cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I extend the koodo deal? I don't have proper photo I'd.

hyu1337
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I tried switching today but I only have a health card. Ibdont have a drivers license and I'm waiting for my passport to come in. Is it possible it can be extended or I can talk to someone that can help me switch?

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@hyu1337 yeah I ran into that as well.  Try dialing it from a landline or a friend's phone that isn't on PM.  It will go to Koodo.  OR, actually, another workaround is to download Hangouts Dialer or Fongo or other VoIP app from Play Store/App Store and use that to place the call. It will go over your data or WiFi and won't get routed to PM.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@will13amwrote:

I have done activations at stores and consistently I was asked to provide 2 pieces of ID, one with address information that will be entered in the system for account set up.  The preferred ID for address check is the drivers license.  Online, the same information is requested.  Drivers license is the preferred ID.  I am not sure what happens if you say no drivers license.  I have one and so I entered it into the system.

With respect to deadline extension I would imagine that is an uphill battle.  The deadline was give a month ago and there has been no indication that it would change.  I would check with customer service on a priority basis to see if they can make an exception.  Get it in writing if they do extend the offer on an exception basis.

When it comes to driver's license, yes, it is absolutely the prefered piece of identification because of it being unversally recognized as being the most common.  With that said, it is entirely possible to do activate postpaid cellular service without one.

As I was saying, Telus used to have "photo health card seen" as an acceptable form of identification (and that option might still be available to Telus and Koodo sales people when activating at retail).    You also won't have any problem activating if having a provincial photo identification card, native status card that has a picture, or a Canadian passport (and probably a few others things that can be used).  From when I've activated in the past as a postpaid customer, the second piece of identification is almost always preferably linked to your credit history, whether it is a credit card or your social insurance number, although I'm sure some people may not want to give that information out.

When activating online at Koodo, you must provide a credit card.  Koodo then asks for your drivers license number, but if you don't have one, the only other thing it will accept is your social insurance number. 

To the Original Poster of this thread, sorry, but I highly doubt that extension will be granted for your case.  Provincial or federal photo identification would takes weeks to arrive.  Furthermore, as I was saying, photo identification isn't necessary to sign up. You can just do it online if you aren't having any luck at the retail level (although I'm almost certain that it can be done with photo healtth card unless they've changed that since I've last activated as a customer a bunch of years ago like that).

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have done activations at stores and consistently I was asked to provide 2 pieces of ID, one with address information that will be entered in the system for account set up.  The preferred ID for address check is the drivers license.  Online, the same information is requested.  Drivers license is the preferred ID.  I am not sure what happens if you say no drivers license.  I have one and so I entered it into the system.

With respect to deadline extension I would imagine that is an uphill battle.  The deadline was give a month ago and there has been no indication that it would change.  I would check with customer service on a priority basis to see if they can make an exception.  Get it in writing if they do extend the offer on an exception basis.

@hyu1337wrote:

I tried switching today but I only have a health card. Ibdont have a drivers license and I'm waiting for my passport to come in. Is it possible it can be extended or I can talk to someone that can help me switch?

To my knowledge, Telus (and other Telus brands) have never required "proper" photo ID.   In the past, Telus has used photo health cards to verify identity.  At least with Telus Mobility, they used to have a checkbox that something along the the lines of "photo health card seen".  They could not ask to see this and not record your health card number, but checking off that box was considered acceptable if you showed something else such as credit card and/or SIN.  However, i am uncertain if Telus brands still allow this.

Additionally, you do not need to photo identification to ordrer this plan online.  In absense of a driver's license, you would need to provide SIN and credit card.  The way they check if it's really you is by shipping only to the same address that your bank has om file.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

if you order the sim online they do not ask for photo id.  just chect the part that says i want to port my number.

hyu1337
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The koodo number leads to public mobile,  there is no operator. Its why I'm posting here.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

You must talk to Koodo; call their customer service line.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.