thuw  Did you reset network settings?

thuw

Bo, I've tried and its still not working

thuw

Yes, I did that but it still the same

@thuw wrote:

I'm using my old number and its only happends when I send text messages, and I can still send Imess.

@thuw  Turn off iMessage and test it using regular sms.

thuw

@thuw wrote:

I'm using Iphone now, thanks by the way ☺️

@thuw  Make sure MMS and SMS are  enabled within your iMessage settings.

thuw

I'm using Iphone now, thanks by the way ☺️

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@thuw wrote:

I am new to Public Mobile and I have activated my plan ( which is $15/month) and there are some problems with the text messages. Firstly, I can't send any text messages and I can only receive some text messages, not all of them. Does anyone know how to fix this?

@thuw  If you have an android phone go into Apps and select the App that you use to send messages clear the cache and clear the data. Force stop the app and restart your phone. Try sending a text and see if it works.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

In the end, you can always talk with moderator. Click the "?" in lower right side of the page to talk with moderator and receive assistance. Type 'contact moderator" then follow directions. They get back to you in 1-3 hours regarding your issue.

waternlava

Make sure your APN is properly set up.

Visit this for more info:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/How-do-I-set-up-data-APN-on-my-smartp...

Good Luck!

@darlicious wrote:

@thuw  @Dunkgirl  is asking some great questions to narrow down your issue. If you have incoming calls....have you tried rebooting your phone to begin with...if the problem still persists check the settings for SMS and MMS texting first....we can narrow down the issue from there.

If I had to be a sleuth here, I would guess that the problem might involve APN settings which could explain how some text (SMS only) are being received.  It could be a porting issue as Telus and family customers would be able to successfully send text to the recipient in some situations. Unable to send suggest some kind of problem with the app.  Perhaps clearing app cache and restarting might help.

@thuw  @Dunkgirl  is asking some great questions to narrow down your issue. If you have incoming calls....have you tried rebooting your phone to begin with...if the problem still persists check the settings for SMS and MMS texting first....we can narrow down the issue from there.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@thuw wrote:

@thuwWhen activating did you choose a new number or port in your old number? What about phone calls, are you having a similar issue where only some phone calls come in? What kind of phone are you using, is it Apple or Andriod? Are your messages being sent as MMS or standard text message? If it is an Apple, are you trying to use Imessage? Have you configured your APN MMS settings?

Need Help? Let's chat.