cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Caller ID Question

chris0303
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Interesting situation with me. My Caller ID name shows up as my firstname and then the name of the company I used to work for. 

This happened because my number used to be on a corporate account controlled by my old employer (who was with Rogers). So my first name is correct, but they changed all of our last names to the name of the company I worked at.

I know there isn't a way to change my outgoing caller ID on my own...but do you know who I could contact to do this?

13 REPLIES 13

@moose786 wrote:

Hi guys, 

I just signed up with Public Mobile yesterday. Needed some clarification on how the call id works on this phone. I'm coming from Fido so my understanding of call id is that for outgoing calls your first name and last name shows, and for incoming calls, you can see the same of the outgoing recipient. 

But i see that when i make an outgoing cal it only shows the number and no name. Does public Mobile also show the name or only number?  

Public Mobile is offering the same as Fido's "Name Display" feature but only for incoming calls. Outgoing name information is not transmitted.

The name will be displayed on your phone for incoming calls if coming from a landline such as Bell Canada, or from Rogers Wireless or Fido Solutions.  This doesn't require the nubmer be saved in your phone book/contact list, nor does it require an app, nor any internet connection.

Inbound calls on most phones these days will show the phone number if identified by the caller id feature of the service provider as a default.  *IF* the phone number is listed in the contact list (address book, etc) it will most likely show the personalized (by the device owner) information available.

I can't find it anymore, but Google had a dynamic caller id option on my Nexus 5, I don't see it available now on my LG q6.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@moose786 only number for outbound.  I'm not sure about inbound.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

moose786
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi guys, 

I just signed up with Public Mobile yesterday. Needed some clarification on how the call id works on this phone. I'm coming from Fido so my understanding of call id is that for outgoing calls your first name and last name shows, and for incoming calls, you can see the same of the outgoing recipient. 

But i see that when i make an outgoing cal it only shows the number and no name. Does public Mobile also show the name or only number?  

I think this thread brings up the question of "Does Public Mobile evern transmit the name display information for outgoing calls?".  I could be wrong, but I do not believe that they do.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  I wonder a third party app on the receiving person's phone could be doing this. 

Its probably the name that was previously registered

There are many 3rd party name databases that you can use to get caller ID names

I have seen many wrong since they never get updated

@chris0303 Still bothered by this, let us know make/model of your phone. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

....and because I remember seeing this before... here's a post from a fellow forum dweller...

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Public-Mobile-has-launched-Name-Display/m...

I see business names on my phone, but rarely a residental or cellular associated name (if ever).

Of course, if I have it listed in my contacts, the phone is smart enough to display that for me.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

it only shows the name if it is on your address book. At least that's how it work on my LG G4

imm1304

@will13am wrote:

Isn't using a name for caller ID a premium function.  As far as I know, Public Mobile only displays the phone number. 

I haven't asked anyone if my name appears on their caller ID.  I know incoming name display works well on my PM phone.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

imm1304

Hey @chris0303,

Send a private message to @CS_Agent and get one of the mods to take a look.

Need Help? Let's chat.