cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I keep my phone number with a minimum monthly payment?

Jackyang10
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'm leaving Canada for months and won't need the phone service during these months.

So is there an option/plan that I could just pay a minimum fee to keep my phone number? 

Thanks in advance. 

6 REPLIES 6

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Jackyang10 

If you pay$25 to fongo once you can keep your phone number for life, you never have to pay for it a single cent. If you wish you can use it in another country with WiFi or local data, you can still receive your calls and texts while away. Calling to Canada is free.

When you come back you can get a new number with public mobile and forward your calls from your old number to any cell you use in Canada for free. You can also use it with your data/WiFi on your smartphone.

You also have the option to port it back to public mobile

But if you want to keep your loyalty and referrals than you better keep your public mobile account and don't port out

spockrant
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you're leaving the country for a while and don't want to worry about missing a 90 day deadline, switch your carrier to someone offering a "pay-as-you-go" option.  Many will allow you to transfer over your number without any issue.  You buy the cheapest prepaid card you can, then shut the phone off for your vacation.  When you get back, your phone works immediately (since it still has the pay as you go card), then you can sign back up with Public at your convenience.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Jackyang10 wrote:

I'm leaving Canada for months and won't need the phone service during these months.

So is there an option/plan that I could just pay a minimum fee to keep my phone number? 

Thanks in advance. 

PM does not offer vacation hold like Koodo and Telus.  Even with vacation hold, Koodo still charges $15/m.  Telus charges $30/m to hold your phone number until to come back from holiday.

Your options:

1.  Switch to the cheapest plan $15/30 days.  $13 with autopay reward.  Your cost will be less with other rewards discount like loyalty or refer-a-friend.  Your cost per 30 days with be less the $15.

2.  You can disable autopay and let your account expired/suspended on your next renewal date.  You can reactivate your account on the 89 days and continue with your plan.  90 days after suspension, your account will be canceled and your phone number will be return to the provider who gave you your phone number.

For me, I will use the option 1 when I am on a long long vacation.  I do not want to remember when to pay on the 89th day and risking losing my phone number if I have too much fun and forget to renew on the 89th day.  What if I cannot find a Internet connection at the place I am travelling on the 89th day.   But it is your life style choice.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

How long you going to still be in Canada? Whens your next payment due date?.

If you still will be in Canada after your next payment due date.

I suggest you go into your account now and select the $15 plan and select "Change at next renewal".

At your payment due date you will be charged $15..

Then remove your autoplay if you have autopay. Better to remove your card all together. click payment then bottom left manage my card to remove it.

Then next payment due date while you're already in whatever country you're going to. The account will go into suspended status since you didn't pay it.

90 days of an account not being active and remains in suspended state then the account is deleted and closed.

So set a reminder for like 84 days from the day it went suspended to log into your account and make a $15 payment. Then once account is active at next payment due date it will go suspended again and you have another 90 days before the account is deleted and closed.

Make sense?

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

Not with Public Mobile BUT you can let it suspend for up to 90 days, then renew for 30 days at $15 just before it is fully terminated. Then when that 30 days are up it can suspend for another 90 days. So that keeps your cost to $15 for 120 days, repeat as necessary.

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.