cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best options to keep number while away ~9 months?

NMM
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all, 

I'll be leaving the country and may be away an extended period of time. I won't need any form of service on my phone, but don't want to lose my number - I want it when I'm back. 

My best option, as I understand it, is:

1. For the first ~88 days, I could use the lost/stolen feature to freeze the account. This would prevent me from paying for a plan, I'd just have to be really careful to unfreeze before the 90 day period or lose the number. 
2. After that first 90 days, I could re-activate with a plan. I see the option for a $10/mon plan with some talk and text, and I also have the option under "Make your own plan" to select a 90-day plan with no talk, no text, no data, for $25/90 days. 

My questions: 
1. Have I misunderstood anything above?

2. Can I use the lost/stolen freeze option multiple times, paying for, say, 30 days in between?
2.  If I have the -$2 credit for using auto-pay, does that apply every month or just every time I pay  (i.e., once every 90 days on a 90 day plan)? 
3. Any better option to "freeze" an account for more than 90 days while making sure to keep my number? 

Thanks in advance, hive mind! 

5 REPLIES 5

pm-smayer97
Mayor / Maire

Your method is the best option if you do not care about preserving your existing plan.

Btw, a more thorough and up-to-date article on options can be found here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/When-and-How-to-Suspend-or-Place-an-accoun...

HTH

@will13am wrote:

Doesn't fongo allow port ins?  They don't charge for phone service.  You can keep a number that way.  

There is a $25 port-in fee at fongo, but definitely an option.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Doesn't fongo allow port ins?  They don't charge for phone service.  You can keep a number that way.  

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@NMM wrote:

Hi all, 

I'll be leaving the country and may be away an extended period of time. I won't need any form of service on my phone, but don't want to lose my number - I want it when I'm back. 

My best option, as I understand it, is:

1. For the first ~88 days, I could use the lost/stolen feature to freeze the account. This would prevent me from paying for a plan, I'd just have to be really careful to unfreeze before the 90 day period or lose the number. 
2. After that first 90 days, I could re-activate with a plan. I see the option for a $10/mon plan with some talk and text, and I also have the option under "Make your own plan" to select a 90-day plan with no talk, no text, no data, for $25/90 days. 

My questions: 

2. Can I use the lost/stolen freeze option multiple times, paying for, say, 30 days in between?
2.  If I have the -$2 credit for using auto-pay, does that apply every month or just every time I pay  (i.e., once every 90 days on a 90 day plan)? 
3. Any better option to "freeze" an account for more than 90 days while making sure to keep my number? 

Thanks in advance, hive mind! 

That $25 no talk/no text/no data is just your base cost it is NOT A PLAN. Your plan needs to include at least one of the features. The ready made $10 for 50minutes/50texts is your cheapest option. (let your current plan run its course, 80 - 85 days suspension, $10 plan for 30 days, 80 - 85 days suspension, rinse-repeat as needed)

I know that it is mentioned in @Luddite 's exeptional article linked above, but just wanted to emphasize that, if you are switching to the $10 plan, you can only choose from the in-market plans available at the time of fully resuming service. If you want to keep a super-deal-promo-plan, you will need to renew that between the suspension periods.

There are also services like Number Barn for low cost parking of your phone number. If you go that route, the port-out will close your Public Mobile account and you will need to start from scratch with a provider of your choice upon your return.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@NMM 

Here is a good thread about extended absence:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/Extended-Absence/m-p/142735#U...

My questions: 

Makes sense.  You could also just disable autopay and your account will be suspended after payment date.  Still will have the 90 days to re-activate.

Yes
Only when you pay.  If account suspended, no autopay for that month.  

See Luddite's post 

Need Help? Let's chat.