cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Calling international without pre-pay add on

I'm trying to make a quick call to the USA and after I dial, I get a message saying I don't have an active long distance add on.

Is this an error, or am I unable to call internationally without pre-purchasing minutes?! 

Oracle

Re: Calling international without pre-pay add on


@butts-ahoy wrote:

I'm trying to make a quick call to the USA and after I dial, I get a message saying I don't have an active long distance add on.

Is this an error, or am I unable to call internationally without pre-purchasing minutes?! 


It isn't an error.  PM is a fully prepaid service.  You will need to purchase a long distance addon.  $8 for 200 minutes or $15 for 400 minutes.  These addons do not expire they are active until fully consumed


* I am happy to help, but I am not a MOD please do not include any personal info in a private message to me, click here to private message a Moderator *
Mayor / Maire

Re: Calling international without pre-pay add on

@butts-ahoy [amusing name aside,] you're far from the first and unfortunately will definitely not be the last to assume based on past experience with other providers that PM would offer pay-per-use services outside of what is included in your plan.  With Public Mobile, literally you get exactly what you pay up front for and nothing else--there is no pay-per-use billing here.  The long distance add-ons @ShawnC13 mentioned are available, or if it's only for occasional use you could consider using a VoIP app with free calling to the USA, such as Hangouts, Fongo, or I believe even Skype has free calling to the USA.  Or you can always pick up a pre-paid calling card from your local grocery/convenience store like people have used with landlines in the past to make long distance calls at a reasonable per-min rate.


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: Calling international without pre-pay add on

Seriously?! Given that plans push unlimited international texting as a key feature, it's pretty confusing that international calling is straight up blocked unless you prepurchase minutes.

 

I checked the website again and can find no mention of that at all, super disapointing. If that was mentioned at all I'd probably have shrugged it off and planned around it, but that's pretty trust breaking. Curious what else I'll discover what else they weren't up front about.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Calling international without pre-pay add on

All those points you make out as negative, I see as positives

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Calling international without pre-pay add on

well unless you signed up for the $50 plan with unlimited calling to the US and Canada, you will have to buy minutes to call to the US

Mayor / Maire

Re: Calling international without pre-pay add on


@butts-ahoy wrote:

Seriously?! Given that plans push unlimited international texting as a key feature, it's pretty confusing that international calling is straight up blocked unless you prepurchase minutes.

 

I checked the website again and can find no mention of that at all, super disapointing. If that was mentioned at all I'd probably have shrugged it off and planned around it, but that's pretty trust breaking. Curious what else I'll discover what else they weren't up front about.


@butts-ahoy yeah it's not super easy to find but it is covered by this Knowledge Base article here in the community: Plans & Add-Ons.  Have a look specifically at the table under the organge heading "Long Distance and U.S. Roaming Add-Ons".  I'm not sure which Talk option you have in your plan, but your situation probably falls into the area I've highlighted with a blue box:

 

PlansAndAddonsTable.png


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Mayor / Maire

Re: Calling international without pre-pay add on

@butts-ahoy, you can sms and mms to more countries than you can call.  Use letting you know now, so you don’t bust a vein when you try to make a call to a country not supported.

 

As for the addons...  $15 for 400 minutes, that do not expire until they are used, is a really good deal.

 

 

Mayor / Maire

Re: Calling international without pre-pay add on


@stonechucker wrote:

 

As for the addons...  $15 for 400 minutes, that do not expire until they are used, is a really good deal.

 


@butts-ahoy one further thought here:  since you were asking specifically about calling the USA, you have two options:  $8 for 200 mins or $15 for 400 mins.  The $8 add-on will only let you call to the USA (and outside your province in Canada if you are on a province-wide talk plan), whereas the $15 add-on will let you call those plus I believe it's 18 countries internationally, listed here:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Calling-an-international-phone-number/m...


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Calling international without pre-pay add on

Personally, I would hate it if I could call a number and get a surprise bill because I didn't realize it wasn't part of my calling package. I really love the fact that I know my bill will always be the same each month, no data overage, no long distance charges, nothing. I get so many calls from the USA with people looking for Blue Cross/Shield that I can only image how much their typo costs them in long distance charges. I'd rather my phone just not place the call, which would let me know, "oops I put 807-7 instead of 800-7" rather than have me have to pay a bill for an unwanted international call.