cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Best way to add US add-on?

Friends are flying to the US for 19 days soon. I suggested their best solution for phone service is to use the PM add-on. I believe it's possible to add while you're in the US?

My assumption (and understanding) is that when they land in the US, they'll get a text from PM saying "welcome to the US, would you like to add a US add-on" or words to that effect. Then they would have some steps to agree, pick a plan, arrange for payment from the CC on file, etc. This would make more sense because if they're delayed getting to US, they don't want the 10-day add-on already running.

Friends in Canada would just call their PM number, and I've told them if they run into trouble with Americans unable to call Canada (or costing $$$) I'll throw a US # on my voip.ms account and forward it to their PM number.

Is my understanding correct? Is there a better way to do this, e.g. activate before leaving (but risk of departure being delayed)?

Thanks!

=aw

Mayor / Maire

Re: Best way to add US add-on?

@ottawa wrote:

Friends are flying to the US for 19 days soon. I suggested their best solution for phone service is to use the PM add-on. I believe it's possible to add while you're in the US?

My assumption (and understanding) is that when they land in the US, they'll get a text from PM saying "welcome to the US, would you like to add a US add-on" or words to that effect. Then they would have some steps to agree, pick a plan, arrange for payment from the CC on file, etc. This would make more sense because if they're delayed getting to US, they don't want the 10-day add-on already running.

Friends in Canada would just call their PM number, and I've told them if they run into trouble with Americans unable to call Canada (or costing $$$) I'll throw a US # on my voip.ms account and forward it to their PM number.

Is my understanding correct? Is there a better way to do this, e.g. activate before leaving (but risk of departure being delayed)?

Thanks!

=aw

@ottawaMake payment (fund the account) before you go as sometimes there is trouble with voucher / cc / debit payment methods. Once they arrive dial 611 / self serve and buy the one already planned to purchase. Make sure to enable roaming services on the phone. They need to connect to a partnet network fo T-Mobile / AT&T.

Anyone who calls them won't know they are roaming. To everyone calling its the same area code/phone number. Having a US voip number is also a good plan for u.s callers.

Thanks, so if they go for the big plan they would put $20 (+tax) on the account before they go, but not actually order the add-on until they land? That makes sense.

I assume if they get a US add-on with voice, it would cover calls to US and Canada? They have $40/4.5GB@3G plan now (so Canada-wide calling). It would kill me to pay $40+tax for 3 weeks' use, but they would probably just compare to the husband's Rogers Roam-Like-Home and think $40 is cheaper than $105 (!). Admittedly $105 from R gets a lot more data than $40 from PM.

Does anyone think there's a better solution than just getting a US add-on from PM? I assume they can live within 250MB for 10 days. Also if they get the $20 T+T+250MB and burn through the data in a few days, can they add a data-only add-on after a few days, and have the T+T still work?

=aw

Oracle

@ottawa wrote:

Does anyone think there's a better solution than just getting a US add-on from PM? I assume they can live within 250MB for 10 days. Also if they get the $20 T+T+250MB and burn through the data in a few days, can they add a data-only add-on after a few days, and have the T+T still work?

=aw

Yes, talk and text will work fine if they run out data or add US data add-on. Remember that they will not be able to add the same add-on again before the 10 days expiry period. For example, if they get 1GB add-on and run out within 5 days, they will not be able to add that 1gb add-on untill 5 more days.

I am not a mod. Do not send me private message with your personal info.

New Here? - Check out Knowledge Base Articles to learn more about Public Mobile.

u can buy addon or use a 3rd party like fongo or the other apps that are similar

Oracle

Also make sure data roaming is on. On the pm phone and that the Rogers phone is is airplane mode.  Not sure what need to be do to activate Rogers roaming, but they don't want to be caught having accedently used the service.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ottawa, I agree with @RobertQc, however I recommend applying the add-on before you leave (i.e. right before you leave the house, or while you're at the airport waiting), just saying better to avoid any potential issues it's better to get it all done while you're here and then once you land you're good to go with no worries.  Worst thing is to land somewhere and then try all this stuff and nothing works and then you're spending all this time trying to figure it all out, then you miss your shuttle ride and can't reach anyone, then you have a headache, then anyone who even sneezes next to you starts to piss you off, and then when you return from your trip you'll be cursing out PM..........meanwhile all that can be avoided by just going on line for 2 minutes before getting on your flight  Smiley LOL  Have a great trip.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

One can also purchase a US Talk/Text/Data Add-on whilst in the US. Just hop on to wifi somewhere and go to the Public Mobile website, then navigate to the Add-on that you want... Bob's your uncle ! Happy New Year.

Thank you all. The main reason for waiting until landing was in case they were delayed. If they arrived a day late, they'd be okay, but if it took 2 days they'd have no coverage  on the day they fly home. I'll collate the responses for them and offer them the options.

=aw

I have to admit this feels like a foolish question: the US talk add-ons include outgoing voice calls US-US and US-Canada, right? I can't imagine a market for this if it was only US-US, but they asked and I agree it's not totally clear on the Plans page. I take incoming calls from anywhere to US to be included. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

=aw