cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I call my mom's public mobile cell phone from the US?

nylcaj
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello! 

My mother has a public mobile cell phone. Her plan has unlimited provincial talk (New Brunswick) with unlimited international text (as I live in the US).

My mother will be in Nova Scotia this weekend. Will I still be able to call her phone from the US while she is in Nova Scotia? Or will this not be allowed since she is outside of her "home" province? If not allowed, which add-on do we need?

Thank you for your help! 

Jaclyn

13 REPLIES 13

@Emmasmom wrote:

You can call but if it’s a US number you will need long distance. 

The OP is calling from and lives in the U.S. Sure, calling form the U.S. to any Canadian phone number is long distance, but I'm srue that @nylcaj already is aware of that.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I assumed if Mom is on an old plan and had unlimited provincial talk (New Brunswick) that the phone would only do outbound in New Brunswick and no other province. I don’t get it🥴. But it is ok...I don’t need to. 

Further to what @will13am  was saying, the city and province of the phone number making the outgoing calls doesn't actually make any difference.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@nylcaj  Yes, you will still be able to call her from the US without any issues.

Thanks.  

@LurganIeUk wrote:

I assumed if Mom is on an old plan and had unlimited provincial talk (New Brunswick) that the phone would only do outbound in New Brunswick and no other province. I don’t get it🥴. But it is ok...I don’t need to. 

I have to correct you on this one.  I have an old province wide calling plan.  The way these plans work is that the "home province roams" with you.  That means you can make calls to the province that you are in without the need of long distance add-on minutes.  There are no issues with receiving calls as it is the caller that worries about long distance charges, if applicable.  

@LurganIeUk wrote:

She (Mom) can do outbound calls while in  Nova Scotia??

With the PM province wide calling option...you can travel to a different province and call in that province only without an add-on. Folks in your home province will pay long distance charges to call you though

Emmasmom
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You can call but if it’s a US number you will need long distance. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@nylcaj wrote:

Hello! 

My mother has a public mobile cell phone. Her plan has unlimited provincial talk (New Brunswick) with unlimited international text (as I live in the US).

My mother will be in Nova Scotia this weekend. Will I still be able to call her phone from the US while she is in Nova Scotia? Or will this not be allowed since she is outside of her "home" province? If not allowed, which add-on do we need?

Thank you for your help! 

Jaclyn

It matters not where Mom is in Canada. She's able to receive calls from anywhere on the old mudball, as long as she's in Canada with her active plan. No need for any add-ons. The caller is the one who could/will incur any costs.

She (Mom) can do outbound calls while in  Nova Scotia??

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

@nylcaj 

If the usa/international caller can call Canada they can call her as long as you are on Telus network

If she travel to usa you need roaming

@LurganIeUk  She does not need extra minutes

It's valid in any province that she is at the moment

She can only call in that province though so calls to home will be long distance

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Should Mom consider a $5 500 minute Canada wide add on? Or 2?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Calls can be received from anywhere while in Canada.

Need Help? Let's chat.