cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better deal

Brewski
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Koodo  just sent me a message and offered me  the same unlimited everything plan but with 10 gigs of data and a $0 new phone all for $60 per month. How about it Public Mobile will you match this same offer for your customers or would you rather us just go ? Times are tough and we all need to save money wherever possible. 

13 REPLIES 13

dtran3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yeah, that's very true. In that case this would be fine then.

@thirstyturtle18 wrote:

@will13am Whether something is a deal or not is in the eye of the beholder. It really comes down to how much data you will end up using. One thing also to keep in mind is how often you will use your phone outside of Canada. Koodo has daily roaming rates, whereas PM has useage addons, and only for the USA. IF you are a light to medium data user, then PM is the better deal. If you are a heavier data user, then Koodo might be worth a look. Again, in the end, Telus is trying to get more users up the chain.

On a $/gig metric the Koodo promo is great. I would argue that it doesn't fit anyone here.  I say this because Public Mobile does not have a big gig plan like what is being offered.  Customers are asked to buy more data at a great rate.  That makes a whole lot of sense to buy more than needed.

As for roaming in other countries, the $10 per day is outrageously expensive.  This is incentive enough for the budget conscious to shop local.

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Mr-Bump wrote:

Hit the nail on the head here. I usually use 3 maybe 4gb, and I'm on the 6.5gb plan. It's going to cost me $150 a year to get even more data I likely won't use. 

When Koodo offers $40/m for 4gb at 4g then I'll think about switching. For now I'm tempted to reduce my plan to PMs $40 for 4.5 plan.

I never used to use more than 500mb but now that I'm on this forum all the time I switched to the 4.5Gb plan. I have to be in the top 5% every month to break even lol. I might have a problem does any one know of PM anonymous groups Smiley Tongue

smp99

This thread got me thinking. If PM offered a 10GB plan 3G for $60 and made it available to anyone so you wouldn’t have to jump through hoops, I think it would work. Then they have those peoples or to move to Koodo if they want 

drmartin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dtran3 wrote:

But question is, will you use all of that data? Is it worth the extra money?

Some people have kids who really like YouTube. 😉

thirstyturtle18
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@will13am Whether something is a deal or not is in the eye of the beholder. It really comes down to how much data you will end up using. One thing also to keep in mind is how often you will use your phone outside of Canada. Koodo has daily roaming rates, whereas PM has useage addons, and only for the USA. IF you are a light to medium data user, then PM is the better deal. If you are a heavier data user, then Koodo might be worth a look. Again, in the end, Telus is trying to get more users up the chain.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Brewski, you think Koodo offers a better deal.  If you look past the headline, you will find that Public Mobile is cheaper.  If you want call forwarding, please pay $3 more per month.  If you cheap long distance outside the country, please pay $3 to reduce the per minute cost.  Even then it is $0.20 per minute to call the US.  Public Mobile charges $0.04 per minute.  While Koodo sells phones, they are not $0 even if that is the up front charges.  There is a tab balance that must be paid back.  Pubilc Mobile offers 4 types of rewards to help reduce the monthly fee.  Koodo has just one.  Long story short, I was offered $40/6GB back in February and I am still here.  Enough said.

thirstyturtle18

Public Mobile and Koodo are the same company - Telus, so they won't match internal offers. Telus is trying to get people to move from prepaid to post paid.

jp2

Does koodo give you rewards? There is more to consider than the plan price 

dtran3

But question is, will you use all of that data? Is it worth the extra money?

happycamper
@BrewskiBrewski

- also PM does not sell phones - its BYOD

Mr-Bump

Hit the nail on the head here. I usually use 3 maybe 4gb, and I'm on the 6.5gb plan. It's going to cost me $150 a year to get even more data I likely won't use. 

When Koodo offers $40/m for 4gb at 4g then I'll think about switching. For now I'm tempted to reduce my plan to PMs $40 for 4.5 plan.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Brewski

Public Mobile and Koodo are the same company, Telus.  Public Mobile will not match the offer and Telus ideally wants you to move to Koodo.  

Many people have moved from Public Mobile to Koodo for the migration offer.  Actually, some people actually on purpose migrate to Public Mobile hoping to get a better offer from Koodo.  

If you need 10GB data and Lte Data, go for it.  Pretty good deal, but if you only use 3-4 GB per month, staying with Public Mobile may make more sense.   

Need Help? Let's chat.