cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I receive calls from other country?

Stussyjoo8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have the $30 plan which have unlimited canada call, unlimited text and some data.

Anyway can I recieve calls from countries like US, Japan, Korea?

8 REPLIES 8

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@RobertQc oh, yeah I was thinking in the OS settings, but you're right there is an MMS-specific roaming setting inside Android Messages settings.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@RobertQc wrote:

@srlawren@Lag333For even further clarification, in order to receive free texts while in USA without a roaming addon, you still need to first connect to a roaming provider / partner network (tmobile/at&t) and make sure the settings in the phone do not restrict the usage while roaming

@RobertQc I've only ever seen a restriction on roaming data on my phones, never for roaming texts.  But your mileage may vary.

@srlawrenI have for MMS quite often but I think some versions include SMS. Also 3rd party apps, and custom roms. But I can't come up with everything thats why I say to simply make sure you don't have something restricting it. I like your YMMV comment, I need to use that more often.

Here is one of the cases it lists auto-retreive under SMS/MMS, not specifically MMS.

Up for debate of course what this setting does, but SMS and MMS are both "messages"

4070918-f-0050fd81-a3dc-4589-b92b-68ca6cf44674.png

srlawren

@RobertQc wrote:

@srlawren@Lag333For even further clarification, in order to receive free texts while in USA without a roaming addon, you still need to first connect to a roaming provider / partner network (tmobile/at&t) and make sure the settings in the phone do not restrict the usage while roaming

@RobertQc I've only ever seen a restriction on roaming data on my phones, never for roaming texts.  But your mileage may vary.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@Lag333 wrote:

Like others said, you can receive calls from anywhere while you are inside Canada. Once you leave Canada, I'm almost sure you cannot receive calls because you will be roaming. PM only lets you roam in the US with a dedicated roaming plan. When I went to the US without a roaming plan, nothing worked. 

@Lag333 just a couple of small clarifications:  roaming isn't part of a plan, it's one or more add-on(s) which are purchased independently from the plan.  See here for more details:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/U-S-Roaming/ta-p/307883 .  The other clarification is that without buying any US Roaming add-on(s), you can actually still receive texts while in the USA.  But that's all (and you can't respond to them).

srlawren

@Lag333 wrote:

Like others said, you can receive calls from anywhere while you are inside Canada. Once you leave Canada, I'm almost sure you cannot receive calls because you will be roaming. PM only lets you roam in the US with a dedicated roaming plan. When I went to the US without a roaming plan, nothing worked. 

@Lag333 just a couple of small clarifications:  roaming isn't part of a plan, it's one or more add-on(s) which are purchased independently from the plan.  See here for more details:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/U-S-Roaming/ta-p/307883 .  The other clarification is that without buying any US Roaming add-on(s), you can actually still receive texts while in the USA.  But that's all (and you can't respond to them).

@RobertQc wrote:

@Stussyjoo8 wrote:

I have the $30 plan which have unlimited canada call, unlimited text and some data.

@Stussyjoo8You can accept calls FROM anyone and anywhere.

As long as the caller has the ability to call you, you can accept any calls from anywhere.

@Stussyjoo8Right. All things equal. As @Lag333 has mentioned stipulations- this is while your phone is working, not on the blacklist, your account is active, your sim card is in the phone, your sim card is working, the world has not ended, you did not block their number, you are on the public mobile network, you have reception, your phone is turned on, etc

@Lag333 wrote:

Lag333
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Stussyjoo8 wrote:

@Stussyjoo8You can accept calls FROM anyone and anywhere.

As long as the caller has the ability to call you, you can accept any calls from anywhere.

Need Help? Let's chat.