cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any support from Public Mobile for "Non-urgent Health Teletriage" during the COVID-19 pandemic?

Trishalee15
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have never been over my minutes before in the last 3-4 months of having Public Mobile, but have been forced to be on hold with the Health Link number due to a sick child with Pneumonia.  Topping up my card before minutes ran out was very stressful.  Due to how busy the Health Link number is at 3:30 in the morning, I can not be the only one experiencing that issue.  Please help ease the stress by making "Non-urgent Health Teletriage" calls free.

17 REPLIES 17

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Trishalee15 

On the $15 plan. 

As mentioned try the 800 number whenever possible.

Best practice is to always have the $5 500 minutes add on, ready to back you up. They don’t expire.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jor123 wrote:

@smiley3Don't all calls use up minutes (if not on an unlimited plan), whether toll free or not?

Semantics.:) Yes "all calls use up minutes". But not all calls consume countable minutes. Toll frees and calls that drop to voicemail don't.

I'll grant that some of this may not be official and subject to change at any time without notice.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@smiley3 Don't all calls use up minutes (if not on an unlimited plan), whether toll free or not?

Yes, all PM add ons except the 10 day US Roaming add ons roll over until everything in them, data or minutes has been consumed. So if just a little is needed, putting an add on onto your account makes it a good insurance policy that can last quite a number of months, maybe even years.

AE_Collector

Trishalee15
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had no idea that they would roll-over.  That is great news!  Thank you for your reply.

Granted the Telus wifi network just as large as Shaws, but Telus always gives access to anyone, not just their own customers like Shaw normally does. Just saying.....

AE_Collector

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Maybe it is only a matter of time before the Canadian companies give relief for cell phone usage during the covid pandemic like the US has started doing:

Coronavirus: What Cell Phone & Internet Service Providers Are Doing

https://www.whio.com/business/personal-finance/coronavirus-what-cell-phone-internet-service-provider...

If you need wifi to save data on your cell phone and live in western Canada:

Shaw Communications Inc. announced it is providing free access to Shaw Go WiFi – Canada’s largest WiFi network – across Western Canada.  Shaw will give everyone complimentary and unrestricted access to Shaw Go WiFi network hotspots regardless of whether or not they’re a Shaw customer.

I haven’t checked out or kept up with what other providers have done, the only thing I’ve heard was home internet providers removing limits on the amount of data per month to allow for working from home etc. But as soon as service level on the $15 plan gets bumped towards the same as the $40 or $50 plan it quickly becomes unfair to those willing to pay for the higher service level.

All companies are going to be hurting to various degrees because of this and soon. Certainly not telecoms anywhere near to the extent that airlines, hotels, cruise lines and now restaurants, bars, theatres etc etc will be hurting. Some companies are going to go bankrupt before this is over as well. So who decides what companies should give out for free and what they shouldn’t be expected to hand out? 

In this case, there is a simple solution to keep costs down, call the 800 number. That is why most of us are here, to keep costs down by doing things ourselves including finding less expensive ways to use a cell phone on a budget. 

As always, JMHO....

AE_Collector

@smiley3  @AE_Collector  I'm struggling to see the logic that @Trishalee15 and @gnochistickate  are trying to take advantage of public mobile by accessing a vital government help line during a time of crisis and not wanting it to "cost" them minutes as they sit waiting on hold for hours because of the unusual circumstances we are currently experiencing.

I would think the opposite.....that public mobile would shudder to think that those on the lowest cost plan who can ill afford to be adding calling add ons to access healthlink during a world wide pandemic. If a prepaid mobility provider cannot adjust it's system to offer unlimited services to its customers like a post paid provider can....finding ways to help other members access the same phone line without it costing them minutes should be considered a good deed.

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Health Link can also be accessed through the Canada-wide toll-free number, 1-866-408-5465.

Call this number instead of 811, then it won't come off your minutes. 

gnochistickate
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am currently on hold with 811 (Quebec info-santé) and have been for the last 2 hours, and it is using up my minutes as we speak. I just bought the $5 add-on, and may have to buy another one before I get through to someone at the health line. 

smiley3
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Health Link can also be accessed through the Canada-wide toll-free number, 1-866-408-5465.

Call this number instead of 811, then it won't come off your minutes.  

It's not really up to Public Mobile if you want a super cheap plan without unlimited talk!

@darlicious 

I am not certain what the exact scenario is, IE: what the first number called is but if an 800  number is called initially (I believe it has been verified that toll free 1-8xx calls ARE not counted towards minutes in PM's limited minute plans), even if you are then transferred to a 10 digit non toll free number you are not going to begin having minutes deducted by PM mid call. You are on a toll free call for the duration.

I know many providers have offered up some extended service levels during this but PMs $15 plan is so easy supplemented with the ultra inexpensive 500 minute $5 plan AND it is so easy to pop into Self Serve and change plans to one more suited to current needs that IMHO we shouldn't expect to be given unlimited use for $15/month. 

AE_Collector

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Trishalee15 , I would suggest getting a plan with unlimited calling for the next little while.  Many carrier brands have offered relief on certain pay per use features.  It doesn't look like Public Mobile has the appetite for a competitive response here.  

@Trishalee15  Every province has a toll free phone line to connect you to government services. When they ask you where you are calling from pick a smaller town. If you are in bc dont say you are calling from Vancouver or Victoria. Instead choose Courtney or Merritt and ask that they transfer you to the healthlink line. If they are hesitant to do so explain that you keep running out of minutes due to long wait times. By transferring the call it should remain as a toll free number and not charge you minutes. The number in bc is: 1 800 663 7867

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

To go with what @GR said. Below is the two step guide with pictures on how to add an add-on to your account.

Guide Click here 

You may also want to consider downloading the Textnow app. You get a Canadian number in your area which will allow you to call and text for FREE over Wi-Fi to Canada and USA numbers.

People can even leave you a voicemail if you're not online.

GR
Mayor / Maire

@Trishalee15 i would recommend buying the 5$ 500 minute add on which is like 1 cent a minute.  It will keep rolling over every month until all used up.  Just login to your account and put 5$ in your available funds and then go in purchase add on and buy it

Need Help? Let's chat.