cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call / message rate for $10 plan

ThomasY
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Does anybody know the call/message rate after 50 mins on the $10 plan?  Or I can't call/message at all?

Another question is, If I buy an  Intl Long Distance Add-on, after 50 mins, can I used that minutes for all incoming/outgoing call?

Is the  Intl Long Distance Add-on never expired?

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@ThomasY, just so that you know, there is a difference between the 200 minute and 400 minute long distance add-on package.  The 400 minutes can be used for international calls whereas the 200 minute package cannot.  If you think you will ever make international calls, then you might want to buy the 400 minute package.

@ThomasY FYI, the 400 min international calls can only be used for calling Canada, the USA, and these 18 additional countries: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Calling-an-international-phone-number/m...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ThomasY wrote:

Thanks, everyone!

I don't have too many calls, so maybe I should try the $10 plan with the add-on at the end of the current bill cycle.

@ThomasY the bigger problem is the text messages.  Incoming texts (not calls, some have made that mistake) are unlimited, but you only get 50 outgoing texts, and there is no way to augment those with add-on(s)--once you're out, you're out for the remainder of the 30 day cycle.  Also note that iPhones and some Android models (Pixel/Nexus/Essential and maybe a few others that happen to use Google's dialer app) will sometimes send text message without you realizing, cutting into your 50.  The Google dialer one is more persistent as it will do this every time you reboot the phone, but it can be stopped by removing the SMS permission from the Phone app.  For Apple, this will usually only happen for a bit when you first set it up on a new providers (such as moving the phone to PM, or setting up a new iPhone for the first time).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ThomasY wrote:

Thanks, everyone!

I don't have too many calls, so maybe I should try the $10 plan with the add-on at the end of the current bill cycle.

It's a great plan for low usage customers. Some people here will throw in some snark about seniors and their flip phones and for emergency purposes only sitting in a glove box. Not true for all $10 customers.

I would examine all your calling/texting/data usage from the past year and assuming all remains equal (said usage) then average out the highs and lows of usage and get a plan that would cover that and then if it comes out to 75 minutes then decide whether you could live with paying for an add-on for the extra.

My biggest learning changing to prepaid from years of post-paid was this thing called rollover. I thought it meant rollover the minutes of the add-on and then more minutes get added each renewal paying for the add-on each time. No it's buy once and consume over time. I don't like the term but I can't change the world. 🙂

There are people that have sat on the same add-on purchase for 2 years.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ThomasY, just so that you know, there is a difference between the 200 minute and 400 minute long distance add-on package.  The 400 minutes can be used for international calls whereas the 200 minute package cannot.  If you think you will ever make international calls, then you might want to buy the 400 minute package.

ThomasY
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks, everyone!

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ThomasY once you hit your 50 minutes of usage then the service will no longer work until the next month cycle begins, or if you purchase the $8 or $15 long distance add-on.  

I did that for my dad about a month ago, he used up his 50 minutes so I bought him the add-on as a back-up and his service worked literally within 2 minutes of applying the add-on.  I recommend buying the add-on anyways as a back-up because those add-on minutes roll over to the next cycle.

Carld123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ThomasY wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody know the call/message rate after 50 mins on the $10 plan?  Or I can't call/message at all?

Another question is, If I buy an  Intl Long Distance Add-on, after 50 mins, can I used that minutes for all incoming/outgoing call?

Is the  Intl Long Distance Add-on never expired?

@ThomasY once used it stops..no overages..but the add on will roll over until used

Need Help? Let's chat.