cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there any tablet plans

fkrauthan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I was wondering if public mobile offers any cheap data only plans (don't need text or talk) for example for a second sim card?

I know Fido for example has there 4GB/month for 10$ as long as you have a phone plan with them. Would love to get a sim for my iPad but don't plan to use it that much (kinda looking for something in the 1-2GB/month data range for around 10$).

Or does anyone has an idea which carrier allows just a iPad plan without having to switch phone plan?

Thanks,
Florian

6 REPLIES 6

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@fkrauthan 

What plan do you currently have for your phone? Currently the only real option at the moment is Lucky's $15/250mb data only plan which jumps to 750mb when registered for autopay. All other providers require you to be an existing postpaid customer to access their cheap data only plans. So at what cost does that come with when compared to what you currently pay now at public mobile.

Going by your community account creation you may have been one of those lucky customers that activated on the fantastic black friday deal of 2019. The boxing week 2020 promotion was similar in nature and when combined with the more the merrier gifts there was 7 free GB's of add on data being given away. If you were lucky enough to have an Alberta or BC phone number most ( but not all) were fortunate enough to recieve free minutes and another 5gb data add on last summer. So knowing you get free add ons from pm and in another 6 months your loyalty reward doubling you will have at least $4 in rewards lowering your plan amount is it worth totally switching providers?

Perhaps just increasing your current plan to one with more data and hotspotting the data to your tablet for awhile will be worth waiting out another holiday season deal to activate on and maybe stack with one of Canadian Cell supplies discounted bundles that come with a free sim card. They didn't offer them last xmas but I took advantage of the boxing week offer to give my bf a second account to hotspot data from when needed as it was cheaper with free month promo and the bonus add ons then to increase his data plan. The plan was downgraded to the $15 but sits with 7gb of add on data to be used if needed and suspended when not needed.

If you choose the right promotion and depending how you stack it you can get lots of plan data for one month then by downgrading to the $15 plan with autopay, a free month credit, the bonus referral credit you can pay averaged over a year between $10-$12 a month for 250mb of plan data and 7gb of add on data. Over 12 months that's an average of 850mb of data a month plus by referring yourself you get an extra $1 reward of your current account. You may get an additional data gift from pm as well in that time period. If you don't need the service you can suspend the account for up to 90 days. Make it last about a year and you can let it cancel and activate a new account during the holidays and take advantage of the new promotional sale.

Food for thought.....I will keep you in mind the next time I see a great stackable deal that fits your needs. Here's a round up of data only plans....

https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/best-data-only-plans-canada

fkrauthan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Yeah but I would like to have a redundant internet connection for the tablet. I guess I will checkout Lucky Mobile as they seem to be the closest to what I am looking for.

Or potentially have to switch all together to Fido (there offering is not that far behind what Public offers).

@fkrauthan 

As @esjliv has suggested just use your phone as a hotspot and increase your data if needed to a plan with more data. ( ie. $40/5gb)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@fkrauthan wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if public mobile offers any cheap data only plans (don't need text or talk) for example for a second sim card?

I know Fido for example has there 4GB/month for 10$ as long as you have a phone plan with them. Would love to get a sim for my iPad but don't plan to use it that much (kinda looking for something in the 1-2GB/month data range for around 10$).

Or does anyone has an idea which carrier allows just a iPad plan without having to switch phone plan?

Thanks,
Florian

@fkrauthan 

You could use your Public Mobile device/plan as a Hotspot for a tablet.

https://support.google.com/android/answer/9059108?hl=en

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-turn-your-phone-into-a-wi-fi-hotspot#:~:text=Turn%20on%20Wi%2DFi....

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@fkrauthan 

Public Mobile doesn't have any tablet or data-only plans.  The cheapest available plan right now is $15 which includes Talk minutes as well.

Lucky Mobile I believe has a data-only plan, for a similar price you get more data.  You can check their website for details.

@fkrauthan wrote:

Sorry, buit Public Mobile does not have data-only plans. You can use Public Mobile plan data in a tablet, but remmeber that your phone number can only be active on one SIM card at a time, meaning that you would have to switch back and forth between devices if you want to also use the SIM card in a phone (there are also no data sharing plans).  The lowest priced plan that includes 1GB of data costs $25 at Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.