cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Basic question - define "International Texting"

I am looking for an affordable plan for our daughters first phone, which will primarily be used for texting.

 

I had almost pulled the trigger on a different provider (won't mention the name), but then I realized that for their cheaper plans, when they say they include "International Texting", they mean ONLY international texting is included.. ie texts sent to a recipient outside of Canada.  On those plans, every local/in-Canada text sent would cost on a pay-per-use basis. >_<

 

I doubted that info, but I got the same answer from three different reps from that provider.

 

So now I'm considering other providers, including Public.

 

In the case of Public, when the plans refer to "International Text", do they mean ONLY texts sent out of country? 

 

Or do they mean ANY texts ... local, provincial, Canada, up to International? 

 

Based on the results of my searching here, I THINK the second answer is the correct one, but I'm a little flustered by the answer I got from that other provider, so just wanting to confirm.

 

Thank you.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Basic question - define "International Texting"

Welcome to PM. Any text to and recieved from anywhere is the answer to your question.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Re: Basic question - define "International Texting"


@Mothman wrote:

I am looking for an affordable plan for our daughters first phone, which will primarily be used for texting.

 

I had almost pulled the trigger on a different provider (won't mention the name), but then I realized that for their cheaper plans, when they say they include "International Texting", they mean ONLY international texting is included.. ie texts sent to a recipient outside of Canada.  On those plans, every local/in-Canada text sent would cost on a pay-per-use basis. >_<

 

I doubted that info, but I got the same answer from three different reps from that provider.

 

So now I'm considering other providers, including Public.

 

In the case of Public, when the plans refer to "International Text", do they mean ONLY texts sent out of country? 

 

Or do they mean ANY texts ... local, provincial, Canada, up to International? 

 

Based on the results of my searching here, I THINK the second answer is the correct one, but I'm a little flustered by the answer I got from that other provider, so just wanting to confirm.

 

Thank you.


Yes the second answer is the good one. International...and local, provincial...Good choice with public mobile!

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Basic question - define "International Texting"

It means you can text anyone in the world . 

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Basic question - define "International Texting"


@Mothman wrote:

I am looking for an affordable plan for our daughters first phone, which will primarily be used for texting.

 

I had almost pulled the trigger on a different provider (won't mention the name), but then I realized that for their cheaper plans, when they say they include "International Texting", they mean ONLY international texting is included.. ie texts sent to a recipient outside of Canada.  On those plans, every local/in-Canada text sent would cost on a pay-per-use basis. >_<

 

I doubted that info, but I got the same answer from three different reps from that provider.

 

So now I'm considering other providers, including Public.

 

In the case of Public, when the plans refer to "International Text", do they mean ONLY texts sent out of country? 

 

Or do they mean ANY texts ... local, provincial, Canada, up to International? 

 

Based on the results of my searching here, I THINK the second answer is the correct one, but I'm a little flustered by the answer I got from that other provider, so just wanting to confirm.

 

Thank you.


For PM international texting it means Canada + Outside. If you are looking for a pure texting plan Koodo also has a prepaid Unlimited Canada + International texting plan for $15/month plus if you setup autopay you get a 10% discount so it work out to $13.50 every 30 days.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Basic question - define "International Texting"


@Mothman wrote:

I had almost pulled the trigger on a different provider (won't mention the name), but then I realized that for their cheaper plans, when they say they include "International Texting", they mean ONLY international texting is included.. ie texts sent to a recipient outside of Canada.  On those plans, every local/in-Canada text sent would cost on a pay-per-use basis. >_<

 

I doubted that info, but I got the same answer from three different reps from that provider.


@Mothman I know you didn't want to name names, but I've never heard of that before, and it seems a VERY odd thing for them to offer.  Would you mind sharing which provider this was anyway?  And was it pre paid or post paid?

 

 


@hairbag1 wrote:

Welcome to PM. Any text to and recieved from anywhere is the answer to your question.


@hairbag1 yes, but it's important to note: while you are phsycially in Canada (or more accurately:  connected to a Canadian cell tower); many people mistakenly think the internationl aspect implies they can roam and text and that's just included in their plan (and as we know, it isn't).


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Oracle

Re: Basic question - define "International Texting"


@srlawren wrote:

@Mothman wrote:

I had almost pulled the trigger on a different provider (won't mention the name), but then I realized that for their cheaper plans, when they say they include "International Texting", they mean ONLY international texting is included.. ie texts sent to a recipient outside of Canada.  On those plans, every local/in-Canada text sent would cost on a pay-per-use basis. >_<

 

I doubted that info, but I got the same answer from three different reps from that provider.


@Mothman I know you didn't want to name names, but I've never heard of that before, and it seems a VERY odd thing for them to offer.  Would you mind sharing which provider this was anyway?  And was it pre paid or post paid?

 

 


@hairbag1 wrote:

Welcome to PM. Any text to and recieved from anywhere is the answer to your question.


@hairbag1 yes, but it's important to note: while you are phsycially in Canada (or more accurately:  connected to a Canadian cell tower); many people mistakenly think the internationl aspect implies they can roam and text and that's just included in their plan (and as we know, it isn't).


+1!  I should add that given this is a prepaid service, there is never a surprise bill.  All services must be prepurchased in advance. 

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Basic question - define "International Texting"


@srlawren wrote:

@Mothman wrote:

I had almost pulled the trigger on a different provider (won't mention the name), but then I realized that for their cheaper plans, when they say they include "International Texting", they mean ONLY international texting is included.. ie texts sent to a recipient outside of Canada.  On those plans, every local/in-Canada text sent would cost on a pay-per-use basis. >_<

 

I doubted that info, but I got the same answer from three different reps from that provider.


@Mothman I know you didn't want to name names, but I've never heard of that before, and it seems a VERY odd thing for them to offer.  Would you mind sharing which provider this was anyway?  And was it pre paid or post paid?

 

First, thanks to all for the clarification.

 

@srlawren , sure... being new here I wasn't sure if mentioning competitors was a faux pas.

 

The provided in question is Chatr.

 

The plans I'm referring to are the $25 "Unlimited Province-Wide Talk & International Text", and the  $15 "100 Canada-Wide Talk and International Text" ones. (I assume the same for the $10, 50 Canada-wide Talk and 50 International Text" plan)

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/chatr.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=PlanBrowse&setLanguage=en&s_cid...Smiley Tongue

You'll notice on these plans, if you expand the Details, it still specifies "International Text".

 

However on the more expensive, data-including, plans, if you expand the details, it specifies Texts to Canada, US, and International.

 

Under the Pay Per Use rates link, it shows under the Province-Wide and Nation-Wide plans that DON'T include data, there is a $0.40 charge per outgoing text.

 

I wasn't sure how to interpret this info, so I contacted Chatr.  I proceeded through four individuals there as I was doubting what I was told.

 

One of them said these plans include texts "from Canada to anywhere", which sounds proper and normal.

 

However three of them specifically said that the non-data plans ONLY include texts to an International number.  When I challenged the final rep on that, they confirmed it to be true.

 

As per their reps, their cheapest plan that includes unlimited local/Canadian texts is the $35 plan.

Mayor / Maire

Re: Basic question - define "International Texting"

@Mothman wow, I see what you mean.  That's.....really, really odd.  Why would there offer a plan where you can't text to a Canadian phone number??  I understand your confusion, and why you're asking.  Rest assured, at PM, international texting means from Canada to anywhere.

 

FYI not sure if you noticed or not, but a new $25 plan was announced today at public mobile, which includes:

- unlimited Canada-wide talk

- unlimited Internataional [yes, and to Canada and the USA] texting

- 500MB of "3G"-speed data [still delivered over 4G LTE, throttled to 3Mbps]

 

And if you sign up to AutoPay and keep it active, you will get an additioanl 500MB of "3G" speed data, for a total of 1GB.


This plan is pretty compelling.  The announcement can be found here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Get-500-MB-500-MB-AutoPay-bonus-at-3G-s...


>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Re: Basic question - define "International Texting"

@srlawren yeah, odd is a word alright... lol  

 

I wondered why, specifically, their cheapest plans (you'd think targetting young people, students, lower income, etc) would lock into International texts only... how many of those people are texting people in... France?  Russia?  Weird.

 

Anyways, I did notice that $25 plan.  It's more than we need for our daughter (plus we don't need the phone yet for her, I was just  putting out feelers).  But... I think I'm gong to check if my wifes old phone is compatible (currently paying ~$40 with Virgin, for less service than what this Public plan offers!) and if so, switch her over ASAP.