cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls dropping in US on roaming plan

harveyg
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Been in US for 6 weeks and still having problems with addons. New problem started yesterday with phone calls dropping after about 15 seconds. The phone beeps a few times and then drops the call. Been dealing with problems for 6 weeks so when is this going to get fixed. I keep hoping with all the down time for maintenance that this would end.

25 REPLIES 25

karagaty
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks ....I don't want hang in I paid money for service that didn't work and I lost important calls from my work because of this useless service .

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@karagaty wrote:

No i didn't get listed more than one and i did private messages the team and still have the problem and this is worst service ever i didnt do my job becous of the  calls dropping 

@karagaty  unfortunately at this point you'll have to hang in there until the moderators can help.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

karagaty

No i didn't get listed more than one and i did private messages the team and still have the problem and this is worst service ever i didnt do my job becous of the  calls dropping 

karagaty

I did the authentication 

srlawren

@karagaty wrote:

I bought the $20 plan to the US and when I travled the data is working  but unfortunately all the calls dropped after 50 sec

@karagaty if you sign into your self-serve account and look at the Plans and Add-ons page, do you see "US Roaming Talk" listed more than once?  That is the usual cause of the < 1 min disconnect issue.  When you add this add-on more than once (such as purchasing it within the $20 bundle you're talking about and also purchasing the $8 US Roaming Talk add-on, or purchasing the bundle twice) you will get this issue. If this is your case, you will need to private message the moderator team and ask them to remove one of the add-ons.  You can learn how to private message them here:  How to Get Help.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

karagaty

I bought the $20 plan to the US and when I travled the data is working  but unfortunately all the calls dropped after 50 sec

srlawren

@heatheredmund like @mimmo said, the problem is you purchased the US Roaming Talk ($8) add-on twice:  once on it's own and once as part of the US Roaming Talk + Text bundle ($15).  You will need to contact the moderator team for assistance.  Unfortunately, they have been extremely backlogged lately so please try to be patient.

EDIT: while you wait to hear back--if you have mobile data working and/or access to Wi-Fi, you can always make calls to US and Canadian phone number for free over data using Hangouts Dialer for Android or Hangouts for iPhone.  If you have access to incoming text, you can even have Hangouts/Dialer verify your PM phone number by sending you a code over SMS, and then have it use your regular PM phone number for outbound caller ID so your friends and family won't even notice the different.  More details here.

mimmo

@heatheredmund @I think this is a common occurance when you have multiple of the same or similar add-ons

You will need to reach out to the mods.

Also typically best to start your own thread.

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Some good posts/reads:

• Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-") to find some great posts and answers to many common questions

heatheredmund

My calls drop after 55 seconds of making or recieving a call while roaming in the USA. 

Current Add-Ons
  • 200 min US and Canada Long Distance - $8.00
  • US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day) - $20.00
  • US Roaming - Unlimited Talk (10-day) - $8.00
  • US Roaming - Unlimited Talk (10-day) - Free
  • US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day) - Free

Can I get a reimbusement for my purchase?

heatheredmund

My calls drop after 55 seconds of making or recieving a call while roaming in the USA. 

Current Add-Ons
  • 200 min US and Canada Long Distance - $8.00
  • US Roaming - 1 GB Data (10-day) - $20.00
  • US Roaming - Unlimited Talk (10-day) - $8.00
  • US Roaming - Unlimited Talk (10-day) - Free
  • US Roaming - Unlimited Text (10-day) - Free

Can I get a reimbusement for my purchase?

AlanBall

On friday a moderator contacted me and asked for my pin number.  I sent it aff to him and never heard back phone is still dropping calls and someone out there has my pin, starting to think moving from telus was the wrong move

Ok good to hear. Thanks for the heads up 🙂

srlawren

@JL9 wrote:

Is this the exception or the norm, I haven't heard of this issue before, when it comes to US roaming here.

@JL9 I believe it's the norm, that adding the same US roaming add on more than once will cause issues.  You likely haven't seen it before because it's relatively rare that someone will buy both one of the bundles plus one of the individual services that's included in the bundle.  Logically, there's really no reason to do this, but it does come up from time to time if someone is having trouble getting the bundle to work they might out of desperation try purchasing the individual service they really need to work the most to see if they can get it working.  Unfortunately, this causes more problems than it resolves.

Is this the exception or the norm, I haven't heard of this issue before, when it comes to US roaming here.

srlawren

@AlanBall wrote:

I called *611 and added the us roaming calls for 8 dollars and recieved the voice message that it was successful.  went to make a call after entering the us and got the message that I didnt have a roaming plan, tried adding it again and got the message that it was successful.  sit would not make a call so tried to add the top plan for 20 bucks this was not successfull but not I can make calls as long as they only last 30 seconds or so then they are dropped.  When I go to my account online it says I have added the top plan.  Help

@AlanBall wow yeah adding the same add-on more than once at a time unfortunately leads to weird behaviour.  I think the 30 second calls is one of them if I remember correctly.  You need to reach out to the moderator team via private message to get help.  Please see below for the details.

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during office hours, in the order in which they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

How can I view my private messages between myself and a Community Moderator?

AlanBall

I called *611 and added the us roaming calls for 8 dollars and recieved the voice message that it was successful.  went to make a call after entering the us and got the message that I didnt have a roaming plan, tried adding it again and got the message that it was successful.  sit would not make a call so tried to add the top plan for 20 bucks this was not successfull but not I can make calls as long as they only last 30 seconds or so then they are dropped.  When I go to my account online it says I have added the top plan.  Help

@rmr As noted earlier in this thread, you will need moderator assistance. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your phone number, account PIN, and an explanation. Moderator hours are: Monday - Friday 9AM (ET) - 9PM (ET); Saturday - Sunday 9AM (ET) - 7:00PM (ET)

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

rmr

I've been having the same dropped calls problems.  I've been in the U.S. for 12 weeks and now I can't make a call for more than a minute.  I need help with this right away.  

srlawren

@lizdickin for future reference, try not to add talk or text US roaming more than once at a time.  I'm guessing you already had US Roaming talk active and added the US Roaming talk+text+data bundle?  Unfortunately that does seem to cause the issue you've reported, based on past community experience.  As @Luddite suggested, please private message the moderator team and ask them to remove the duplicate US Roaming Talk add-on, and the issue will resolve.

@lizdickin Unfortunately you will need moderator assistance. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with your phone number and an explanation. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

lizdickin

Hi,

I am having a similar problem.  I added a second roaming package on my phone, the one that includes data while the other one was still active and now my calls drop after about 30 seconds. My calls were fine before I added the second plan.

srlawren

@Daveim please send the @CS_Agent a private message using this link.  Include your phone number and a description of the issue.  They should be able to help.

Daveim

I am having the same problem with calls dropping after a few seconds

srlawren

@harveyg I know this doesn't help you at the moment and I hope @Shazia_K can resolve that for your soon.  I just thought I should mention if you're in the US for longer lengths of time such as 6 weeks, there are way more economical ways to get service than using the PM roaming.  PM's roaming is great for 4-10 day trips and okay for 1-20 day trips maybe but for longer there are other options.  Roam Mobility for example offers a snowbird plan that might fit the bill for longer durations.  You can workaround the phone number issue by forwarding your inbound calls to a free Fongo data-based phone number before leaving Canada and receiving your calls over a data connection.  You could do similarly with a pre-paid SIM card from any of a number of US providers such as AT&T or T-Mobile, or their smaller virtual network resellers.  Let us know if you'd like more details.

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @harveyg

I'm truly sorry to hear about this, 

This definitely sounds like an issue which needs to be looked into, can I ask you to please private message me with your Public Mobile phone number? 

Thanks, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.
Need Help? Let's chat.