cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls while in America to Canada

Gagliano
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there

I will be in the USA for one month and be making approximately 3 hours of calls per week to Canadian numbers for 4 weeks. I do not need text and data. What is the best way to do this? Is it just the $8/ 10 day add on times 3 cycles of it?

12 REPLIES 12

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Gagliano wrote:

Hi there

I will be in the USA for one month and be making approximately 3 hours of calls per week to Canadian numbers for 4 weeks. I do not need text and data. What is the best way to do this? Is it just the $8/ 10 day add on times 3 cycles of it?

I would suggest you grab a SIM card while you are down there....

You can score some Data with unlimited calling for $35-$40 a month easy in the U.S..... it's just easier.

Happy Travels!!

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Gagliano wrote:

Hi there

I wonder if you'd be better off getting a local SIM with the included calling to Canada while you're there.  as you're looking at 30 days, you'll have to repurchase add-ons for roaming on day 1, 11, and 21.

Even look at the MVNO Ting.com for this.  It's a pay as you go service.  They have calls to Canada included in their 'talk' minutes.  It's a build your own plan type of service.

@Luddite wrote:

@geopublic You sugggested, ¨notify Public Mobile Team before leaving that you want the other two US roaming talk add-ons to be purchase/activated from your available funds  automatically when the first add-on expires¨.

I have not attempted your suggestion but am almost certain the the moderators WIILL NOT process a request to activate US Roaming add-ons from Available Funds in the future.

@Luddite  I have not tried it either. I was just going by what was in the Knowledge Base article and also remember reading it in an older post.

Below are some important things you should know about U.S. Roaming Add-Ons:
We’ve partnered with AT&T and T-Mobile to provide you with fantastic coverage. Your U.S. coverage will include all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. For more details, check out our coverage map here.
10 days after you purchase a U.S. Roaming Add-On, it will automatically expire.
If you want to purchase two of the same U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, you will have to wait for the first 10-day period to expire before buying the second, or you can contact a Moderator.
If you purchase 2 different U.S. Roaming Add-Ons, they will expire separately.
For example:
You purchase a U.S Roaming Talk, Text, Data Add-On on Day 1 of your plan. It will expire on Day 10.
On Day 6 of your plan, you purchase a 1 GB U.S. Roaming Data Add-On. It will expire on Day 15.
When you’re roaming, you can still access the internet with a Wi-Fi connection, which won’t deplete your data Add-On.

@geopublic You sugggested, ¨notify Public Mobile Team before leaving that you want the other two US roaming talk add-ons to be purchase/activated from your available funds  automatically when the first add-on expires¨.

I have not attempted your suggestion but am almost certain the the moderators WIILL NOT process a request to activate US Roaming add-ons from Available Funds in the future.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Gagliano wrote:

I seem to only get  unltd talk OR unltd text for $8, not together for that price. Is that a glitch?

@Gagliano not a glitch... you can have either for $8 individually, or as @Anonymous mentioned, if you want both there is a bundle over on the right for $15 (save $1 over buying them individually).  For $5 more than that there is another bundle that also gives you up to 250MB of data to use while you're in the USA during those same 10 days.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You said you wanted talk only. There are the bundles on the right side if you're interested in more.

Gagliano
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I seem to only get  unltd talk OR unltd text for $8, not together for that price. Is that a glitch?Capture.PNG

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Gagliano wrote:

Hi there

@GaglianoJust before you leave purchase the first add-on and add the funds to you account for the next two add-ons that you will requre for the 30 days.

Click here and notify Public Mobile Team before leaving that you want the other two US roaming talk add-ons to be purchase/activated from your available funds  automatically when the first add-on expires while you are still in the US.

A good reference for US Roaming Add-on can be found here.

Hope this helps!!

sunflowershine
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Gagliano wrote:

Hi there

@Gagliano You can download a free calling app such as TextNow. As long as you have wifi, you can call any phone number within North America for FREE.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Gagliano wrote:

Hi there

There are 3 different US Roaming Add-ons that include calling. As long as you select a different Add-on on day 10, you should be good. Problems seem to crop up if you select the identical plan right away. On day 20, you can again select the Calling only plan.

Good luck.

jotsang
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Gagliano wrote:

Hi there

If you have wifi access while you are in US, you can download and use Google Hangouts to call to Canadian numbers free.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Gagliano Yes to pretty much what you are planning. There will be days where you will not be able to purchase the same add-on again near the 10 days mark even through you are not able to make any calls. This is due to the system glitch where the add-on does not fully expire. Just wait until the next day or so to buy the same add-on again.

Need Help? Let's chat.