cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are prices going to be cheaper soon since the Federal government lowered them?

awfmilton
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does Public plan to pass on savings to customers since the pricing structure was changed by the CRTC? I was excited to hear the government finally implemented changes, but confused to not really see any changes to prices!

14 REPLIES 14

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I really don’t think so. Public mobile is such barebones all ready and already having some of the cheapest plans already (because there is no overhead and employees to pay and you need to already have a unlocked phone as you can’t get one though public mobile)

But it could be possible that if the actual big three telecoms are forced to lower prices on there plans then it could lead to two scenarios. 

1. Even cheaper prices but not for awhile or 

2. Actually increase the prices to cover that reduced revenue (even if it’s only a couple bucks) or offer really bad plan deals at same exact prices 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I believe there would have been an ongoing showdown between the government and the telecoms over pricing.  However, the ongoing pandemic is going to put a deferral to this and many other things.  The telecoms are not immune to the economic pain that is hitting the entire country.  The government has no lever with which to force any price reductions once we get to the other side of this crisis.  

zblackma
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Freedom slashed their prices. Hope the others comply soon. They may be forced to, if voip companies such as Fongo and TextNow etc are allowed into the market..

Even if - if - governmental legislation requires "True North Affordability" it's not going to happen very soon. CRTC has mandated compliance within two years and the Big Three aren't going to eagerly rush towards cutting their profits. A lot can happen in two years, politicians and laws and governments can change, new issues can push old issues away, CRTC and CWTA can "renegotiate" the specific definitions and implementations of this initiative. Even the value of the data increments themselves will erode over 2 years because Moore's Law, it'll probably be Paper Tiger Affordability decreeing they sell already cheap things at forced cheap rates.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@awfmilton wrote:

Does Public plan to pass on savings to customers since the pricing structure was changed by the CRTC? I was excited to hear the government finally implemented changes, but confused to not really see any changes to prices!

@awfmilton  I suspect they won't since Public's prices are way below the government's recommendations.

awfmilton

I've been here for almost 2 years, I've got it down to 11 dollars a month, and I get 4% cash back by paying my bill with my KOHO card! 

koho.ca 🙂

edited by comptuergeek541: referral codes removed

@Anonymous wrote:

@awfmilton wrote:

Lol, no! I saw that they slapped those stickers on the existing plans. Hilarious. But I agree, they do meet the requirements for true north affordability. I was expecting all plans to be reduced in price, or for all plans to get more data. 

It seems like Public is saying something like "our plans were already low enough, so we're not changing prices".

I think this is exactly right. Talk to your MP if you don't think it's sufficient. PM's plans are already below government targets. They can slap their own little moniker on their plans and say we're done.

I think True North Affordability is Telus's marketing buzz word.

Unforutnatley, placing a logo next to the plan details didn't change anything. If other carriers offer better plans, some customers wil naturally switch. It's often the loss of customers that encourages a carrier to compete.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@awfmilton wrote:

Lol, no! I saw that they slapped those stickers on the existing plans. Hilarious. But I agree, they do meet the requirements for true north affordability. I was expecting all plans to be reduced in price, or for all plans to get more data. 

It seems like Public is saying something like "our plans were already low enough, so we're not changing prices".

I think this is exactly right. Talk to your MP if you don't think it's sufficient. PM's plans are already below government targets. They can slap their own little moniker on their plans and say we're done.

I think True North Affordability is Telus's marketing buzz word.

awfmilton

That's great too! But I was actually referring to the wholesale rates issue. So the big 3 sell voice, sms, and data services at rates only available to wholesalers. I always just assumed Public set their rates based on the wholesale rates.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@awfmilton wrote:

Public Mobile is already meeting or beating those prices required for the Ture North Affordability or whatever they are calling it.  Stick around for a year and your bill will go down for sure!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

According to the article for the big 3:

The price reductions for the three national carriers could look like this:

• 2 GB plans that currently cost $50 would drop to $37.50.

• 4 GB plans that cost $55 would drop to $41.25.

• 6 GB plans that cost $60 would drop to $45.

awfmilton

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@awfmilton Are you referring to True North Affordability thing? It is implemented by PM already because plan prices are lower than for big 3. Or you mention something else?

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@awfmilton wrote:

I have not heard of planned cuts yet from PM.

Have a look at this article.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wireless-cellphone-fees-1.5484080

Liberals give big 3 wireless providers two years to cut prices by 25 per cent

Need Help? Let's chat.