cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these plans tax-included?

magichodge
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/30for500MB-3Gspeed

Example, is it $30/month tax included or $35/month with tax included?

10 REPLIES 10

@intlhobo wrote:

Yes, that is entirely fair, but why do they not include the tax when you load your money?  That's hidden taxing.  Yes I can calculate it myself, but I shouldn't have to.  When we are being charged for something we don't need to know how much money is going to the store, we need to know how much money is coming out of our account.  I do not understand why the online system is incapable of showing the full amount being charged.  This seems extremely questionable to me

This is standard across vitually all retailers and businesses across Canada.  Merchants have always had the option to include taxes within the advertised price, but virtually none do.  I am sure that that many people would rather have the advertised prices already have the taxes added in, but if the complaint is going to be made about Public Mobile adding the tax on top of the advertised price, people would have to also complain about just every other company iin the country.

intlhobo

Yes, that is entirely fair, but why do they not include the tax when you load your money?  That's hidden taxing.  Yes I can calculate it myself, but I shouldn't have to.  When we are being charged for something we don't need to know how much money is going to the store, we need to know how much money is coming out of our account.  I do not understand why the online system is incapable of showing the full amount being charged.  This seems extremely questionable to me

@Phydough wrote:

You must add the tax from the province in wich you have your public mobile account.

This isn't quite correct, as it depends on where you purchase a voucher.  As described by @kav2001c above, an in-store purchase in of a voucher in Alberta is 5% tax added.  In Ontario, it's 13%.

Online at Public Mobile by top up or AutoPay, it's based on the area code's province.  No matter what your geographic location is.

Recharge.com voucher is a service fee based on the cost of the vouch, and doesn't apply any taxes.

So, if you're with an Ontario area code, and purchase instore at a location in Alberta, you'll pay 5% taxes.  Alberta number in Ontario based voucher location, 13%.

Way too many options here - do your research!!

Phydough

You must add the tax from the province in wich you have your public mobile account.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@magichodge

Further to all of these excellent replies...

I like to think of it this way:

New money coming into the account via voucher (at store) or autopay (visible at cc end) gets taxed.

The exception is credits and rewards.

What you see all over the account is "before" taxes.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@magichodge

If using a payment voucher then yes tax is included (as you would have paid tax at store; eg $30 + HST/PST for a $30 voucher)

If paying online system will add taxes (so pay $30 + HST/PST for a $30 plan with credit card)

Taxes are based on province the voucher is purchased from (so big savings to buy in AB) or based on phone number if paying online (which often results in extra charges for certain combinations of out of province numbers)

GreatCanadian
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Alex888 wrote:
You will need to calculate the sales tax yourself to determine how much you need to pay, it varies between provinces.

Again, not true.

If you top up your account for $40 for example, your card will be charged $40 plus taxes. Your available funds will show $40, but you have actually paid the $40 plus tax. If, for example, you purchase a $20 voucher at Canadian Tire you will pay $20 plus taxes for the voucher, and when you add the voucher to your account it will add $20 to your available funds. So if you see $40 in your available funds, that is a full $40 that goes toward your account cost.

If, when topping up, you choose to pay "Amount Due" it will automatically charge you the correct amount (disregarding rewards) plus taxes (however, it WILL deduct the $2 automatically if you have autopay enabled). If you choose to pay "Other Amount" it will automatically calculate and charge taxes on the amount you enter.

GC

Do not manually adjust payment for taxes.  They system will do it for you at time of payment.

For example, a $10 credit card top up or voucher purchase in Ontario will charge your credit card $11.30 as HST is 13%.

This is no different than any other service in Canada.  You will always be charged the applicable taxes on top of the cost of the service.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
You will need to calculate the sales tax yourself to determine how much you need to pay, it varies between provinces.

@magichodge wrote:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/30for500MB-3Gspeed

Example, is it $30/month tax included or $35/month with tax included?

No, tax is not included in the price.  As with virtually any product sold in the country by stores and companies, you need to add tax on top of the price.

Need Help? Let's chat.