cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COVID Heatlhcare Help: missing/delayed Text messages and Phone calls

cmariotti
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My wife is a HC professional in Toronto and things are only starting.

Unfortunately, as of a few days ago and continuing, she is missing many text messages (delayed or late to delivery, too late to be useful) and phone calls (suddenly she has a voicemail). She will be on the front lines and is already having these problems. Can anyone technical at Public let me (privately) if there are capacity issues or what might be happening here? I just ordered a Rogers SIM card and might have to switch her back to it to avoid these serious issues.

21 REPLIES 21

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

Trouble is, the owner had been warned, IIRC, 4 times, so it seems like they should've done something before getting their license yanked.

@CannonFodder   Some people only learn their lesson the hard way or thru their pocketbook.

Remind you of anyone? 😉  🤣 

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@mpcdesign  Take out Starbucks is most definitely open. But McDonald's is offering free coffee and tea to frontline workers and Tim Hortons is offering the same but with free delivery to hospitals.

Unless they're a certain IMBECILE downtown Vancouver Tim's that couldn't see fit to follow the provincially mandated in-house maximum number of patrons, and got closed down for their troubles! 🤬  👎 

@CannonFodder  When is the last time you got a coffee in the dtes?

Hmmm, let me think..... uhm..... never! Of course, that's only cuz I don't drink coffee..... of course..... 😉 

Seeing as that entire neighbourhood doesn't understand the concept of social distancing I can understand how difficult it is for staff to control the patrons in that location. They were closed down for having one person extra in the restaurant (11/10). But im sure the owner of that franchise has learned he needs to hire security to maintain adequate social distancing in order to continue to operate.

Yeah, I saw that earlier, on the 6:00 news..... didn't realize, 'til that story, that the place was in THAT area. Trouble is, the owner had been warned, IIRC, 4 times, so it seems like they should've done something before getting their license yanked.

@CannonFodder   Some people only learn their lesson the hard way or thru their pocketbook.

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@mpcdesign  Take out Starbucks is most definitely open. But McDonald's is offering free coffee and tea to frontline workers and Tim Hortons is offering the same but with free delivery to hospitals.

Unless they're a certain IMBECILE downtown Vancouver Tim's that couldn't see fit to follow the provincially mandated in-house maximum number of patrons, and got closed down for their troubles! 🤬  👎 

@CannonFodder  When is the last time you got a coffee in the dtes?

Hmmm, let me think..... uhm..... never! Of course, that's only cuz I don't drink coffee..... of course..... 😉 

Seeing as that entire neighbourhood doesn't understand the concept of social distancing I can understand how difficult it is for staff to control the patrons in that location. They were closed down for having one person extra in the restaurant (11/10). But im sure the owner of that franchise has learned he needs to hire security to maintain adequate social distancing in order to continue to operate.

Yeah, I saw that earlier, on the 6:00 news..... didn't realize, 'til that story, that the place was in THAT area. Trouble is, the owner had been warned, IIRC, 4 times, so it seems like they should've done something before getting their license yanked.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder  When is the last time you got a coffee in the dtes? Seeing as that entire neighbourhood doesn't understand the concept of social distancing I can understand how difficult it is for staff to control the patrons in that location. They were closed down for having one person extra in the restaurant (11/10). But im sure the owner of that franchise has learned he needs to hire security to maintain adequate social distancing in order to continue to operate.

@mpcdesign wrote:

@CannonFodder, yes, I live in Vancouver. You have no idea how people are stupid here. 

Yeah, I do..... I live in Mission, and watch Global News BC. 😉   I've seen the stories you were talking about.

@CannonFodder, yes, I live in Vancouver. You have no idea how people are stupid here. 

For example, people were hiking the Squamish Chief in BC. Sure, they were social distancing themselves. But, then when you get to the ladder, one person goes up, another right behind them. That person on top sweats and drips on the ladder, and sweats drop down below. 

The ladder is now contagious, and when you get to the top, everybody is clustered together, taking it all in. Then when you leave, you take the ladder, and repeats it again!

I get it. If I was maybe much younger, and don't have any obligations such as family, housing, vehicles to putting food on the table, and so on, maybe I would be one of those youngins. Granted, that's a different can of worms though....

@darlicious wrote:

@cmariotti  Have your wife occasionally toggle airplane mode on/off it willbreset her connection to the network. In the interim while waiting for a moderator log in to her account. Report phone lost. Log out. Wait 5 min. Log in. Report phone found. Log out. Reboot phone. This may help with the calls going straight to voicemail. Check the cell coverage in the area of the hospital one provider may have better coverage than another one.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@cmariotti, first of all, please tell your wonderful wife that I totally appreciate what she does on the front lines. Not only is she saving lives and helping others, but she is also sacrificing her well being by going into work.

I know she doesn't have to and could self-isolate, but she is doing what other health care professionals does across the world, and thinking about others and not themselves.

And not only that, for health care families and loved ones who live with them knowing that they need to stay clear from them for 14-days, but if they go into work, that 14-days becomes zero-days and repeats itself. 

I know ain't much, but here is a bouquet of flowers. 
flowers.jpg

(threads merged)

I suspect that swtiching carriers isn't likely to help. While some networks can be better than others iin certain areas, this health situation affects cutsomers at all carriers. This means that there can be network capacity issue no matter who you're with.

Here's a good resource to look up the original provider. Assuming the phone number has not been ported, you can see the provider: http://cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

cmariotti

I have reached out to the moderators... will see what happens.

I will have to switch to Rogers likely on Monday or Tuesday if this can't get resolved. Roger's only because they are likely the most used, so less external interconnect issues...

That's true, but keep in mind cellular voice traffic had been declining for over 10 years, while overall subscriber numbers have been increasing steadily.

All of a sudden, in the span of a few weeks, all those subscribers are switching from data to voice. Intra network capacity is still adequate, but they're all doing their best to add inter network capacity as quickly as possible.

@sheytoon it is interesting how the carrier brands love to toot their own horn with shill ads about coverage and speed tests and yet what really matters shows up well short when the system is stressed.  The weakest link in the chain define performance.

@cmariotti I would suggest switching to the same provider as the hospital. One of the major problems these days is inter-carrier capacity. That means from hospital provider to Telus appears to be congested in your area.

Have your wife do a few test calls from hospital to Bell and Rogers numbers during times of congestion. That should give you a good idea.

@cmariotti , as instructed contact the moderator team and have them do an account reset.  That should address the issue.  At this time I would not suggest getting a new service and doing number porting.  Companies are operating work limited staff and any glitches can leave your with no service.

Sorry to hear that this is still happening @cmariotti. It seems that all of the big 3 providers are experiencing problems, but those with access to Volte are experiencing less problems. There is no phone number private message them directly using this link  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

And I don't know, put a subject like " FRONTLINE WORKER NEEDS HELP ".  You may also consider contacting Telus directly about this problem and to ask them about transferring your wife's service and number, at least until this crises is over. 

cmariotti

Over a week ago I posted the following:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/COVID-Heatlhcare-Help-missing-delayed-T...

My wife is a frontline worker and I need a solution here...

In the middle of the night, 3am, she is getting phone calls going straight to voicemail. This is not a capacity issue at 3am.

Making calls to the hospital in the middle of the night, she is getting messages from Public Mobile about "you are not signed up for phone..." (sorry, she is telling me this hours later, so not sure what the actual message is). This morning, testing calls to her phone from the hospital, she is going straight to voicemail. If I call her phone from my PM mobile it rings as expected. If I call from our home phone (TekSavvy), it rings as expected.

Ya, so... I need a solution here... and we're working on it just isn't cutting it.

If I have to transfer phone service to another provider, I need to know which one is going to actually work, I can''t transfer (I suspect locked in for 30 days) only to experience the same non-sense. Is it possible PM can switch me over full Telus services (assuming we won't get stupid messages about not being signed up for phone). Is there someone at PM that can actually pick up the phone and contact me about solving this?

And it is being worked on by the providers. Some traffic issues can relatively easily be improved on, others not so much. Of course this is also reason to not just open up unlimited services for free during the crisis as more people who don’t really need to will be doing important stuff like streaming movies plugging up even more of the limited bandwidth.

AE_Collector

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes, it sounds like all carriers are having capacity issues because of the COVID pandemic.  I've heard that it is worse when people are with different carriers, for example two people on the Telus network will have their messages go through faster, where as if someone on Rogers or Bell tried to text or call, things might be delayed longer.

Anyways, I think no matter what company your with you'd be experiencing these capacity issues.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@cmariotti  how long was your wife's account set up?  There have been capacity problems with all the carriers. There is also problems with Texting and calling between the Rogers and Telus providers. This is from the Rogers side and should be fixed within 4 days, according to a message by another PM community member.  Link here https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Re-Not-able-to-receive-text-messages-fr...

She should restart her phone, turn it off, wait 30 seconds and restart it. Whats the make and model of her phone? Thanks. 

Need Help? Let's chat.