cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any upcoming promos for LTE upgrade?

MadeJust
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

For the most part the 3G plan I have is ok, especially the price since I can’t really afford much more than what I’m paying, however I’m often finding my connection either loses “LTE” signal completely (drops down to 3G), or drops down in speed so much that I can’t load any webpages, or kijiji, etc.

I know my speed is reduced, but is my coverage or connection reduced as well because I’m only on 3G? My friend is with Telus and he never has a problem with LTE.

I’ll admit I am starting to get frustrated with the weak signal, so I’m wondering if there’s going to be any promos upcoming that’ll allow me to upgrade to full LTE and if that’ll even help with my data coverage/connection reliability/signal strength.

8 REPLIES 8

@lukevader5G will not be remotely ready for another few years at least. Currently they are battery hogs and requires new nodes every other block in urban environment. I would give it at least 5 years before it will be common place. Another few more years after that for 3rd tier places like Public Mobile get it.

However because of 5G I can see Freedom will at least with par with the Big 3 in terms of performance because it is a new tower landscape.

The people who are benefitting from 5G right now? Condo building owners who have space to rent out to telcos for towers.

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It seems odd that companies like pm and lucky are promoting these boring 3g speeds when the new and latest is 5g. How about PM just throttle the plans to 10 instead of 3? Make everyone happier with their decision to stay or join?

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@MadeJustWhat kind of phone do you use? If you use a phone that is from China OnePlus/Xiaomi etc.. chances are the signal will be weak because the phone has to incorporate the frequencies of Chinese bands and they have to take out some frequencies that are optimized for North America.. that is nothing much you can do if that's the case other than to get another phone.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@MadeJust even if you're on a "3G" plan, you will be able to use the entire LTE network. Only your peak speed is limited.

There's no difference in coverage for you and a Telus subscriber.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MadeJust 

Which phone are you using?

To eliminate hardware issue, when you are together at the same location, switch SIM cards between your phone.

How is the signal with your friend's SIM card in your phone and your SIM card in your friend's phone?

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@MadeJust wrote:

For the most part the 3G plan I have is ok, especially the price since I can’t really afford much more than what I’m paying, however I’m often finding my connection either loses “LTE” signal completely (drops down to 3G), or drops down in speed so much that I can’t load any webpages, or kijiji, etc.

I know my speed is reduced, but is my coverage or connection reduced as well because I’m only on 3G? My friend is with Telus and he never has a problem with LTE.

I’ll admit I am starting to get frustrated with the weak signal, so I’m wondering if there’s going to be any promos upcoming that’ll allow me to upgrade to full LTE and if that’ll even help with my data coverage/connection reliability/signal strength.

@MadeJust  Are you both using the same phones when comparing? If not maybe try using your sim in his phone.

@MadeJust 

In the last year or so, there have been no LTE promos for Public Mobile.  PM seems like concentrating on their 3G plans and most promotions are with 3G data.  There might a Koodo migration offer in the future, which offers LTE data.  

RossN
Mayor / Maire

nobody here knows that would be up to PM to tell us allSmiley LOL you can sign up for deal alerts on the main page though

Need Help? Let's chat.