cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling Bonnie Scotland

ETusesPublic
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello Public! My dad is a senior. He's thrilled that I got rid his smartphone and bought him a flip phone 😁 I bought him a $15 plan from Public...even though he doesn't know how to text 🙃 He lives in Ontario, Canada but has family in Scotland. He's paying a fortune to call Scotland from his landline. What would be the best Add-on that I could get him so he can call Scotland? Because it is an add-on, would it roll over if he doesn't use all the minutes? Thanks for your help!

12 REPLIES 12

Also if you can pin down the rate to Scotland using VoIP.ms you can add an App, I use Zoiper, to a iPhone 4s you might drill down the cost there too. 

Have you considered Apple devices and free calling using FaceTime audio only? An iPhone 4s will work. 

ETusesPublic

They call Scotland and talk for 2-4 hrs per month so it may be worth it to use the Add-on. They have very limited internet skills so a cell plan is probably best. 

@AE_Collector wrote:

Yeah for 3.75c a minute its worth it to NOT have to figure out all the other ways of doing it. Remember that if the 400 minutes hits 0 minutes the call will just be cut off so maybe check his account to see how its doing. You can always add another 400 minutes at any time so it is there to take over when the first one runs out.

AE_Collector

Whether it's worth it to finder even less expensive alternatives really depends on how often and how many minutes will be used. It all adds up and someone who spends an hour per day could easily spend another $15 in a hurry.  I do agree that at 3.75c/minute, the next step is really looking for something free such as some internet chat program.

Yeah for 3.75c a minute its worth it to NOT have to figure out all the other ways of doing it. Remember that if the 400 minutes hits 0 minutes the call will just be cut off so maybe check his account to see how its doing. You can always add another 400 minutes at any time so it is there to take over when the first one runs out.

AE_Collector

ETusesPublic

Thanks so much for that helpful information and suggestions. It took me a week to teach him how to dial a flip phone...but he taught me how to use cutlery, so I can't say much LOL. So the add-on is the best idea!

ETusesPublic

Thank you for your suggestions but unfortunately he is not at all internet savvy 🤦

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@ETusesPublic 

If you still has his old smartphone he can use TextNow to call UK for free.

He can use wifi, or if he inserts his sim he can use it with data. 

He'll get another free Canadian number with unlimited calling to Canada USA uk landlines in Germany, I believe Sweden and more

He can also use it with a browser.

If that's all over his head, 400 minutes for $15 is pretty good, it s less than 4c/min and doesn't expire

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ETusesPublic  the $15 international ad on allows you to call the United Kingdom. Buying an add o  its a 2 step process add the funds and then buy it.  Here's an  article on buying add ons.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/purchase-add-ons-through-self-serve here's where and how to do it. 20200417_204130.jpg

It rolls over until used up. Stay safe. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@ETusesPublic 

International countries include: Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela.

his best option would be to use WhatsApp or Facebook calling etc

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @ETusesPublic ,

Addons do roll over to future cycles until used up! 🙂

Calls made to numbers starting with the following six digit combinations are not included in U.S. Roaming talk Add-Ons or U.S. calling from Canada and will not be completed when dialled: 712-432, 605-562, 641-552, 605-475, 605-477, 712-775, 559-726. Intl long distance Add-On included countries: Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, India, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Thailand, United Kingdom, United States, and Venezuela. Calls must originate from Canada.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@ETusesPublic Hi the 15 dollar 400 minute add on would work and yes it rolls over until all used up

Need Help? Let's chat.