cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought $20 roaming package and SMS not working

ThatSeaOtter
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I've paid for the $20 USA roaming combo plan (unlimited calling, unlimited texting, and 250 mb of data) this morning and confirmed that it has been added to my account.

Data is working. Calling, SMS, MMS are not working. I've turned off phone, taken out sim card, waited and booted back up.

Still not working. I keep getting an incoming text message saying I have not purchased a US roaming package with text messaging.

I have roaming enabled, use data while roaming enabled. Nexus 6P.  The add-ons are showing under my account. Have rebooted phone. Have tried manually selecting the network...

Please help. I'm in the USA for the weekend. I see I'm on AT&T. What else can I do? Or does PM need to do something on their end?

14 REPLIES 14

ThatSeaOtter

I appreciate your link @Luddite and I will use it to escalate to moderators. This kind of basic technical problem highlights a major problem with the service provided by public mobile.

I know it's lower priced for reasons, but I paid for add-ons and they don't work. I've tried PM and left twice over similar issues in the past.

I think consumers expect more than cut rate customer service. @moderators

ThatSeaOtter

Nexus 6P. As such it is an unlocked global mobile.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A better temporary option instead of Fongo would be like Talkatone and you acquire a US number rather than a Canadian one considering you're in the US.

IIRC, Fongo requires you to pay to call outside of Canada where as Talkatone, it is free regardless if you're caling US or Canada because it's considered the same.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@ThatSeaOtter I think provisioning your add-on failed, or perhaps was given data only. You'll know for sure if you exceed 250 meg. 

I think, though it may be throwing good money after bad, that you may be able to purchase the calling/texting add-on. If you can, then your calling/texting/data plan was added as data only.

Failing that, you need assistance from the Moderator Team. Click this: message to moderators to send a private message to the moderator team with a description of your issue along with your phone number and 4 digit PIN. If you’ve forgotten the PIN, provide any 3 of the following in your message: complete mailing address, email address, alternate phone number,  last top up date & amount. Moderators are overloaded with failed activations and renewals so response will be longer than normal.

Alternatively, try an application like that from fongo.com. It provides free calling across Canada from wherever you are connected to wifi (or on cellular data).

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What phone are you using?

ThatSeaOtter

Correct. I cannot make calls or text. BUT data works! 

I've tried in 3G and LTE. There's no setting to keep exclusively on LTE.

I've almost used all 250 mb up just troubleshooting on the public mobile forums. Really frustrating and I'm not a happy customer.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ThatSeaOtter this is an unusual issue.  I notice you said data works but calling and texting don't.  Could you check your Preferred network type setting and make sure it's not set to LTE only?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ThatSeaOtter

No, I can select T-Mobile or AT&T. I've tried both.

Automatic puts me on AT&T.

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ThatSeaOtter wrote:

Yes, I've tried manually selecting the network.

Doesn't work still.

Is AT&T the only network you see?

ThatSeaOtter

Yes, I have rebooted the phone numerous times to try different iterations of troubleshooting.

Still not working.

ThatSeaOtter

Yes, I've tried manually selecting the network.

Doesn't work still.

ThatSeaOtter

Yes, it is listed under my add-ons.

swirlix
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Have you tried rebooting the phone?

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

When you log into self serve, do you see the US roaming package under " My Data & Add-Ons"?

Also, you can try going into your Cellular Network settings and manually selecting the network.

Need Help? Let's chat.