cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I receive international calls or texts from outside of the 18 listed countries?

linivan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, under the province-wide plan, if I am in my home province, will I receive the texts or calls from countries that are not listed as one of the 10 countries? (For example, will I receive texts or calls from Taiwan?)

If I buy one of the international add-ons, will then I be able to receive as well as call phone numbers in Taiwan?

Thanks so much for your help.

Ivan.

15 REPLIES 15

trooperp3a
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you very much. This is very helpful.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@trooperp3a that's the beauty of WhatsApp is that it's available on both Android and iPhone and can work just fine over WiFi.  It's a much better instant messaging experience than texting and much more convenient especially when travelling. Other options you could consider include Facebook Messenger, Skype, Hangouts, WeChat, Line, and dozens of others.  But WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger are incredibly popular and you will likely find most of your contacts between the two -- unless you contact people in China behind the goverment firewall, in which case WeChat should also be in your toolbox.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

trooperp3a

Thanks again. I think I will try whatsApp, but will do some research on Fongo as well.

trooperp3a

Thank you. I will try WhatsApp. Sounds like a workable solution. She will be able to call as well as text, and the fact that she has an iphone and I have an android phone doesn't matter?

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@trooperp3a

Never used them myself..but hear alot about fongo...think there is a small fee not sure...textfree ive also head about...im sure youll get a few more suggestion shortly..

@trooperp3a wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I think the sim card setup will be too complicated for her. Also need to purchase a plan which likely means leaving the resort to visit a digicell store. She does however have wifi available on the resort. I wonder if a third party texting app will work?

I like WhatsApp for situations like this - works perfectly on WiFi.

There are plenty of other similar apps out there, just choose what works for you and set it up before she leaves.

trooperp3a

Thank you for the reply. I think the sim card setup will be too complicated for her. Also need to purchase a plan which likely means leaving the resort to visit a digicell store. She does however have wifi available on the resort. I wonder if a third party texting app will work?

Carld123

@trooperp3a

Your wife will need a different setup..like a sim card from jamaica..or a  text app and wifi service..

trooperp3a

Here's my question. Both my wife and I are on the Public Mobile network. She is going to Jamaica this winter with friends. I am staying here in Canada. Will we be able to text back and forth?

linivan

Thank you for the quick reply! 🙂

JaK

Hi @linivan, see inline:

@linivan wrote:

Thank you so much Jak and nishufan for taking the time to answer my questions. I am glad that I will be able to receive calls and texts when I am in the home province.

Oh I got a few more scenarios:

Let's say Ontario is my home province.

If I travel to let's say B.C., can I still get and send texts globally?

- Yes

If I travel to let's say B.C., can I still receive calls from Taiwan if I have long distance add on (even though Taiwan is not one of the 18 countries)

- Yes

If I travel to the U.S., can I still get and send texts globally

- No, as PM does not offer roaming, yet. There has been an announcement that PM is working on adding a US roaming add-on in Nov, expect that would include text, but no details yet.

I know if I travel to U.S. both incoming and out going calls won't work/

- Correct, neither will text or data (see roaming add-on comment).

Thanks again,

Ivan.

linivan

Thank you so much Jak and nishufan for taking the time to answer my questions. I am glad that I will be able to receive calls and texts when I am in the home province.

Oh I got a few more scenarios:

Let's say Ontario is my home province.

If I travel to let's say B.C., can I still get and send texts globally?

If I travel to let's say B.C., can I still receive calls from Taiwan if I have long distance add on (even though Taiwan is not one of the 18 countries)

If I travel to the U.S., can I still get and send texts globally?

I know if I travel to U.S. both incoming and out going calls won't work/

Thanks again,

Ivan.

JaK

Hi @linivan;

If you are on a provincial plan in your home province, there is no restriction on receiving call or texts from anywhere in the world (including Taiwan).

If you have global testing (which is the default now), you can send texts anywhere.

Unfortunately, Taiwan is not within the 18 countries supported for international calling, so you cannot call number in Taiwan even with the LD add-on.

Here is a link to the supported countries: http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Calling-an-international-phone-number/m-...

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi @linivan

You can receive any call from anywhere when you in your province. If you need to make a call outside your province, you need to buy a long distance call add-on. The 400 mins international add-on is what you need to make a call to that 18 listed countries. However, the international add-on only works in Canada so that you can't receive any call when you in Taiwan. PM doesn't have roaming services in this time.

Need Help? Let's chat.