cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I send/receive text in the $20 provincial-wide talk plan?

tim_zhao_tim
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I just got Public Mobile's $20 provincial-wide talk plan. The web site is not very clear on whether this plan entitles me to send and/or receive text.  Does anyone know that?

If it entitles me, then what is the restrictions and limitations, like whether it is the provincial-wide or Canada-wide or International send/receive text?

Thanks,

11 REPLIES 11

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just thought I'd clear this up since there seems to be a lot of wrong info in this thread about texting on the Lucky Mobile $20 provincial-wide talk plan. Since that was the plan that I used to have, I can assure you that you can receive all incoming texts on that plan free of charge, but you just cannot send any outgoing texts on that plan. You can purchase what they call a "service pass" for either $3 or $5 to add outgoing texting to your plan, but the passes will expire after 30 days and are not unlimited.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@santi044 wrote:

Lucky Mobile has texting inlcuded on their $20 plan with 250mb autopay bonus.  I'd rather stick with Public and get the $2 off a month.  Does anyone know if there are any plans to include texting to Public's $20 plan to compete with Lucky?  This would be perfect for parents or students who don't need data.

Or if your focus is on texting then there's the $15 plan with all the texting you can eat. All the incoming you could want. 100 minutes calling out. And even throw in 250mb of data for laughs. All for the princely sum of $13 net.

@

@santi044 wrote:

Lucky Mobile has texting inlcuded on their $20 plan with 250mb autopay bonus.  I'd rather stick with Public and get the $2 off a month.  Does anyone know if there are any plans to include texting to Public's $20 plan to compete with Lucky?  This would be perfect for parents or students who don't need data.

@santi044  That plan only includes incoming texts. The best choice IMHO  for you to consider  would be to pay $3.00 extra and get the PM $25.00 plan includes Unlimited Canada wide calling & unlimited international texts plus 1GB data.

santi044
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Lucky 20.JPG

@tim_zhao_tim wrote:

Just curious what will happen if other people do attempt to send a text to me.  What will they see on their phone screen, and what will I see on my phone screen?

For the sender a text will just end up in Nirwana, if they have delivery reports on they might be notified by their phone that the message failed to deliver or just indicating "sent" instead of "delivered" (depending on phone, OS and app)

Since your account has the messaging function deactivated you don't see anything text related on your screen?

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@tim_zhao_tim wrote:

Hi, I just got Public Mobile's $20 provincial-wide talk plan. The web site is not very clear on whether this plan entitles me to send and/or receive text.  Does anyone know that?

If it entitles me, then what is the restrictions and limitations, like whether it is the provincial-wide or Canada-wide or International send/receive text?

Thanks,

@tim_zhao_tim wrote:

Thanks,

Screenshot_2019-01-02 $20 for unlimited talk.png

Looks clear to me? No texts, neither outgoing nor incoming (exept notifications from Public Mobile).

Since Public Mobile does NOT offer pay as you go rates your options are going for the $25 provincial talk and international texts (sent from Canada). Or, if you only text occasionally and are not a talk superuser, you could also opt for the $10 50minutes/50text option and complement it with LD minute add-ons as needed (the add-on minutes don't expire until used up). There is no text add-on.

If you make a plan change keep in mind that an immediate plan change forfeits any remaining parts of your existing plan without refunds. Future dated plan changes are the way to avoid that - the system will change to the new plan on your renewal date.

Since you've just signed up (I assume, based on your wording?) you can try your luck and ask the moderator team (= Public Mobile customer service) for help with a change without being hit with the full charge. They don't have an obligation to do so, but have done so as a goodwill gesture in the past.

Use this link to send a private message to the @Moderator_Team, but be aware that current reply times are in the range of 48 - 72hours.

More information on contacting the mods: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

tim_zhao_tim

Just curious what will happen if other people do attempt to send a text to me.  What will they see on their phone screen, and what will I see on my phone screen?

@tim_zhao_tim wrote:

So you mean I cannot send text AND I cannot receive text?

No but for $5 more you will have unlimited Province wide calling and unlimited international texting

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

No texting at all ...send or recieve.

tim_zhao_tim

So you mean I cannot send text AND I cannot receive text?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

You can make as many calls as you want within the province that you're currently in.  Calls outside of your current province or country won't go through. You have no texting or data.
 You can purchase an add-on for $8 that will give you 200 minutes of Canada and US calling or $15 for 400 minutes of Canada and (limited) International calling. Have a look through the Add-on section for a complete menu of options.

Need Help? Let's chat.