cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call add on not working

kathleenkelly
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hi. I bought a call add on that shows up in my account statement but is not working. When I try to call it says I need to add the add-on. This is is an urgent matter as I need the call feature to do two-step verification to pay bills. I’ve left two DMs with the moderator team but had no response. I included a screen shot of the account page that showed the add-on in my account but the public post won’t let me do so.
16 REPLIES 16

I find the textnow app difficult to use on my iPad.  Really clunky interface.  Not much better on the android platform either.

But yes, it's another option.

Chanah
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Or you can go with textnow, which has free US/Canada calling and texting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kathleenkelly wrote:

Virgin does, Fido does. Every international pre-paid plan I've ever had does (UK, Chile, South Korea). It's not a big deal, as I can use the app to solve the problem apparently. 

The two CDN ones you mention are pre-paid with a balance and then you consume the balance. It's effectively the same as having voice in the plan that you've pre-paid for. Not really equivalent. Here, you can opt to not have voice...at all. You did.

But yeah great you've got your workaround.

@kathleenkelly, if you need texting, Fongo has a small monthly cost for that in the app.  Hope this works well for you, if you use it as the main interface.

kathleenkelly

Virgin does, Fido does. Every international pre-paid plan I've ever had does (UK, Chile, South Korea). It's not a big deal, as I can use the app to solve the problem apparently. 

kathleenkelly

Follow-up - I think the Fongo app is the answer to my problems though. Thanks team!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kathleenkelly wrote:

I assumed it could receive calls and texts, as all other phones I've ever had did so. I don't ever need to send SMS messages or call anyone, and I literally only need it for dual verification requirements. 

That's quite an assumption. Particularly for a pre-paid service. What other pre-paid service have you been on that does not have a voice component in the plan that allows you to receive calls?

kathleenkelly

I assumed it could receive calls and texts, as all other phones I've ever had did so. I don't ever need to send SMS messages or call anyone, and I literally only need it for dual verification requirements. 

@Anonymous, there are funky 'data-only' options else where.  Freedom Mobile has one plan they list as Data Only, but calling and text are included with various costs/free use depending on Home and Away connections.

Muddy's the waters greatly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm puzzled why people would get a data-only plan if that's the "phone" they want to use. I can see it if one has a landline or another phone but if it's your only device then why?

If you've only just *very* recently started the 90 day plan then the mods *might* be willing to switch you to a talk included plan. And maybe might credit you the $8 back to your account. That would be goodwill 🙂

Just adding province-wide (and texting) to what you have would only be an additional $5 total. So maybe they could credit you the $8 and use that credit to bump you up to that. But then you won't be calling outside your province without that same add-on...

@kathleenkelly, can you also click on the "Plan Detail" link, and show that screen to us?  That way we can confirm exactly what the issue is?

@kathleenkelly, in the short term, install the Fongo app and get a free number.  Use that to make your calls.

Set up a future dated plan change to a plan that will include calling (and text if you want it).

kathleenkelly

So I have to wait 3 months before I can have a talk feature on my phone? 

Can I get a refund on the $8 add on then, as it is useless?

@kathleenkelly

You only have a data plan, I think.  You can't add a talk add on to a data only plan.  You need to have some basic talk plan to add the talk add on unfortuntately.....

From the add on section, terms and conditions:

1. Add-Ons are available for use only with an active plan. Long distance Add-Ons require a monthly talk feature on the rate plan.

kathleenkelly

C611688A-FB8F-4B16-B9E4-482EEE6D6384.png

As you can see it’s the 200 minutes. And yes, I did the two step process.  

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@kathleenkelly, please upload that screenshot to the community (hide personal info) to allow us here to assist you.  Which add-on are you adding, and did you complete the full 2-step process to add it (1st step pay, 2nd step re-add the addon).

Need Help? Let's chat.